VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently received a "Power Calibration Error: The CD-Burner is dirty!" error while attempting to burn a DVD. How can this problem be rectified (the burner cleaned, or whatever needs doing)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's not the only cause of a power calibration error, it can also be caused by incompatible DVD media. You might try another brand.

But other than that, you can try a CD/DVD cleaner disc. If the area where the burner is used is dusty, smoky or near a kitchen, stuff can get on the laser lens, but it's not that common.

This is what a CD laser lens assembly looks like. A DVD burner is similar:

Quote Quote  
  3. I've used the exact same brand of discs at least 30 times without problem, so I doubt that's the cause of the error.

What is a CD/DVD cleaner disc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Like one of these: http://www.allsop.com/howto/14/CD-and-DVD-Players/ BTW, I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what's said in that ad. It's purpose is to sell their cleaner. And I should mention some burners/players may refuse to recognize a cleaner disk and just spit it back out.

You could also use some 'canned air' to blow stuff off the lens. But it will just end up somewhere else inside the drive. Same problem with the cleaner above.

The best way involves disassembling the drive to get to the lens, then using a foam Q-tip (lint free) with a cleaning solution. I would certainly try a different media first, or at least see if you can get a look at the lens when the tray is extended and see if any dust is visible. Generally the air movement from the disc spinning keeps the lens clean. If it has grease or smoke on it, you would most times have to manually clean it anyway.

Or it may just be your burner is wearing out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More commonly, just use better media.

That is a generic error message, it doesn't actually mean anything is dirty. It could, but it does not have to.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't identified the media you use.
    You haven't identified your drive.
    You haven't identified the software you are using.

But the responses so far, blame the media. That's the way it is on Videohelp.com. If you aren't using TY or Verbatim - any problem you have must be the media.

If you post some more information, I'll try to suggest other causes when I get back to this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So far as I can tell, they're Laser DVD+R DL printable discs. As I said, I've burned plenty without problem.

The drive is an ASUS DRW-1608P2S.

I'm burning using Copy2DVD, though I also got a "Power Calibration Error" (without the "Burner is dirty") once on Ulead MovieStudio, with a completely different brand of disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your drive is a rebadged PIONEER 111. use better quality DUAL LAYER DVD+R media like VERBATIM. Also use IMGBURN to burn DL DVD+R media. if after you've tried the VERBATIM DVD+R DL media and you still get the power calibration errors then your dvd laser is prolly dying.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If it was the media, would it really occur only once in ~30 burns, and occur also in one of what must be near 50 burns with a completely different type of media? The last time it happened was a few months (and about 40 burns) ago.
    Quote Quote