VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until the past few months, i've used DVD Shrink as just a way to easily backup my DVD's as part of the Fair-Use copy act. Then, after capturing a movie that was 6gb in size, someone suggested using DVD Shrink to shrink it down to a size that i would be able to put on a standard DVD-5. I wound up with a DVD File of 4.4gb. .4I do have a question with this method.

Does the compression of the DVD, when using DVD Shrink, normally cause any degradation of the quality of the movie? It just seemed a bit degraded when i used it for this purpose. I don't know if there is any other way of shrinking, or compressing, a movie of such a big size, so that it may be put on a DVD-5 disc. If there is, and it may do a better job as far as the quality, i would like to know what that title is. Are there settings in DVD Shrink which could help improve the quality, even when it's compressing the movie?

If anyone can help me out in this question, please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the compression of the DVD, when using DVD Shrink, normally cause any degradation of the quality of the movie?
    Yes. You are squeezing the size down by almost a third - something has to give. If you are using Shrink and compressing by more than a few percent you should always use Deep Analysis, and turn on AEC. The process will take longer, but the results will be much better.

Personally, I only use Shrink for re-authoring down to movie only, and occasionally for very small reductions in size. If you need to compress a lot, a higher quality option is DVD Rebuilder using the free HCEnc encoder, which installs with it. The difference between the two processes is that Shrink tries to reduce the size by throwing away existing data (transcode). DVD Rebuilder looks at the video from scratch and tries to find a better way of packing it (encode).
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, and thanks for the info! That helps out a lot!
    Quote Quote