VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, this is my dvd player:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvd-724/1182

In the past I've only used DVD+Rs to burn, and they never gave me any trouble. Well, my brother picked me up a pack of 100 DVD-Rs that were on Sale at Best Buy. They are Dynex brand, which is the Best Buy brand.

Anyway, they work in my computer, and three other DVD players in the house, but when I put them into my Philips for some reason, it goes into "MP3-JPG" mode, and then goes on and endless list of numbers in a Smart Nav window, and doesn't stop and I have to manually shut off the DVD player or I can't eject it.

Why is it doing this? It says it's compatible with DVD-R discs.. And the discs aren't faulty because they play in everything else. This DVD player has always been good to me, but now it's screwing me over ... in the ass.

Anyone have any suggestions for me please, thank you.

By the way the discs I tried playing: One was an MST3K DVD which came from the Digital Archive Project. I downloaded the DVD files, as I've done before with these, and burned them. The other was a custom DVD I made in Nero. They both do the same thing... sometimes it just says "NO DISC" but mostly it goes into MP3-JPG mode and goes crazy. And well, a few minutes ago when I tried putting in my custom made DVD, the menu came up and pressed play, and it started to play but then started skipping and then would just freeze up, and wouldn't let me go back to the menu..
    Search Comp PM
    Why is it doing this?
    First suspect is almost always the media. Try a different brand before you make other changes. Verbatim or TY are good ones to try.

If you are thinking they worked OK in the past..... Quite a bit of media is made by the lowest bidder. And they can change manufacturers regularly, no matter what brand is printed on it. And lower quality DVD media can change quality within a cake box. That's the big problem, consistency.

Final thought: Some media works good with some burners and some burning software and some players, but not all. Try those changes, then upgrade your burner firmware, make sure the burner laser is clean, use good authoring programs and burning programs. If all this fails, replace the burner or the player.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice, and thanks for the welcome.

But, like I said.. the discs work on several other DVD players. Including my computer DVD player. So I don't think there's a problem with the discs or the burner. I was thinking it was my DVD player that was the problem, and I was hoping there was a solution. Since I have a stack of 100 DVD-Rs now, I'd like to be able to make use of them.

Any other ideas?
    -Nick J. Phillips
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DYNEX media is made in CHINA AKA fake MCC media. throw them away. they are no good
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There isn't anything you can do to "make" the player support the media. It recommended to find a brand (or brands) of media that work in your player(s) and stick with it. Buying whatever is "ON SALE" or cheap, may work just fine for computer use, but not for standalone players.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote