1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, DivX and Xvid can only be played via disc.
    That sucks. What are the Firewire and USB ports for?

My brother had a Philips HDTV that listed the QAM channels with the regular cable channels and had a different TV guide channel that showed the channels like they were shown (14, 14.1, 14.2, 15 etc...) on the TV. Does the Philips DVDR3575H/37 and 3576 have this same feature or is it like my Hauppauge HVR 1800 which shows the cable channels (1-99), then the OTA digital channels (1051-1152) and then the QAM channels (2015-3036)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    No, DivX and Xvid can only be played via disc.
    That sucks. What are the Firewire and USB ports for?
    They still serve a purpose. I downloaded a copy of the DVDR3576H/37 manual to study. It says the firewire port is for dubbing from a digital video camera, while the USB port is for playing back MP3/Windows Media™ Audio/JPEG Files from a USB card reader or USB memory, but that is all they can do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think your're absolutely right W! i got lucky at my local wm and picked up a boxed unit on the clearance shelf that had a sticker price of $298.00 (box date nov07) but rang up at cash register for $100.00.
    i haven't seen any more on the shelf but i'll bet other stores may still have such bargains since i have not yet seen the 3576h in the store.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think both of you are lucky! I went to both my local Sam's Club and my Local Wal-Mart in the past two weeks and neither had any DVDR3575H/37's on the shelf, though DVDR3576H/37's were available.

The QAM tuner may soon be a moot point. Comcast has started to reduce the number of analog channels available in my area. 5 are going away in mid-July, including TV-Guide. They are beginning to offer deals on cable boxes to analog customers who convert to a digital package. The handwriting is on the wall wrt analog service and QAM.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wal-Mart is kind of out of my way, but since I had gone out that direction for something else, I decided to stop in today to see if anything had changed. This time there was one 3575H/37 on the shelf, while all the 3576H/37's were gone, except for the floor model. Unfortunately, when I had it scanned, the price was still $298.00, so I guess the decision to place electronics on clearance is not made on a company-wide basis, but is left up to the store manager or the department manager. Too bad for me.

The clerk who checked the price for me did know what it was, and made a point of telling me "That is a good one." So I guess I found one of the 1% of salespersons who actually know the merchandise in their own department.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to my local Walmart and they had one 3575H on the clearance table full of open box products. I had the lady scan the 3575 which was underneath a bunch of other products and the price was the same as it would've been if it was in a box with all the accessories. There were some pretty good deals on other items but they wanted full price for the opened box Philips without accessories. $298 plus tax is way too much to pay for a used DVR.

The local store had no 3576's either. That open box Philips 3575 was the only one in the store.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also saw the 3505 for around $100 on the clearance table..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow! didn't mean to start an epidemic....but i really did pick up a 3575h. and thanks again W for the antenae hook up advice (reference past question ) for running it thru my 3505(which i already had).
    that was the same day that i actually found the 3575h but was unsure of the best reception set-up.
    i'm really glad that so many folks are out there searching for similar deals because i feel that still in some deep dark corner if not on the clearance shelf, there lies another unit just waiting to be found (though probably not many left, i've been back to wm 3x and no luck in my area since). just looking at past entries i find it really amazing at the discount descrepancies $230,$200,$198? i guess each wm just leaves it up to the mgr.'s descrestion to pick a price huh?
    i now really realize how lucky i was because on the first visit they had an unboxed 3575h just sitting on top of an rca dvd player. when i came back the next day it was gone but on the bottom shelf was a boxed unit with the yellow sticker price of $298.
    i was ready to argue with the cashier that earlier they had an unboxed unit w/the $100. sticker on it but by that time she had ran the scanner over the box and $100. rang up on the register! of course i had no fight left in me after that.
    that being said..good luck with the hunt to all!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ll
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ;` ;
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by wabjxo
    When we told him we had all 6 speakers up front, he said that was the problem! He said the Surround speaker system is designed to have the "Surround" speakers behind you
    That's why it's called "surround sound", not "more sound up front sound".
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All those splits and switches really rape your final quality, however. Be it for viewing or for recording.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wabjxo
    Here's a diagram by AVS Forum Member Charles_I that shows a complex equipment setup that might be useful to others?

He left off all the S/PDIF's that need to be switched at the audio receiver. The video switcher to the right is often internal to the audio receiver. Sometimes the DVDR inputs can be separately switched in the audio receiver as well.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just like the nice diagram Reminds me of my VHS days when I had a (2) 4 way Vidacraft Proc Amp/switchers connected to as many as 6 VCRs and a couple STBs and could record from any one to another and monitor whichever one I wanted. Talk about a maze of wires
    Quote Quote