VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Laddydaddy
    Macrovision is the ticket for all your DVD copy protection needs.

http://www.macrovision.com/products/1154.htm?link_id=topnav

Anti Piracy
    Macrovision is the industry leader in providing content producers with anti-piracy tools and services that make it possible to deliver a high-quality consumer experience without the fear of inordinate losses due to the proliferation of illegal analog and digital copies. With solutions for the protection of both packaged media and media distributed over a network, Macrovision’s offerings cover the entire distribution landscape.
    Wow- that's impressive. Macrovision claims the product they sell is the best. Do you believe all the advertising you read or do you get a check from Macrovision?

2. BobK wrote
    Do you believe all the advertising you read or do you get a check from Macrovision?
    Neither.
    It doesn't matter who you vote for. The government always gets in.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do as Hollywood does 95% of the time........make something that almost nobody wants!

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is only ONE known "copyprotection":
    SELL IT CHEAP MAKING COPYING NOT WORTH
    either this, or you need to design a proprietary player device and a proprietary media format (for example a square oversized non-movable "disc" and a rotating laser to read it ) but even that will be defeated once your proprietary device spreads on the market.

If you really want to have less-copyable movie (copies still can be made, but only with quality loss) go analog.
    Transfer your HD to a 70mm reels and delete the digital original since no one but movie studios and really big shops have ability to copy reels

5. Originally Posted by Laddydaddy

Anti Piracy
    Macrovision is the industry leader in providing content producers with anti-piracy tools and services that make it possible to deliver a high-quality consumer experience without the fear of inordinate losses due to the proliferation of illegal analog and digital copies. With solutions for the protection of both packaged media and media distributed over a network, Macrovision’s offerings cover the entire distribution landscape.
    Oh brother - gag me with a spoon . . macrovision is only your answer for wasting your money.
    If you don't want your dvd copied - don't let it out of your sight. Lock it up somewhere so no one can ever see it, or play it - and therefore - not copy it.

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rich86
    Originally Posted by Laddydaddy

Anti Piracy
    Oh brother - gag me with a spoon . . macrovision is only your answer for wasting your money.
    If you don't want your dvd copied - don't let it out of your sight. Lock it up somewhere so no one can ever see it, or play it - and therefore - not copy it.

I thought macrovision would die once there are no analog copies on the market... apparently they provide now "digital copyprotection"
    How did they managed to sell that *smoke and mirrors* to the studios? :O
    I know many studio execs are stupids when it comes to anything "tech" but they cannot be that dumb?! There must be some other explanation

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision is analog. It stops the novice from hooking a DVD player to a DVD recorder and making copies. They see the picture fade in and out, (macrovision), and just give up.

8. Yeah, but Macrovision the company has branched out quite a bit, and now provides protection for DVD movies and games as well. They're responsible for the RipGuard protection used on a lot of DVDs, and the newest version of it is used on the Ratatouille DVD that has given some people trouble in decrypting it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RipGuard#RipGuard

9. Originally Posted by manono
    Yeah, but Macrovision the company has branched out quite a bit, and now provides protection for DVD movies and games as well. They're responsible for the RipGard protection used on a lot of DVDs, and the newest version of it is used on the Ratatouille DVD that has given some people trouble in decrypting it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RipGuard#RipGuard
    This is a nonissue if you keep current on software. Anydvd is updated all the time and easily worked around Ratatouille.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did not know that Macrovision had a newer product - RipGuard. Macrovision is in trouble. They lived off the analog protection for over 20 years. Now they need some new product to stay in business. Lightning does not usually strike twice in the same place. They just bought TV Guide for some huge amount of other peoples money. Their stock went down 20%. R.I.P. Macrovision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by ilovevcd
    Hi

I work with recording wedings and other events, and i do this for my living. But I'm tired of people steeling my productions by ordering one copy and then duplicting the rest themselves.

Then I came across this thread and thpught that this could maybe help me. So i downloaded the prot_dvd.zip file and burned it onto a dvd. Then i tried it on my computer but it didnot work so i tried it on both my dvdplayers and they both played it perfectly.

I tried to copy the disc with dvdshrink and anydvd but this faild.

Having study the subjct i found that it is impossible to create protection for burned dvds. But why can't i copy this one?

I was not sure if there was any point to ask why it could'nt be copied it, but it would be wery helpful to know.
    Bad disc possibly....

