VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Friend of mine ask me to change background picture of his daytek dvd recorder (DR5000-something, they had only 1 model of standard dvd recorder afaik) from default ugly daytek logo to anything without the logo in the middle.
    Has anyone played with, or have firmware or rom dump for this model?
    tia
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check Lordsmurf's website:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/buyerguides/dvdrecorders/liteontips.htm

The firmware hacks are there for some of the Daytek models. I never changed mine from the Liteon logo but you might be able to by doing some reading from the other sites listed from the main site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thx oldfart13.
    This model is region free, MV free and had 3hr recording mode already there from factory, and it doesnt respond to entering 2960 combination as it has been described on the page, so I guess its not LiteOn make. Or it has completely different firmware.
    Still searching...
    Quote Quote  
  4. DereX888

What model is it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LCSHG
    It's not mine, I don't remember. I tell you tomorrow because its too late to contact the owner (its after midnight in my area).
    /edit/
    he didn't sleep yet.
    It is DR5102
    Quote Quote  
  6. DereX888

I had a Daytek P30 It is a liteon clone and took the hack without problem
    I have no actual experience with the DR5102. However I did some research on the unit and your post’s leads me to believe the unit is a liteon. The 5102 was not region and MV free, nor did it have a 3hr mode, out of the box. (supposedly)

It might have been hacked at some time. But it would seem a Canadian unit and there are reports that some units slipped by and were as you say.

The liteon and ilo units did have a good support system but no longer and the units are out of production.
    To my knowledge there is no firmware available for the Daytek and the logo is part of the firmware. I am not aware that any change to it can be made as in a PC

The Daytek has features much as the liteon/ilo and I feel any info on them, is relative to the Daytek
    The 2960 mentioned would seem used by most liteon units, including the ilo and Daytek.
    It is for setting the region only but you say the 5102 is region free
    Also look at
    http://www.techolio.com/
    http://www.normediasolutions.com/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LCSHG
    I don't have to ask my friend to answer you - I know him well enough to know he would never hack it himself (too 'scared' to do so since it still is under the warranty, besides - he wouldn't know how to do it anyways).
    I've set it up for him last winter when he bought it, and I played with it for short time to test it out. It was MV/region free out of the box, and had XP/SP/LP/EP modes exactly as described in its manual (edit: or whatever are they called there since each manufacturer tend to name them differently - I mean 60/120/240/360min. modes).

I used to swap background pictures on ancient Apex dvd players (among other on my friend's apex first player too, thats why he ask me can i do it on his daytek recorder as well). Its not that hard to do, but gotta have to have the rom content /firmware/ to play with...
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is from http://www.daytek.ca/dr5102.html on the Daytek DR 5102

DVD RECORDER
    DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW Recording
    DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW Playback
    DVD-Video, DVD+VR, VCD, SVCD, Audio CD, MP3, JPEG Support

Component, S-Video, Composite Video Output
    DV-Link(IEEE-1394) Input
    Built-in Dolby Digital Decorder
    DTS (Coaxial) Output
    Progressive Scan

Multiple angle feature & subtitle
    Built-in screen saver
    Timer recording
    Recording from a DV Camcorder
    Recording: HQ(1hr), SP(2hrs), EP(4hrs), SLP(6hrs)
    NTSC TV Tuner built-in
    V-Chip (Parental Control)
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This is much as many liteon made units
    Note the recording times.
    60 min ---- 1 hr
    120 min --- 2hr
    240 min --- 4 hr
    360 min --- 6hr

I did not find a Daytek DR5102 that had a 3hr (180min) mode from the factory. BUT
    A unit may have slipped by as to region code.

I have yet to see any liteon product that did not have a 3hr recording mode.
    Have a 3hr mode as a choice, be MV free, etc withoit being hacked. This includes the Daytek, Gateway, and Ilo 04units.
    It was a firmware issue. The ability was there, including allwrite but was either turned off or on as the firmware Guru’s, at liteon, decided

A (hack) changed some these options
    I would think the hack alone was a Big, Big thing for many users

If a firmware could be changed by someone, to a scene other than one already in the firmware and have the unit accept it. Baring some other factors, I should think, that person could alter any unit’s firmware to whatever they wanted a unit to be or do.
    That person with such a post to that effect.
    Would be a real Hero in the DVD world

I would like my ilo RHD04 units to have allwrite and both them and the liteon 5045 units to have a 21/2hr mode (150min)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So you mean it is Lite-On after all?

If my friend let me open it, I'll ask him to lend it to me for weekend.
    Then I'll see what it has and what can be done.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just picked up a demo model Daytek DVR-950S from Futureshop with a 30 day return warranty. Though others have said that these units may be problematic, I think of this as a challenge and a new toy. I'm not able to buy a new Philips, so this will have to be my sub-$100 HDD recorder for awhile. At least there was an attempt to solve some of the problems with the unit with a firmware upgrade but I'm going to see if I can change this one into a Liteon as I have done with all my other units. At the very least it gives me something to do in my spare time when it's -40C outside (like today)....
    Quote Quote