VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was trying to burn AVI file to VCD. Original size of AVI file was about 730MB. I used X Video Converter to convert into mpg format before burning to VCD (I tried both to-VCD and MPEG-1 conversions). The new mpg file is over 900MB. So, when I use ROXIO Easy CD/DVD creator, it obviously finds a file to be too big for 800MB CDR. When I tried creating DVD with the same 900MB file, it tells me the project will take almost 7GB?!? How in the world 900MB file turns into 7GB project? What can you guys recommend me to do in this situation? AVI file is small enough for CDR but I want to play it in DVD player. Converting to mpg makes files too big for CDR but when making DVDR it makes project 10x bigger Not sure what is a solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to understand bitrate, file sizes, and playing time.

But for simple AVI>MPG conversions, you might try ConvertXToDVD or the freeware FAVC.

I've never used any of those programs you mention. I can tell you that to convert a 700MB Xvid off the net to VCD will usually take two CDs. Even converting to DVD, it will be about 5X bigger than the Xvid.

Until you understand the stuff mentioned in the first line, try some of the all in one converters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, thanks for a quick reply!!! I will definitely try FAVC!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to give you a bit more information, a VCD has definite specs on datarate, so a certain *duration* corresponds to a certain file size. If your movie lasts longer than about 80 minutes, a VCD version of it will not fit on a single disc. It doesn't matter that your original file did. It's the length of the movie, not the size of the original file, that matters. Same with DVD. That's why the file sizes grow so much, even though it seems crazy for them to do so.

You can encode off-spec discs to make things fit, but at the expense of reduced quality and compatibility. An XVCD (where "X" just means "not standard") allows you to reduce audio bitrate and video bitrate to allow a longer movie to fit on a single disc. In my experience, a well-encoded XVCD will allow you to squeeze about 2 hours of sorta-VHS quality video on one CD. But, not all DVD players will play such a disc. And you have to be willing to tolerate the lower quality (relative to DVD). Some people will tell you that VCDs look like crap, don't bother, etc., but I leave that up to you to decide, since you know what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD Flick is IMO a slightly better tool for basic conversions than FAVC. It is a one click front end for ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote