VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I am new to this forum. After many long hours of searching everywhere for an answer on how can I burn video to a DVD RAM Disk, that will play in my Toshiba DVR recorder connected to my big screen TV. I tryed every software program out there it seems. Roxio, Nero, Pinnacle ECT. Most people just said to forget it. Well I found out how to do it, and I wanted to share it with anyone out there that wants to know. There is a Software Program called

Cyberlink PowerProducer 4 This software will let you copy video unto a DVD RAM Disk on your computer drive. Then play the video back on your TV using your DVR recorder. I have the Toshiba RD-XS52, but I assume it will also work for the Pannasonic recorders as well. Just make sure that the DVD RAM disk you are going to use is Formated in your Recorder, before you put it into your DVD RAM compatible computer drive.
    Quote Quote  
  2. most computer dvd drives are not compatible with DVD-ram. Also DVD-ram is more expensive than DVD-rw (+ -) there really is less and less use made of DVD-ram. Im just waiting for the re-writable versions of the hi-def formats to come out, blu-ray is available at high prices, but hd-dvd is noticeable by its complete absence from the PC.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious as to why the OP chooses to use DVD-RAM to watch programs stored on his/her PC. DVD-RAM is OK for something that is going to be watched once and then ereased, but DVD-RAM discs are expensive compared to DVD-/+RW or DVD-/+R, incompatible with most set-top DVD players, and perhaps not sufficiently stable for archiving recordings.

I purchased an LG 4163 DVD drive specifically because it was read/write compatible with DVD-RAM discs. While I have read DVD-RAM discs, I have never had the need to write to one. I mainly use DVD-RAM to record things I plan on watching right away and then erasing. To record something that I want to save, I use DVD-RW because tranferring video to my computer for processing is far easier using that format.

If I am going to go to that much trouble, I author a DVD for my edited recordings, then I burn a DVD-RW if I need to test it, and finally burn to DVD-R for a permanent copy. I use DVD-RW and DVD-R because they are compatible with most DVD players, not just my recorder, and DVD-R is thought to be more stable for long-term storage than DVD-RAM or DVD-RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    ... but DVD-RAM discs are expensive compared to DVD-/+RW or DVD-/+R, incompatible with most set-top DVD players, and perhaps not sufficiently stable for archiving recordings.
    ... and DVD-R is thought to be more stable for long-term storage than DVD-RAM or DVD-RW.
    I think I need to disagree with you on the point of DVD-RAM, not being stable. One distinct advantage is the stability; however, I agree you on the rest of the points,i.e., not campatible, more expensive and slower write. Here's more info on DVD-RAM Wiki:

Advantages of DVD-RAM
    * Long life — without physical damage, data is retained for an estimated 30 years minimum. Ideal for video evidence recording in CCTV applications amongst many other uses.
    * Can be rewritten over 100,000 times (DVD±RW can be rewritten approx. 1,000 times)

TS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ks47
    I think I need to disagree with you on the point of DVD-RAM, not being stable. One distinct advantage is the stability; however, I agree you on the rest of the points,i.e., not campatible, more expensive and slower write. Here's more info on DVD-RAM Wiki:
    I read at least one report about DVD-RAM instability here at this site. I don’t think someone was making that up. Wikipedia is not really any better as a reference source than the forums at this site, since anyone can also post anything they want there, true or not. Even a middle-school student knows better than trust Wiki. …and article you cited does not even have a bibliography.

Originally Posted by ks47
    * Can be rewritten over 100,000 times (DVD±RW can be rewritten approx. 1,000 times)
    Claims like these drive me crazy. You should be using the word “estimated” somewhere in this part as well, and I have serious doubts that either 100,000 or 1,000 rewrites reflects what would be typical for home use, since discs get scratched and whatnot from being handled. Under home conditions, I would not be surprised if their lifespans were fairly close.

Also, not all individual discs are of the same quality. I purchased 12 DVD-RAM discs, and of these, two died after being re-used fewer than five times, and were not scratched or dirty. They should have been good quality (they were Panasonic brand) and were used exclusively in a Panasonic DVD recorder. Some have said that formatting DVD-RAM discs more than once shortens their life. I only formatted them one time, so I can’t blame the problem on that. The Office Depot brand DVD-RW discs I buy on sale have a better track record and cost half as much or less.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually my experience with DVD-RAM media is that they last for a really long time.

I have a Toshiba SD-W2002 capable of reading some really old Type I 2.6/5.2 GB cartridges that are functional, but these are not used much as they are really slow to read and write.

I also have a few Maxell 9.4 GB DVD RAM 4.7 Type I DRM94F that were used as backup devices back in 2002. I'm still using these with my Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder and I will not throw them until they start developing problems. This media has the problem of been slow, but since the DVD recorder burns them at 1x, it is not a problem.

I also have very good experience with more recent Panasonic DVD-RAM media.

Some SmartBuy DVD-RAM media did crash on me...

I would say for long term reliability get good brands.
    Quote Quote