VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using my secondary computer tower at the moment it has a CD/DVDW TS-H522D Drive.I have no idea what that make is!!Problem i have is that for the first time i have tried to burn dvds on it.I have 16x dvds but for some reason the drive is taking 45 minutes plus to burn and finalise the dvd.I have checked and DMA is enabled,can anyone shed some light as to why its taking so long to burn on this drive..Windows xp sp 2 athlon 3500 with 1 gb ram..

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it happen with all burning software?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok i have downloaded convertx2 dvd..we are at 10% after 4 minutes of burning at 4x speed!So it looks like thats not burning right either..just to add i use nero always and its fine on my pentium no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You may need to update the firmware of the drive. Right now it may not be capable of properly handling the discs that you are using.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Usually this type of problem happens when the drive gets reset to PIO mode due to a "feature" in Windows that can happen more often that you might think. If you are really and truly sure that your drive is in DMA mode and not PIO mode, then I'd say you probably need to update the drive firmware as Dv8ted2 says. Your firmware may not have a write strategy for the discs you are using and may be falling back to a very slow mode because it's the only way it can write to the discs. A firmware update will hopefully fix this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soixante
    Ok i have downloaded convertx2 dvd..we are at 10% after 4 minutes of burning at 4x speed!So it looks like thats not burning right either..just to add i use nero always and its fine on my pentium no problems.
    Are you sure you are at 10% of the burning stage? ConvertX2DVD is usually used for converting files (avi, mpg, etc.) to DVD compliant mpg 2, creating a disc image, and then burning. The conversion process often takes quite awhile and is affected by cpu speed.

Have you tried burning just a plain data disc in Nero to see if the "problem" is the same?

Aside from that, it is likely a firmware/media mismatch.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi convertx has a burning engine as well .As for the firmware i cant find this model anywhere..I did do a drive test on 3 different types of dvd-r (media code),they where only showing as a 2x burn !!!!So i guess firmware is the solution if it can be found.In the meantime i have taken out the dvd drive anyway and replaced it with my trusty NEC drive(spare) and there seems now to be no problem.

Thanx for all the help...ill keep searching on this firmware and see if i can locate it anywhere and try it if i do.

Edit. i found this Samsung TS-H552U firmware 1.01 im wondering if i should try it?

edit edit ..it doesnt work cant find this drive firmware anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did you check what jman98 suggested ??
    I've had this happen in the past and it slows down burning to a crawl!!!

Originally Posted by jman98
    Usually this type of problem happens when the drive gets reset to PIO mode due to a "feature" in Windows that can happen more often that you might think. If you are really and truly sure that your drive is in DMA mode and not PIO mode, then I'd say you probably need to update the drive firmware as Dv8ted2 says. Your firmware may not have a write strategy for the discs you are using and may be falling back to a very slow mode because it's the only way it can write to the discs. A firmware update will hopefully fix this problem.
    Hi convertx has a burning engine as well .
    But it only burns after it's done converting the files.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you running in the background on this system?

I have found the burning portion of Convertx2DVD to be exceptionally sensitive to other activities on the system. Even antivirus software seems capable of making it burn at less than rated speeds, even when Nero and Imgburn can.

Download IMGburn, use Convertx2DVD to convert, and imgburn to burn and see what you get for burn speed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes DMA is on..as for the firmware cant even find this model on the Samsung site!Even on here this model is not noticed.Also convertx does burn after a convert,but also if you click on the Action tab at top there is an option to import folders all ready on hard drive to be burnt.Like i said i have put the NEC drive in now and that is working fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help....still annoying though nort to get to the bottom of the problem.But i expect like Jman said its a matter of firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the make and model # listed on the drive label?

It looks to likely be this one: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/samsung-ts-h552b/684

which can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?model_nm=TS-H552B&mType=FM&vType=L
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    What is the make and model # listed on the drive label?

It looks to likely be this one: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/samsung-ts-h552b/684

which can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?model_nm=TS-H552B&mType=FM&vType=L
    Thanks this is the model CD/DVDW TS-H522D.I did actually try that second link but the installler does not recognize the dvd drive model,as my drive model is a D which i cant see on the samsung site.Mind reading the comments of the similar model,i understand all the problems now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then most likely your drive is an OEM version of the Samsung TS-H522B. Some vendors don't provide updates for their OEM drives when they are installed/sold through other vendors like Dell for instance. In which case you need to check the site of your PC manufacturer.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes DMA is on.
    Exactly which DMA mode is the burner in?
    Quote Quote