VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    I'm looking to buy a dvd-recorder with a hard drive. I'd like a decent one which is region-free. What is particularly important to me is that it is a recorder that will let my transfer and play mp3 files easily and it would also be good if it has lots of mp3 features. But of course I would like to be able to record tv-shows with good quality.
    Any suggestions?

Regards
    Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm, really satisfied with my Samsung HR757
    The Region free "hack" posted here works. (Simple remote key sequence.)
    USB port, HDMI upscaling to 1080i
    Only negative is a little slow menues, long startup time and French manual if you buy from Pixmania like I did. (And it doesn't like packed bitstreams in DivX/XviD)
    Check the prices at www.pricerunner.se

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your tip. This one seems good, I've read a little about it elsewhere as well.
    I assume it plays all sorts of media as well(cdr,cdrw,dvd-r,dvd-rw,dvd+r,dvd+rw)
    I'm a newbie, which I'm sure you've noticed. What will I be able to do with my mp3 files on the hadr drive? Random play is excellent, but is there any special mp3 software/player that can be used?
    I think I'll buy this one then from Pixmania I think, unless anyone has an even better option.
    Thanks again.

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does not play VCD/SVCD - that's all I've found. It has never spit out a disk tho - I've tried CD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and pressed disks of course.
    The player software is of course integrated in the firmware, so you can't use other players.
    One thing I've recently found, is that a playlist can only hold 30 entries. Fine for single albums, but I was trying to set up a "Christmas music" playlist the other day with some 10 albums - No go. So I had to put all Christmas related mp3s in the same directory instead.
    It plays MP3 from both CD, DVD, USB and HDD. The same goes for DivX/XviD AVI.
    There's a limit of 500 items in a disk (folder?) tho.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm still interested in buying it, bút it's a shame you can't random play all your mp3 files or maybe that is asking too much of current dvd-recorders?

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It can only random play all files in a folder - At least as far as I have found. Not span several folders.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have ordered one now from Pixmania, not the end of the world if you can't random play all files.
    Thanks again for your help

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck! Pretty quick delivery - had mine tuesday, ordered thursday morning week before. Not the "3-4 days" they promised, but close enough. Swedish manual is available as PDF from samsung.se - 100 pages to print out.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi again!

I just had a look at the Swedísh manual and here they wrote something which didn't sound good at all. It said that the recorder may have problems playing mp3 files correctly that are encoded with variable bitrate. Most mp3 files are, arent't they. Most of mine, anyway. Is this anything you have noticed, Mats?
    If this is the case maybe someone else can recommend another recorder which can play mp3 vbr files?

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, I've neither read nor experienced that. And I'm pretty sure at least some of the mp3s I've played is VBR. But I'll give it a try - BRB!

<edit>No problem at all. VBR MP3 plays just like CBR. </edit>

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. ok, strange thing that they write that in the manual then. By the way, does it play audio cds and cd-rs without any problems?
    This is what they write:

Använda MP3-skiva
    CD-R/-RW, DVD-RAM/±RW/±R, HDD, USB med MP3-fi ler
    som är inspelade med UDF, ISO9660 eller JOLIET format
    kan spelas upp.
    Det går bara att spela upp MP3-fi ler med fi ltypsändelsen “.
    mp3” eller “.MP3”.
    Ljudet kan hacka om du spelar upp MP3-fi ler som är
    inspelade med VBR(Variable Bit Rate) från 32 Kbps till 320
    Kbps.
    Det går att spela upp fi ler med en bitrate mellan 56 Kbps och

Thanks again.

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the operating word is "may". I'm sure there's some way to encode a MP3 that the player can't play. To avoid law suits and stuff, it's better to put a sentence like this in the manual, I guess.
    On what page did you find this warning?
    The way I read
    Ljudet kan hacka om du spelar upp MP3-fi ler som är
    inspelade med VBR(Variable Bit Rate) från 32 Kbps till 320
    Kbps.
    is that you may experience problems for VBR mp3 with 32 kbps min, 320 kbps max bitrate. You rarely have that big span for max/min.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. I found it on p. 6.
    Ok, it could be the way you're saying it, that it's unusual with such a span in bitrate.
    By the way, can you play audio cds and cd-r without any problems?

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, regular audio CDs work fine, so does audio CD on CD-R (and data CD-R with mp3 and/or AVI)
    SVCD and VCD is what I've found it wont play. No big loss.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, well I've ordered it now. It seems to be very good and let's hope that it is unusual with that big a span in bitrate. I don't know much about, but I do know that most of my mp3 files are vbr.
    Thanks for helping me out.

Nille
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi Mats!

I hope you haven't run out of patience with me. I got my Samsung today, and it seems great.
    Just one thing I'd like to know if you can help me with. I inserted an audio cd and wanted to move to another track on the cd, but I couldn't find a way to do that without switching on the tv . A bit annoying if you have to switch on the tv each time you want to play an audio cd. Can't this be done just by using the remote control? Maybe it's just something I've overlooked.

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still with you! Press "down" on the 4-way circular puttons (to select next track) then "right" to start playing that track.
    I think for MP3, you skip to the next track with >>|

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  18. Wow, quick answer!

Ok, I'm glad it worked. Thanks again. I'm transferring loads of mp3 files at the moment to the recorder and from what I've heard so far there are no problems with vbr files, like you said.

Good night from Malmö.

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good night to you too! (From Gothenburg). Keep in mind the 500 files/directory limit tho...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi again Mats!

where did you find the region-free hack?
    Is it without any risk to use it?

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Found it here at VideoHelp: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-dvd-hr757/8276
    Tried the top one, and it seems to work. Not that I've tried any not region free/not region 2 disks, but...
    Simple Remote key sequence. No risk for damaging the player.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks for your help. again. You'll have to start charging med consultation fees soon.
    I have another question(if you're still willing to help me)
    I have transferred loads of mp3 to my hdd and they all sound good, vbr or not. Maybe I'm asking too much now, but I'd like to organize them a bit,i.e create one folder for each letter of the alphabet, so that I can easily browse to the artist I'd like to listen to? Is that-to your knowledege-possible?

Greetings from an incredibly rainy and grey Malmo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if this can be done once the files are on the HDD, but during the copy process (as you select destination) you can create new directories, so you can easily create folders (under Music) for each letter in the alphabet, artists under lettes, albums under artists etc.
    I'm lazy, so i only have albums under the Music category.
    It might be possible to move files around on the HDD, but I'm not sure. Haven't seen that option, but then, I haven't looked for it.
    I guess you day is as beautiful as mine, then... Heavy drizzle. No Christmas Spirit.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  24. I've created all the folders now, and then I thought i*d be able to move the files once they're on the hdd, but haven't found a way to do that.
    Have you tried that?

Nille
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, like I said, I've never tried that, but on the other hand, I've never looked for that feature. What happens if you select a couple of mp3 files on HDD? What options are under the red A button? (I'm at work, so I can't check) I guess it's there the option to move a file will be, if there is one. But I think the only options are basically Rename, Delete, Copy (to disk in this case). But perhaps you can copy HDD -> HDD, and then delete the original?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'll try the last option, since there's no such option under the red button. It's good you're not too busy at work.

Nille
    Quote Quote