I'm having a problem with both DVD Decrypter and DVD Fab giving really slow ripping speeds in Windows Vista. For example, DVD Decrypter will rip at around 5x for a few seconds, then taper off and go to 0x for about 10 minutes before picking up for a few seconds again.
I recently upgraded my PC -- going from a 1800+ AMD to a 3200+ AMD (yes, I know, neither of these are great) and ended up having to re-install Vista. Prior to re-installation, I had no problems ripping (5x minimum speed) I also upgraded my RAM to 1.5 GB.
Now, I'm getting this starting and stopping and it's taking as much as 12 hours to rip a DVD. I've tried everything including checking the DMA, uninstalling and re-installing the ATA controller and upgrading my firmware on my DVD drives (NEC 3500A and a Samsung SH-S182M).
Any other suggestions???
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Do you have any add-on antivirus or other similar programs that might effect this? My Vista computers rip about the same speed as my XP computers. My first guess is that something is 'scanning' your files as they are transferred.
If you go to 'Control Panel>Performance information', then 'Advanced tools', then look at the 'Event log', you should get a lot more info about what is really going on. There is also a 'Performance monitor' there that will work in 'real time'.
How much memory do you have and what CPU? It would help considerably if you would fill out your computer details.
You could also check your 'Device Manager' to check your memory and CPU usage. And have you updated your motherboard drivers when you reinstalled or changed them from the previous install? Drivers are very critical with Vista. The standard ones may not be the best.
I actually figured out the problem. It wasn't with my DVD writer / drivers at all. It was actually the portable hard drive I was using as the destination for the rip.
I tried ripping to a standard hard drive and the speed was fine. I had used the portable in all of my previous rips (prior to Vista and the CPU upgrade) so I switched the USB port it was attached to and strangely, the speed is now fine again (guess that port is malfunctioning).
On some systemss the front ports behave as USB1.1 ports (slow) while the rear ports behave as USB 2.0
Generally the makers deny it.
Glad you got it figured out. I'm sure someone would have figured it out for you had it been mentioned in your OP....." Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
Yes, I should have mentioned the portable hard drive in my OP. I guess I kept thinking about the read speed itself and not the time it takes to write the buffer to the hard drive. That would explain why it would go fast then stop completely.
Oh well, lesson learned...