VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just built a new PC and burned my first DVD backups. The DVDs work fine in the computer I used for burning, but when I try to play them in a stand-alone player the chapters are out of order. This has happened twice with the same source material.

I performed the rip to my hard drive with RipItForMe 1.7.1.0 and DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 and the burn using DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 and Nero 8.1.1.4.

When I put the DVD back into the computer I used for burning the DVD plays as expected. Also, the directory of the DVD contents contains the same files and file sizes as the directory on the hard drive that I used as the source of the burn. Out of curiosity I put the DVD into a lap top and it acts like the DVD doesn't contain any files.

My relevant PC components are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI P6N Diamond
    Processor: Intel Q6600
    DVD Drive: Lite-On LH-20A1S (SATA interface)
    DVDs: CompUSA DVD-Rs (I have used these in an IDE DVD burner in the past with no problems)

I would be very interested in hearing any ideas on what may be the source of this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i had the same problem on two new comps with clean xp installs with 2 different burners. after 40 coasters of varying brands and speeds, i realized that i had upgraded to Nero 8 from Nero 7 with the new installs.

since dvd shrink uses the Nero engine to burn i tried uninstalling Nero 8 and going back to Nero 7 and presto! all was good as before.

another alternative that worked was to rip with dvd decrypter, shrink with dvd shrink to a directory on the hard drive and then burn that folder with clone dvd...another favorite app of mine.

hopefully this was of some help. i figure dvd shrink is so old, and nero 8 so new, that they haven't kept up with one another on compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Around here we generally recommend that people burn DVDs with ImgBurn because ImgBurn just works and works correctly and Nero, ahem, does "interesting" things like what you report.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use imgburn too but the problem was burning the ripped dvd after shrinking it with dvd shrink. nero has nothing to do with the ripping process.
    Quote Quote