You should not worry about it so much. The point we were trying to get across is that copy protection is futile. You waste your time and resources. The discs can normally be copied if they can be played.
    Well, visited some friends yeasterday and took the disc wiyh me. I tried it in 3 other dvdplayers of different brands and models but all played the disc ok, just as my player did.

1) If the disc is realy bad or corrupt, how can 5 dvdplayer play the disc without problem
    2) What do you meen when you say "Bad disc possibly".

12. Originally Posted by ilovevcd
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by ilovevcd
    Hi

I work with recording wedings and other events, and i do this for my living. But I'm tired of people steeling my productions by ordering one copy and then duplicting the rest themselves.

Then I came across this thread and thpught that this could maybe help me. So i downloaded the prot_dvd.zip file and burned it onto a dvd. Then i tried it on my computer but it didnot work so i tried it on both my dvdplayers and they both played it perfectly.

I tried to copy the disc with dvdshrink and anydvd but this faild.

Having study the subjct i found that it is impossible to create protection for burned dvds. But why can't i copy this one?

I was not sure if there was any point to ask why it could'nt be copied it, but it would be wery helpful to know.
    Bad disc possibly....

You should not worry about it so much. The point we were trying to get across is that copy protection is futile. You waste your time and resources. The discs can normally be copied if they can be played.
    Well, visited some friends yeasterday and took the disc wiyh me. I tried it in 3 other dvdplayers of different brands and models but all played the disc ok, just as my player did.

1) If the disc is realy bad or corrupt, how can 5 dvdplayer play the disc without problem
    2) What do you meen when you say "Bad disc possibly".
    It depends on several factors. Some drives are better at reading possible bad discs than others. Do you have the latest firmware for your optical drive? Are you using the latest Anydvd? It gets updated all the time. When I said bad discs, I meant that the burn might have been too fast for the disc and the disc might stutter when played back. If that happens, then it will cause the copying program to cough up a hairball. Even if your method is effective right now, it won't be for long. That is my point. Some protections have been disabled by using a sharpie marker on a certain section of the disc. Look at how quickly the so called HD-dvd protection was broken. If you take a step back and listen, you will realize that we have been telling you that you are wasting your time with the protection because it can easily be bypassed. Nothing is infallible.

Search Comp PM
    DVD players read slower than 1x, and will skip errors.

Software reads faster and won't skip errors. Some software has some options for this.

Your computer DVD drives may just be crap too, compared to the friends. Are you a smoker? If so, you've probably given the laser lens "lung cancer" (really common way to kill optical devices).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds interesting ilovevcd. Rule out bad discs. Rule out slow player. Sounds like you are on to something. I suspect that you are pulling our collective legs though and that you have put a VCD on DVD and it plays in most newer players. Just a guess. Am I getting warm?

15. Originally Posted by videobread
    Sounds interesting ilovevcd. Rule out bad discs. Rule out slow player. Sounds like you are on to something. I suspect that you are pulling our collective legs though and that you have put a VCD on DVD and it plays in most newer players. Just a guess. Am I getting warm?
    You cannot rule those things out. Ignoring something does not make it go away.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following this thread, it is sophomoric to think that ilovevcd has not ruled out bad media and bad burners issues.

17. Originally Posted by videobread
    Following this thread, it is sophomoric to think that ilovevcd has not ruled out bad media and bad burners issues.
    Reeeeeeeealllllllly.......

You claim to know so much about the issue yet I and others have tried to show you the futility on this subject. This is not the first thread to explore this subject. The bottom line is nothing is unbreakable. Nothing is foolproof. Macrovision has easily been bypassed as well as any other content protection system. You end up looking like a fool because you do not listen to history.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobread
    Not me. I genuinely find most people are stupid. I say this not to be mean, but to be blunt and transparent. Like I said up above, you can very often write "THIS DISC CANNOT BE COPIED" on top and a sizable group of people won't know any better. Having a disc with a bad spot or a drive (or bunch of drives) that read poorly is far more likely.

Too many people here jump to conclusions.

Yes, I "jump' to the conclusion that you're stupid, because that is far more likely than "hey look, Joe Nobody invented a new copy protection because he suddenly can't copy this one disc". I can do it, because mine is logical and sensible. Yours is just dumb, and at best is using a fallacy type of logic.

