VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone heard about any combo BluRay / HDDvd players that are coming to the market other than LGs product? Pricing? A combo player is the only kind that I will buy and only then if the price is reasonable. The LG player is just too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can check out the Samsung BD-UP5000 - you can pre-order it at Amazon - although it's $800. It's scheduled to be released in January.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That one is as much or more as the LG player. I strongly suspect that these will come down a lot in price. I just don't want to spend that much money and then see the prices start to drop after I pay that much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the hardware on the pc you can get a hddvd bluray rom player for 300.00 online at bestbuy. Though you'll need a new enough graphics card with hdcp and enough horsepower to run it.

As far as standalone combo players I think they will still remain prohibitively expensive for the short term unfortunately.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313, I'm afraid you are right. The manufacturers will get as much as they can get on the front end. As they ramp up production, competition will kick in and then prices will ramp down pretty fast just in time for Black Friday sales a year or two from now.
    Quote Quote