VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings.
    Newbie here.
    I hope that you can help me with ideas and pointers to do this project..

I've noticed over time that, as my little kids watch children TV series, their English develops, much better than what they learn at school. It must be the exciting stories that attract their attention, driving them to want to know the meaning of the dialogue..
    But that helps them only in aural English, not in writing or spelling.

So, I came up with this idea:
    If I can record a few episodes, and add English hard subtitles, karaoke style, then use a tool or script that makes the video pauses at the end of each dialogue line, to allow the kid to read the words slowly, and probably an option to repeat that video part, as much as needed, before advancing to the next line of dialogue, at the click of a button, it would be a great tool for kids to learn the English language, reading, spelling and aural together, at their own pace, and with something they already love to watch.

Any idea what tools do I need for that project please?
    I've just downloaded Aegisub v2, and I know some basics about Virtualdub.
    Are they good for such project? any suggestions on how to do this please.
    Or should I use totally different tools?

Please advise. Many thanks in advance.

(btw, I got these ideas as I watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uLfei-0kU )
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone please?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd think about some advanced Video DVD authoring, using something like DVD-Lab Pro. Certainly not your "first authoring project".
    First, create a navigational system that behaves the way you like (wait for a key press at the end of a dialogue line, play again...) then add your subtitles, preferrably "real" DVD subtitles, so you don't have to reencode your video (as you'd have to, to add hard subs)
    I'd think you'll have to chop up your video so that each dialog line is one clip. Then there's the number of titles, and number of chapters/title avaliable to you to take into consideration. Won't be done in an afternoon!

And please don't bump your thread.
    From the site rules:
    Please try not to "bump" your topic.
    Replying to your own topic to get it to the top is annoying. Try to have some patience, this is a bulletin board, not IRC. It may take some time (e.g., one or two days) before someone can answer your query or question.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use DVD Lab Pro, you could use chapter playlists to save the need for chopping the video up into pieces. It also has the advantage that you can easily have a play through option that has no user interaction, without having to have duplicates of the source.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    topic title: "how to pause at each subtitle line"

I hope someone help me with this idea.
    To help my kids learn English, as a second language, I'm looking for a way to be able to play a movie so that it automatically pauses at each subtitle line, where it can be repeated as needed, before hitting a button to advance to the next subtitle line, and so on.
    Is there any media player or tool that can do that?

If not, then may be I can use some tool to create chapters. Is there a tool that can create chapters out of a subtitles file? I mean, use the timings of subtitle lines as chapter data?
    And if so, is there a player that can handle big numbers of chapters?

Any help given would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    99 chapters is the max allowed (per title) in the Video DVD specifications- No player will (nor should) support more than this. A problem in your application, I can understand.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've tried another route. I've tried using a subtitles editor, to view the movies. Subtitle Workshop does that fine. I can press Ctrl+Right to jump to the next subtitle line, and Ctrl+Left to go back to the previous line, and the video preview follows fine. If only there is a way to make it pause after playing each subtitle, it would be perfect for my kids. Can it be tweaked somehow to make it does that?

or is there any other subtitle editor that would pause the preview after each subtitle line?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh my God, I've finally found what I was looking for, a perfect solution, in case anyone is looking for this, its: GOM Player, at: http://www.gomplayer.com
    You can just press 'Home' button to repeat the last subtitle, and 'End' button to go to the next subtitle. It also has an A-B repeat option. That player is loaded with tons of advanced features!

Thanks everyone for helping me.
    Quote Quote