VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Is the time finally right for you to get bluray and/or hd-dvd?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adam
    Originally Posted by Conquest10
    Wasn't American Chopper shot on DV until it went HD?
    No, but it looks like it wasn't shot in 35mm either. It was always shot in "HD" since the beginning. They used varicams for the first three seasons and then switched, downgraded really, to an AJ-HDX900 HD camcorder.

http://www.dv.com/news/news_item.php?articleId=196602590
    Then why are older episodes broadcast upscaled?
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, but it looks like it wasn't shot in 35mm either. It was always shot in "HD" since the beginning. They used varicams for the first three seasons and then switched, downgraded really, to an AJ-HDX900 HD camcorder.

Why do you think the older episodes are upscaled? I don't see any reason why they would be since they were filmed in HD, that's what a Varicam is. In any case it doesn't matter how any given broadcaster chooses to deliver it, all that matters is how the master was filmed and stored. Its HD so its ripe for release on an HD format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not to get too off topic but since the STAR TREK TOS (The Original Series) remasters were mentioned I just wanted to say that as a STAR TREK TOS fan I have seen several of the episodes in HD on HDTV broadcasts (no HD-DVD here) and the quality is simply outstanding both in terms of the image quality and the new CGI stuff. Normally I would bark at such "remastering" i.e., the new CGI but it looks awesome and they really tried to just "enhance" the old footage without going "overboard" and changing the "meaning" of the shots etc.

A job well done that I hope becomes available on Blu-Ray one day soon as then I'll buy it. For now I'll catch the new HD versions when I can on TV for free

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Why do you think the older episodes are upscaled? I don't see any reason why they would be since they were filmed in HD, that's what a Varicam is. In any case it doesn't matter how any given broadcaster chooses to deliver it, all that matters is how the master was filmed and stored. Its HD so its ripe for release on an HD format.
    There you go again, geez.
    They were NOT shot with varicams, I *was* there and I don't care what it says on some site (maybe much later they have switch, many productions did, but not during the 1st season).
    If I find any photo from the set where cams are seen I will tell you exactly what it was shot with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DereX888
    American Chopper... They were NOT shot with varicams, I *was* there and I don't care what it says on some site (maybe much later they have switch, many productions did, but not during the 1st season).
    What?! Are you saying some web site has inaccurate information? How could this be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    American Chopper... They were NOT shot with varicams, I *was* there and I don't care what it says on some site (maybe much later they have switch, many productions did, but not during the 1st season).
    What?! Are you saying some web site has inaccurate information? How could this be?
    When it's all said and done who gives a rat's ass what some dumb motorcycle reality show was shot on. You have picked a poor example to get all upset about DereX888.

In fact you have been very disagreeable during this entire thread. I wish you'd can it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    jagabo that was funny
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    When it's all said and done who gives a rat's ass what some dumb motorcycle reality show was shot on.
    Har! That was even funnier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marvel2020
    don't intend to buy any other HD-DVD that I already own on DVD except maybe the LOTR trilogy when it comes out on either format
    Unfortunately that won't be any time soon I suspect. They along with Star Wars seem to be waiting for the final nail in the coffin of hd-dvd before commiting to BLURAY.

I would have liked hddvd to win but if the big studios really are jumping to bluray than the war will be over soon. On the upside there are rumors that Microsoft will offer bluray support in the future for the 360 so you wouldn't have to buy a whole new dedicated player.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote