VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking into buying a HD DVD Recorder with built in Tivo. Mainly to record tv shows and sports (live boxing).
    Im just curious if a fight or movie is 3 hrs long how would you able to fit it onto a DVD?
    I know that XP or fine mode is highest qualty and can only fit ONE hour onto a single DVD.

So does the HD DVD recorder allow you to keep inserting blank DVD's until you get all 3 hours of boxing in 3 separate DVDs? I want all 3 hours while preserving the best quality.

Or if it runs more than an hour am I screwed and cant burn it onto a DVD (in highest qualty) cause it's longer than an hour?

Please let me know, never owned a DVD Recorder so not sure how the format works. I still use VHS to record stuff on tv.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I assume by HD, you mean Hard Drive. The convention these days is to call a hard drive DVR a 'HDD' DVR. The HD title is more often used for 'High Definition'. Or if you mean 'High Definition', you might want to state that.

If you have a HDD DVR, then once you get the video on your hard drive, you should have some options for burning. If the DVR lowers the bitrate for encoding, you can get quite a bit of video on one DVD. Of course, the longer it is, the lower the quality will be. Three hours shouldn't be a major problem, just not the same quality as a one hour video burn.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IF you have a recorder with a HDD, you can record up to that machine's max. continuous rec. time... Philips DVDR3575 is 12 hours in one recording... at any rec. mode, including 1-hr-HQ (the best mode).

IF you're just going to watch your recordings, you're home free... nothing more to do but watch.

IF, however, you now want a long HQ recording on one or more DVDs, then you'll have to split it into hourly segments (using Edit/Divide) and put each hour on one DVD. You'll be able to use High-speed dub for each hour, which will preserve the HQ quality bit-for-bit.

IF, however, you can stand the extra time and quality donwgrade, you could dub a DVD at a lower-quality rec mode in real-time... i.e., switch the dub rec mode from HQ to SP for two hourly segments, all the way down to 6 hourly segments at 6-hr-SLP mode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys... and yeah i meant "HDD"

told ya i was a newbie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    btw I just bought a brand new PIONEER DVR-810HS for $230. Good deal? This is my first HDD DVD Recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. $230? That's odd, considering that:
    dvr810
    Regular price: $1,199.00 You pay: $693.99
    http://hometheaterphiles.stores.yahoo.net/pidv1.html

Nice deal.

Reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DVR-810HS-Recorder-Basic-Service/dp/B0000YDALM

Requires TIVO
    Quote Quote