VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello ,
    I am looking for a external dvd burner that comes booktyped (if any do) or is easily Booktyped.
    I do not want to have to use third party software, because I have never done this before.

Also I have a Disc Printer, so I am not interested in Lightscribe. I have a ton of Tayo Uden +R
    discs so I don't think I need a Dual Layer Burner either.

Can anyone Please give me some advice on this subject, because I am inexperienced in this matter.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just get any of the currently popular internal models and install it into an external case yourself. You then get to choose the burner type that you want and a case that you like.

For general burning, any of the name brand models would suit you fine, and they all support DL media, whether you need it or not.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI - None of my LG's allow for Booktype changes to RW media
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get any of the latest samsung external dvd burner which can booktype to dvdrom for DVD+R media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should go to cdfreaks and ask the same question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to buy a DL burner. Not because you wish to burn DL but because any burner which cannot burn DL is old stock, and likely to need firmware updates - which may or may not be available based on the specific drive and its maker.

Whether a drive has lightscribe is irrelevant, except as it affects the price. It adds no additional hardware to the drive so there is no risk of having more to fail, and it is so slow that only the terminally demented will use it. Basically it has firmware to allow it to use the laser in the drive to burn a label onto an upside down DVD. This was a fun trick an HP engineer performed which HP turned into a product. Neat trick, cruddy product.

I am assuming that since you want a drive that will booktype out of the box, you also are adverse to any other reasons to update firmware. (But it is really unavoidable).

I recommend buying a drive from a brand which actually manufactures drives. Like Samsung or LG. This eliminates vendors like I/OMagic and other folks who buy a drive, buy a box and presto have an external product. If you want a product like that you can save $20 or $30 by building one yourself, and at least know how to get support for the actual burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ya' all are telling the OP to buy a internal dvd burner and use a external closure for it which is great if the OP was experienced in this area. he clearly states he is not. Not all not all external enclosures will work with all dvd burners. some dvd burners don't work w/external enclosures that have the oxford or prolific chipsets. basically it would depend on what brand the internal dvd burner is and also which external enclosure along w/what chipset it uses. therefore that's why i suggested to just get a external SAMSUNG dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not telling him to put an internal in a box. I'm telling him to not buy an Internal put into a box by an aftermarket supplier - IO-Magic, HiVal, IOmega or a slew of other companies. There is some really lame crap out there from companies that don't make drives. Buy an internal put in a box by a real burner maker like Samsung or LG or Lite-ON etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I/O Magic & HiVal companies just use rebadged drives from different manufacturers. A few years ago they used BENQ 1640's, 1650's & 1655's which were excellent burners. I have no clue what they use now.

You're telling the OP to buy a internal burner by SAMSUNG, LG or LITEON. I'm saying it's a good idea for someone who's knowledgeable about dvd burners and stuff. But the OP states he isn't so why even bother making it more confusing for him to buy a internal burner made by those companies when it's easier to have the OP buy a external dvd burner period. Too many complications in explaining and researching which dvd burners will work correctly with different chipsets of external enclosures. Just my 2 freaking cents!
    Quote Quote  
  10. > Whether a drive has lightscribe is irrelevant, except as it affects the price. It adds no additional hardware to the drive so there is no risk of having more to fail, and it is so slow that only the terminally demented will use it.

I think an extra chip is required for Lightscribe. I seemed to recall reading that at CDFreaks, where someone pointed an extra chip on a Lightscribe writer that wasn't on a non-Lightscribe model that was similar.

Labelflash might only be firmware dependent.

In regards to internal+enclosure/external, I would rather try to learn something new, but whatever makes you comfortable. The drawback with internal + enclosure is that it may have problems writing at >8x because of the chipset problems, as someone else mentioned (not that I recommend burning faster than 8x, anyways).

BTW, if it's just for home use, an el cheapo way of doing it is getting an internal writer and using one those IDE/SATA to USB adaptors, such as
    Quote Quote