I say "you" not referring to anybody in particular. Not attacking anybody, and I'm not even reading names here. Just a general overview of what I'd say in a private conversation on this matter.

To say that a disc being hard to copy is protected, is akin to this sort of logic:
    John likes bananas.
    John like blue.
    Bananas must be blue.

In this case:
    This disc can't be copied.
    Copy protection prevents discs from being copied.
    This disc must be copied protected.

The logic is, quite frankly, ****ed up. In both cases.

I still remember all the idiots that used to visit this site in 2003, and insist they had a magic CD burner that was also able to burn DVDs. This whole copy protection topic is equally stupid.

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf wrote:

I still remember all the idiots that used to visit this site in 2003,
    and insisted they had a magic CD burner that was also able to burn DVDs.
    Assuming that even a troll is capable to speak the truth at times,
    those idiots simply "forgot" to mention that a DVD burned with an infrared laser
    would necessarily be 100% useless. It's easier to use a microwave oven.

\\\\\

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you do not believe it is possible to prevent DVD's from being copied, please do not post further on this thread. You have made your position known many times and are just repetitive. You are not adding anything to the thread.

Some of us would like to hear how others are protecting their content. It may well be futile, but I for one want to hear your stories. Rippers need to be updated on a regular basis because new techniques to circumvent them come out all the time. Every time people on this forum have problems backing up a movie it is due to some change new in DVD structure or copy protection scheme. I am very aware that any DVD can be copied, etc., etc., etc.

Again, please don't post further "it can't be done" talk. We already heard you 20 times already. Watermark tangents are not appreciated either.

21. Originally Posted by videobread
    I am very aware that any DVD can be copied, etc., etc., etc.

Again, please don't post further "it can't be done" talk. We already heard you 20 times already. Watermark tangents are not appreciated either.
    Since you already know the answer, why do you persist in asking the question? Do you realize that you will not get anywhere? You are merely marking time and accomplishing nothing. This discussion has been going on for years. If you take your football home because you do not like hoe the others are playing, how does that make you look?

22. Try offering something that is inexpensive to you that you can give along with the disk thay may be hard to duplicate. That way if there are copies flying arround they will be more likely to buy it from you to get that extra item the copies cant give. No disk is 100% uncopyable. Every DVD Video out there can be copied. some may be harder than others to do it but it can be done.

-Del

23. Originally Posted by videobread
    Sounds interesting ilovevcd.
    I also tried the latest DVDFabdecrypter 4.0.2.0 Beta. but it faild to.

One interesting thing i found was that the protection on this disc was very similar to protection used on comercial DVD

24. Originally Posted by ilovevcd
    Originally Posted by videobread
    Sounds interesting ilovevcd.
    I also tried the latest DVDFabdecrypter 4.0.2.0 Beta. but it faild to.

One interesting thing i found was that the protection on this disc was very similar to protection used on comercial DVD

Did you pay any attention to what you posted? Look at that screenshot and look at what was removed. If that works for now, it is only a matter of time before a software fix is released to bypass your little protection program. Did you try the latest Anydvd? You are not listening to common sense and people who know better. Any software solution can be reverse engineered and bypassed. To be effective, you would need to use a nonstandard hardware solution.

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    To be effective, you would need to use a nonstandard hardware solution.
    Like I said: square discs would do

26. To the people pimping Prot_dvd,

This is for you.

October 10th, 2006
    Protect DVD-Video - A slap in the face for PC and Media Center owners
    Posted by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes @ 4:38 am Categories: DRM Tags:
    TalkBack

The movie industry seems determined to continue on a course where it happily erodes the rights of legitimate users, all in the name of securing profits. The latest example of this comes in the form of a DVD copy protection technology called Protect DVD-Video which actually prevents a DVD being played on a Windows PC using Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center Edition or any software players based on DirectShow.

Protect DVD-Video is the brainchild of a company called ProtectDisc. Part of the copy-protection mechanism is a non-standard UDF (Universal Disc Format) file system which results in the IFO file on the DVD (this is the file responsible for storing information on chapters, subtitles and audio tracks) appearing to the PC as being zero bytes long.

The upshot of this is that if you have a DVD disc protected by Protect DVD-Video and you try to play the disc in a PC-based system using, say, Windows Media Player, the process will fail. Now, lets be clear here, we are taking about a genuine, legitimate DVD disc not working in a PC, not a pirated disc or a download via a torrent. Protect DVD-Video protects a DVD by basically making it un-playable in a DVD drive that's in a Windows-based PC (I've no information on whether this also locks out Linux users - I would imagine that it does).

Remember how I told you that Protect DVD-Video was the brainchild of ProtectDisc? Well, the interesting thing about this company is that it is run by Volkmar Breitfeld, who is also managing director of ACE (who market the FluxDVD copy protection). However, dig a little deeper and you find that Breitfeld used to work for the "other side" and is known for his work developing tools to circumvent copy protection, such as InstantCopy and InstantCD/DVD.

As with most copy protection mechanisms, a way round it is never that far behind. SlySoft have a product called AnyDVD which works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive. The other day they released an updated version of AnyDVD which effortlessly bypasses Protect DVD-Video.

"With this copy protection the film industry clearly overshot the mark", says Giancarlo Bettini, CEO at SlySoft. "The premium customer who spent a lot of money on his multimedia home cinema and who, for quality reasons, would never even consider watching anything else but an original DVD, is being slapped in the face. These customers with their shelves stuffed with rightfully acquired DVDs, can't watch their videos."

As usual, I don't have a problem with anyone protecting their intellectual property and making sure that they are paid fairly for their work, but I am dismayed when, time after time, they seem to blur the line between fair use and piracy. The more that legitimate users are being made to feel like they have been cheated out of being able to use what they've paid for, the more people are being pushed into looking for tools that allow them to circumvent copy protection … simply to use what they paid for. That sets a worrying trend that will ultimately make things worse for the movie and recording industry. Imagine if keys were outlawed and people had to turn to lockpicks to get into their own homes? Would that make us all more secure? I doubt it! The same thing is happening here. The entertainment industry is forcing ordinary users to look for tools to bust copy protection in order to use a product they’ve paid for, ordinary users feels abused and ripped off by a big, faceless corporation, and the next time they want a song or movie, they're less likely to pay for it and more likely to acquire it through other channels.

And to be honest, who can blame them?
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/index.php?p=114

I am only an information security specialist who deals with video as a hobby. I deal with encryption on a daily basis. What do I know?

27. Well lets toy with the probability that one day a disc is created that there is no way possible to copy it on a computer. Well you cant stop using a capture card and a Macrovision filter to copy it. Yes will take the length of the movie to capture it all but in the end you copied the movie at least. Wont get menus that way unless you capture those as well and use something like dvd labs to put it all togeather. Wow that would take a very long time but you would have copied the entire disk.

So you see there is no way to beat copying so give it up. put it out there and hope for the best. People will still buy it even if copies exsist. You can make it somewhat uncopyable with some program but only to the very novice user.

-Del

One more thing to the wedding recorder. If this is a big enough concern to you then raise your rates to kind of compensate for possible loss in revenue due to copying. But of course keep it competitive. In the contract put in a legal disclaimer about making copies. Get an atty to help with that. That way if you can prove a copy was made you can go after your losses. Much like a photographer and thier pictures being reproduced. In essance you would be copywriting your work.

Search Comp PM
    ProtectDisc is also another CSS-like protection, added at replication. You don't do it at home.
    Enough of that conversation.

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ilovevcd. The Prot_dvd copy protection system is interesting. I'll have to look into it further. Sounds like it stopped the rippers for a while and is still stopping people from copying your DVD's. I know most people don't use AnyDVD because it costs money. Probably stopped the bride's nephew from making free DVD copies for the wedding party. Small content creators can't afford CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOP's, ArccOS, RipGuard, Macrovision, etc.

Prot_dvd is proof that it can be done. Every few weeks I see more proof that DVD's can be protected. Changes in the mastering of a movie stump the rippers. Changes in the file structure of a DVD stump the rippers. Then the rippers are patched. The game begins again. A simple example was <BLADES_OF_GLORY>.

For me, copy protection is about percentages and flying under the radar. I'm trying to reduce casual copying of my own content as much as possible. Nothing is out of bounds - Prot_dvd, over burning, <>, sleight of hand or physical damage.

Any other systems or tricks out there?

Search Comp PM
    A while? Maybe a week?
    Overburning really never worked either. I tried that in 2001.

I still say your best bet is to write "THIS DISC CANNOT BE COPIED" to stop most folks. The ones who try anyway are probably determined and will easily bypass whatever you took so much time to do (all in vain).