VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Xbox 360 and have been struggling converting DVD's to WMV so I can stream them to my XBOX 360. Now that the XBOX 360 supports Div/Xvid I would like to use that conversion since it seems to be a much better supported conversion. I would like to keep the surround sound 5.1 capability with my videos. Does anyone know of a good all in one movie that will either convert directly from dvd or from decrypted VOB's on my HD. Of course I would prefer free but do not mind paying for something if it means I do not have to manually perfom many steps. My main concern is to rip the main movie at fairly good quality..ie 1.4 GB per movie with 5.1 sound. I did a search but did not really find anything which specified its ability to output 5.1 sound and a tutorial on how to do that. Thanks in advance for any help which can be provided.

Thanks,

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why to WMV? better to x264....IMO....
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Xbox_360_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page1.html
    0..pretty darn cool.....
    But if you must have WMV,
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/AVI_to_WMV_Xbox_360_Conversion_Guide_page1.html
    But you'll have to convert DVD to avi first....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not think x264 supports 5.1-6 channel and does not stream natively to Xbox360 the way DivX , XviD or WMV do. I used DVD-WMV but constantly had audio delay problems of up to 2 seconds and never received help on that site so I gave up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are u sure the xbox360 supports 5.1 in streamed media.

I quote "PS3 has an advantage over the Xbox 360 in that it supports AAC 5.1 channel audio (although with limited decoding support)."

Also: "The Spring 2007 Dashboard update for the Xbox 360 adds H.264 playback support."
    "Youth is wasted on the young."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the XBox team FAQ...
    What are the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?

You can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software, Windows Media Player 11, or Windows Home Server.

Do you support 5.1 channel AAC?
    No. Only 2-channel AAC is supported. If you want to play a 5.1-channel video on your console, you will need to encode it to WMV with WMAPro 5.1 audio or use the AVI container with Dolby® Digital 5.1 audio.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote