VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Hitachi DZ-GX5080 last weekend, and I bought a 5 pack of 80mm
    DVD-RW discs. I recorded a bunch of just random stuff at different
    quality settings then I finalized the DVD using the Camera, but when I put
    the DVD in my XP or Vista machines it doesn't play them but i can explore the discs.

The directory structure is like this from my PC's:

DVD root
    -DVD_RTAV (folder)
    --VR_mangr.bup
    --VR_mangr.ifo
    --VR_Movie.vro
    -RTR_EXTN (folder)
    --rx.dat
    --VR_Stdum.000
    .sys-reserved-rw-bitmap.grow

If i place the disc back in the camera i can play back these files but no
    longer have an option to finalize the disc. I have the option to format the
    DVD again but I don't want too do that. I'm going to put it in my DVD player
    tonight (Xbox 360) and see if it will play back but I doubt it. I did find
    this though:

http://www.mediostream.com/Products/index_DVDVRextractor.html

But I don't want to have to buy something to just view my DVD home movies on
    my PC, that was the point of straight to DVD. Is there a better way to do this for instance formatting the MiniDVD's differently using maybe VF mode instead of VR or a different media type? I want to get this as simple as possiable before my first born daughter arrives in Feb so i can share the discs with friends/family.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will The --VR_Movie.vro Play if you open it in a player?

My experience with dvd-cams is limited, Can you see the vts and vob files thru your comp (Im assuming Windows) If you can copy them to your desktop or a file you can find. Then Take a free program like IMGBURN and build and ISO (there are tutorials and walkthroughs for doing this easily) Then IMGBURN will burn it to a dvd for you to use.

Another test would be: Explore the dvd drive with the dvd-rw in, You should see "VTS_01_1" And more but start here. You can play the individual Vts files.

I had to finalize the disks before they would play in a computer or dvd player. But I didnt like the menu so I used other programs to change all that. Like I said I only have limited experience with DVD-Cams but enough to stay away. Good Luck

Best Regards

Jensen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even after i finailzed the Disc i still have the same dvd structure as before, i'm assuming that VR_Movie.VRO is the actual movie since it is rather large but i've not found any way to play that back on a PC. And compared to a normal DVD Movie disc this structure seems strange to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did just find this, but it cannot possiably be this easy can it?

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=107425&mpage=1&#112521
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From What I can see vro is a codec, find the right codec from Hitachi. Or you can search thru a ton of codec-packs. Do you have a software disc from Hitachi that might have the right codec on it? Ill keep searching for one.
    HV30+Wide Angle HD Lens, Rode Stereo Mic, Manfrotto Tripod System, Canon ZR 850
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey try it!! Cant hurt you'll have original copies on your disk anywhase!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to copy to .VRO file to the PC and rename it to .MPG but i lose any "Chaptering" thats done by the camera it becomes one big movie. Is there an application that will retain the chaptering done on the camera?

it appears that AVS Tools and DVD Interigator will covert .VRO to DVD but i don't know if it will retain chaptering i'll try tonight and see.

http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx
    http://www.authoringware.com/vro_main.htm
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VRO file is your movie. This is similar to what you would find from a DVD recorder.

Have you tried using DVD-Shrink or similar program?

There are a few programs that will edit the VRO/VOB files directly "MPEG Video Wizard" is one and "Ulead DVD MovieFactory" is another (I am sure there are others). If you just want to convert the data to a standard DVD try DVD-Shrink and if you change the file from VRO to VOB or MPG then the files referencing the VRO (your chapter info) will not work. ONLY change the file name if you intend to edit and not use the existing chapters. DVD-Shrink if it works will re-create a new copy but a standard DVD VOB version with chapters menus.

You can download a trail version of Ulead DVD MovieFactory. I would try this program first. To me it is simple to use and makes it easy to add chapters, edit and build a dvd interface quickly. You would be able to put about 4 of the mini-dvds onto one standard DVD, if you are using DL-mini DVD's then you can only put about two of them on to one DVD disk.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to have found the solution to my issue, aside from my first MiniDVD i recorded in VR mode, i still have to convert that. But going forward if i record the MiniDVD's using the VF mode it creates a DVD that uses "Standard" directory structure and formatting that is readable on stand alone DVD players. VF mode doesn't have all the abilities of VR but it creates the most compatible disc.

So if anyone buys a DVD cam and is having trouble with compatibility my advise is to use VF mode if it's available.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, Merry Christmas!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDA reads these directly.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote