VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried a lot of methods to achieve the conversion in the topic title, but not one has given results.

Basically, I want to convert the mkv to a 360 compatible format with the least amount of re-encoding possible. The 360 supports x624 but only with 2ch aac audio, which is fine - I've been able extract the video and dts audio track (along with the subtitles and custom font) from the mkv container. I've also been successful in converting the .dts to an 2ch .aac.

My problem is in boxing them together in the .mp4 format : I've tried yamb, which fails (there's no error or log file, it just works for a millisecond and reports that it has completed, but no file is generated), and mp4creator, which successfully creates an .mp4 but the audio is about 10 seconds out of sync with the video.

Actually, that was after I'd given up on subtitles. The 360 doesn't natively support subtitles in a container, so I'm forced to burn them in - I couldn't find any prewritten program to do that for me, and I've never used avisynth, so unless someone can recommend a program, am I stuck with that? if so could someone direct me towards a guide for burning them in.. preferably retaining the quality of the original x624 file? (I have directVobSub installed, and the subtitles show correctly when I play the movie so I assume it would work)..

Could I just use a frameserver and encode audio/video that way? At least then I'd get the results I want without having to jump through 100's of hoops...

EDIT: I mean, can I just encode the frames/audio I would get from playing back in a normal mediaplayer (non-realtime of course) to the mp4/wmv codec?

anyone have any recommendations, how I would do it's, etc..?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried automkv? I think you can add a custom avisynth filter and then add permanent subtitles and reconvert to a mp4.

But you will spend more time converting the video then actually watching it so I would rather just get me a HTPC or media center with mkv subtitle support...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How did you convert the DTS to 2ch AAC?

nm, VLC worked great
    Quote Quote