VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic340470-120.html#1779654

More in Computerword: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9048658

Saw this in a post, but it deserves its own thread. XP SP3 will be a must have
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    10%
    due out next year
    not sure I can contain myself
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is interesting though all the claims are centered around Office. I must say that I regularly run Excel 2003 on Vista and XP SP2 on the same box and haven't noticed any issues. That even includes a very demanding Excel Add-In that logs DV video live while capturing, creating an industry standard EDL and a storyboard that has a thumbnail of the video every second. It works equally as well on both XP and Vista. (VBA Add-Ins are interpreted, so they are pretty clunky)

Also, for most Office work, it is very undemanding resource wise - there isn't much required for typing a memo or cobbling together a Powerpoint presentation. Perhaps automated tests for spell checking or serious number crunching in Excel show a difference - but is it real world?

I wonder what improvements have been seen elsewhere within this SP3 RC....have they compared Office 2007 on both (which, by the way, is HORRIBLE).

Kudos to MS, though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    I wonder what improvements have been seen elsewhere within this SP3 RC....have they compared Office 2007 on both (which, by the way, is HORRIBLE)..
    Actually, I like the new office layout. It also seems to be much less prone to crashing while opening mutiple cross program attachments. I like the ribbon bar, and it does take about a week to get used to it. Then is seems like, why didn't they do this in the past. More functional IMO

However, I do hate what they did with the search feature that i loved in passed Outlooks. I had to create a new tab at the top for just advanced search...shame they're forcing desktop search down our throats.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Office 2K7 PRO is nothing but a memory hog. The abbreviated versions probably work much better. After 4 months of Office 2007, I can only say that I miss 2003 - and wish I could revert back to it, as MS did on Vista Premium to XP Pro.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2007 is a hog.

Outlook is a hog, from 2000 to XP to 2003 to 2007.
    My PST files are in the 1GB-2GB range, and I swear Outlook is trying to load it all into RAM or swap file, and I don't understand why. I need to keep the messages, yes, active in easy to access folders, but I don't think I need to load the entire PST. They really should spread out how the messages are stored, not use a single file.

I doubt anything aside from more RAM and CPU would help Office. SP3 won't do anything significant.

More of that silly "cram it all into one file" mentality.

Just as bad as the "cram it all into the OS" and "load every service and driver at startup" mentality (Mac and Linux fans, you're in the same pickle, with lots of crap loading by default, and lots of garbage integrated or preloaded into the OS).

I use XP and Office and can't change. Don't really want to either. Will continue to complain with others, and maybe somebody will hear it AND act to fix it someday. Are you reading this MS?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf wrote:

Will continue to complain with others, and maybe somebody will hear it
    AND act to fix it someday. Are you reading this MS?
    Yes, they've been hearing and reading our fair complaints about the
    flaws of the whole Win32 Project since the very first beta of Windows NT.
    But what would MS possibly want to learn from nosotros

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    My PST files are in the 1GB-2GB range, and I swear Outlook is trying to load it all into RAM or swap file, and I don't understand why. I need to keep the messages, yes, active in easy to access folders, but I don't think I need to load the entire PST. They really should spread out how the messages are stored, not use a single file.
    You can't blame MS for YOUR management of YOUR pst files.
    1-2gb IS too big.

I never go over 500mb per pst.
    I keep 1 pst just for large attachments.

Your a power user with computers, you should know better
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My PST (at work!) is 4G and Outlook (2003) fires right up everytime and runs smooth and fast...
    I DO NOT use archiving (which is why my PST is so damn big) as it had a tendency to screw things up and lose/corrupt messages.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so which will be out first - sp1 for vista or sp3 for xp????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I want my XP-upgrade CD delivered a.s.a.p., Mr. Gates! :P

Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    My PST (at work!) is 4G and Outlook (2003) fires right up everytime and runs smooth and fast...
    I DO NOT use archiving (which is why my PST is so damn big) as it had a tendency to screw things up and lose/corrupt messages.
    {OT}

SUMMARY
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 have both a different format and a larger overall size limit for the personal folders (.pst) file than the .pst files that are in the earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook. In Outlook 2002 and earlier, the .pst files are in the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) format, and the overall size has a limit of 2 gigabytes (GB).

By default, .pst files are in the Unicode format in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003. Additionally, the overall size of the .pst files has a limit that is more than the 2-GB limit that is imposed by the ANSI .pst files. By default, the limit for a Unicode .pst file in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003 is configured to be 20 GB. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    832925 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925/) How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook 2003
    As in earlier versions of Outlook, Outlook 2003 Internet Message Access Protocol Version 4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts use .pst files that do not use the Unicode format. Therefore, the .pst files for IMAP or HTTP accounts in Outlook 2003 are limited to 2 GB. In Outlook 2007, the Internet Message Access Protocol Version 4rev1 (IMAP4) accounts and HTTP accounts do use Unicode format .pst files and are not limited to 2 GB.
    How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    stiltman wrote:
    shame they're forcing desktop search down our throats.
    Not anymore, I reinstalled Office 2007 on a reformatted drive, added all the latest patches,
    did not ask for nor did I get the desktop search. I guess now you have to explicitlly get it from an MS site.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Flame bait LordSmurf :P

Just as bad as the "cram it all into the OS" and "load every service and driver at startup" mentality (Mac and Linux fans, you're in the same pickle, with lots of crap loading by default, and lots of garbage integrated or preloaded into the OS).
    *Ahem* BOLLOCKS! I can't speak for OS X but Linux hardly starts every service and driver at start up. Are you kidding me. Linux has ALWAYS started up faster than Windows for me. Linux will only startup what you tell it. If you install BlueTooth software than it's going to launch BlueTooth detection. If you don't it won't. Simple as that. You can always configure it after install, same with Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Gob shite.

Just open the services snap-in, disable all those services you don't want and there you go.

In any case, I find XP and Vista are fast to boot, by which I mean get to the log in prompt. Delays after that are usually third-party apps such as antivirus, network printer management etc.

But, at the end of the day, SO WHAT? Is your life really so packed full of essential activities that you have to save 30 seconds when booting your PC? And for what, to jump on the internet and flit away minutes reading stuff written by other people that offer no productivity advantage to you....like you are doing right now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by GideonK
    stiltman wrote:
    shame they're forcing desktop search down our throats.
    Not anymore, I reinstalled Office 2007 on a reformatted drive, added all the latest patches,
    did not ask for nor did I get the desktop search. I guess now you have to explicitlly get it from an MS site.
    That is not always the case. I setup a new Dell Latitude D830 laptop this morning for an employee that starts tomorrow. When I was setting up Office Small Business 2007, I was prompted to install desktop search.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote