VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi i just have a question on the sony dvd burner's which of the sonys Top of the line 20x burner under 90 bucks is the best i see all these model# AD-7190a ,DRU-840A ect... if you wanted to buy one of these which one is it just to burn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    umm.. a 20x pioneer 115 for about $35 without question.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thebirdf
    hi i just have a question on the sony dvd burner's which of the sonys Top of the line 20x burner under 90 bucks is the best i see all these model# AD-7190a ,DRU-840A ect... if you wanted to buy one of these which one is it just to burn!
    SONY no longer manufactures their dvd burners, they use what is called a REBADGED drive. Their current models could be a LITEON or LG drive. Get a SAMSUNG or as mentioned a PIONEER 115 drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DRU-840A as of today (replaced a dead LG), and it worked quite well burning Verbatim media at 16x. Not tried 18x-20x just yet. I believe it's a Samsung drive.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At $90 you can buy a Plextor PX-800 - considered to be the Cadillac of drives.

Were it my money, I'd look into a Pioneer - Heck, look at three (for that much money).

The Sonys that you list: 1st one can be had for $35 + shipping, 2nd for $70 at Staples, etc.

Shop online to locate a lower price (Google the model no.).

I have one Sony (made by NEC) that burns fine. I do look for the day it goes kaput, they're not made as well as they used to be! To date, using Panasonic, Plextor, NEC, Sony: I have yet to have a burner die.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Plextor is the only one that consider their drive the best. It's an overpriced drive, and myth has led thought to believe a higher price is also higher quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I have a DRU-840A as of today (replaced a dead LG), and it worked quite well burning Verbatim media at 16x. Not tried 18x-20x just yet. I believe it's a Samsung drive.
    Hardware-wise it's identical to a Samsung SH-202J I believe. Does it use SS00 firmware?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LS - With Plextor rebadging their drives - a likely statement.

As I said: Three Pioneers for the $90 quoted is a bargain.

The older 712 (A, SA) and 716UF Plextors actually are a nice piece of hardware, but I doubt I would buy one today.

As long as I feed any drive high quality media (currently working through a stack of Verbatims), I doubt there will be any problems burning with any of the drives that I own.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SS00, yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PLEXTOR is another one that uses rebadged drives. They no longer manufacture their own dvd burners.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest Sonys are made by NEC I believe, and many NECs have failed to read burned -R media. I'd avoid any NEC manufactured drives for this reason and would choose Pioneer 112 or 115 instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Latest Sonys are made by NEC I believe, and many NECs have failed to read burned -R media. I'd avoid any NEC manufactured drives for this reason and would choose Pioneer 112 or 115 instead.
    Nope the latest SONY drives are rebadged SAMSUNG's. Just take a look at the SAMSUNG FORUM at Cdfreaks.com.
    Quote Quote