VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Matshita DVD –RAM UJ-841S 1.60 in my Toshiba Satellite Notebook and received and error from Nero CD/DVD Speed (4.7.7.5). I was trying to do a disc quality scan on Spider Man 3. The error was ‘Drive does not support this function’.
    Can anyone tell me what gives? I've tried ejecting disc while CD Speed is still running. Same issue.

Note sure if I need to update drivers or not.

Thanks
    Blue[/s]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's because your MATSHITA drive doesn't support disc quality scans. in other words it ain't gonna work with your drive. the only drives that can do disc quality scans are the BENQ 1640, 1650 or 1655 models or any LITEON dvd burner. even the PIONEER & LG drives are not able to do disc quality scans.

there's no need for any updates to your drive or computer to enable the disc quality scans.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You won't get anything useful from a scan anyway. Why are you doing this?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    You won't get anything useful from a scan anyway. Why are you doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh ok.

It has a disc quality scan function within the tool, correct? Wanted to see what it would do. Guess I won't considering the drive I have. Oh well, no biggy

Thanks
    Blue
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by budz View Post
    even the PIONEER & LG drives are not able to do disc quality scans.
    OMG, I have the same problem with my Pioneer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by P.J View Post
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    even the PIONEER & LG drives are not able to do disc quality scans.
    OMG, I have the same problem with my Pioneer

this isn't aol, pinhead. don't dredge up old posts to say "me too".
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's MISTER Pinhead to you buddy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry, but I didn't want to make a new topic. It relates to the new poll somehow.
    Wonder why Pioneer doesn't support while it's one of the best brands
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wonder why Pioneer doesn't support while it's one of the best brands
    Because scanning is stupid and the Pioneer company is not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Isn't it useful to test media quality?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by P.J View Post
    Isn't it useful to test media quality?
    You're scanning an individual disc/burn. Tells you (almost?) nothing about the overall reliability of a manufacturer's particular MID code. BTW, Lord Smurf's nomorecoasters website has disc reliability by MID code, i.e. what to buy.

Disc scanning was at one time almost a competitive sport over at MyCE (formerly CDFreaks). The most I'll say for it is that it's mildly interesting to read posts about different disc/burner combinations, at least by the more intelligent posters over there. I'm not convinced though.

I also doubt it's any more useful (for telling you a burn is good) than running disc verification with IMGBurn. Now that's another disputed point. In the past hech54 has stated it's not useful. I've pointed out *one* instance in my experience when it was; i.e. IMGBurn completed the burn (Optodisc BDRs) with supposedly no errors, and verification failed. And the discs were indeed unplayable, but the root of the problem was almost certainly a basic firmware writing strategy incompatibility. That may just be the exception that proved the rule. His position is certainly defensible.

Most here would say if you use a known good MID code disc, don't bother with the rest, it's a waste of time.

Maybe Kerry (a MyCE regular) will weigh in on this one. I'd be interested in reading that.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the reply, so verification is enough
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scanning media can provide useful information, but it has to be interpreted and combined with other data to provide an overall assessment. Taken alone, it's worthless information.

The problem with scanning information has always been with the people, most of whom are just uneducated amateurs. (Not "uneducated" as in high school dropout, but meaning not educated in media, and especially not optical media.) The SNR on scanning information is therefore mostly noise generated by keyboard warriors, and not experts of any degree. Some of the biggest noisemakers have turned out to be high school students and college kids. One of the little pissants that used to confront me online was all of 19 years old, as I discovered a few years later, and his idea of a sample size was three discs -- utterly ridiculous.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 11th Jan 2012 at 21:32.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply, so verification is enough
    I turned that off (in ImgBurn) YEARS ago as well. Buy good discs in the first place and even verifying is useless.
    Quote Quote