VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I have been trying to figure out how to get my SE W810i to play MP4 videos at the full screen size. The screen is 176x220, but it only allows QCIF videos at 176x144. Trying any other resolution will either cause the phone to return an error or treat the file as if it is audio and play only that. I have done mucho searching in all the cell phone forums (Howard Forums, ESATO, SE-ENSE, etc) with no luck. Everyone seems to think it's impossible. I am very surprised that no one has come up with a patch or hack, since this model has been customized like crazy by the community. Anyway, the walkman player will rotate and stretch a 176x144 video to full screen, but of course, it looks like crap. I am assuming that if the phone can do this, it has the ability to play a 220x176 video landscaped.

My experiment is to try to trick the phone into thinking it has a 176x144, when it is really being presented with a 220x176 video, encoded at 90 degrees (effectively 176x220). I am using The Matrix, ripped from DVD to XVID AVI and AAC MP4A files. I used a program called ABC AVI Tag Editor to edit the AVI header to show 176x144. I checked with GSpot after, and it shows it is 176x144. The only problem is, when I mux the modified video and audio into an MP4, the final MP4 shows that it is 176x220. Does anyone know how I can make the outputted MP4 show a 176x144 frame size in the header? I can't seem to find any info or program on editing an MP4 header.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know how to make an MP4 video show a different frame size in the header or stream, than the actual frame size?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your phone possibly only support x16 video sizes and thus you need to use 224 not 220 ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ooh, that's a good one. I'll try that and let you know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When you go from hacked AVI (which contains the MP4 video and AAC audio) to actual MP4, you're stripping the hacked container and encapsulating the media into the new MP4 container. You can see this happen when you cross convert with YAMB/MP4BOX.
    That's part of your problem, also as there can be flags/sectors in both the MP4 container and the elementary MP4 video stream that describe the video size, you may need to hack BOTH (although I'd try the elementary video stream 1st).

Also, QCIF is a standard, an MPEG "profile" if you will, and for ESPECIALLY embedded devices to work, they have to have content that conforms to that spec. So,...
    Squeeze/Pad/Crop/Resize if you have to, but you'll probably end up having to leave it as-is. BTW, QCIF won't support anamorphic ARs, so its either fullscreen 4:3 style or hardcoded/padded 16:9 style, IMHO.

Scott
    Quote Quote