VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

i have a philips DVD player (DVP1013). The power specifications are given as 120v, 60hz. Can anyone advice on whether this will work with 240 Volts at 50 Hertz electricity. I think the voltage will definitely have to be down converted.... but am not sure if the 50 Hz will be ok.

Thanks....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Venkat,
    if u are planning to take to india, converters are available in india which will bring down the voltage and also the 60hz factor, i used the same for cyberhome dvd player, but didnt noticed abt the hz factor.

I have one quesion now,since I bought this philips dvp 1013 in US ,there is no mention which region code this will play,unless assuming that since I bought in US this will support 1 and ALL codes,will this be supported in India where the regopn code is 5.

Thnx
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    venkat.naina, are you sure the label on the unit says only 120VAC and 60Hz? That seems unusual. Most electronic devices these days will handle 50 - 60Hz and 80 - 240VAC. The voltage is easy enough to change, but the frequency can be very difficult. To the point that buying a more universal DVD player would be cheaper.

But most all DVD players and quite a few other electronic devices just need a adapter plug. Looking for information on that player seems to show only 120VAC and 60Hz also.

desidc, if it was purchased here in the US, it's probably region 1. If you can find a firmware upgrade, you may be able to change that.

And to both members, welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the details on the converter and stuff...it really helped...

actually i do not know about whether it will play region 5 dvds... the steps for making it region free are given in the site but we can never know it works until we take the player there or get one such dvd here
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just use the region hack posted on this website and either select region 5 for india only or select region 0, which is what I do to play all region DVD's....I've played Region 2 and Region 4 along with Region 1 (native country code)disc on this player fine.....
    Quote Quote