VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Originally Posted by hech54
    ... attempting to gather evidence of some sort against this site.
    "Evidence"?
    None needed...at least for me.
    All YOU need to do is look at the posts I linked to above as possible evidence and think logically.
    Check their post count, the content of their question and think of DVDDecrypter and the many other
    apps that have fallen victim to slimy, litigious idiots in the past.

Ban Them.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Paranoia? Maybe, maybe not.

Conversations such as this go to show that while this site (as its members and participants are concerned) might not agree with some laws and concepts pertaining to these subjects, the site does respect and understand the existance of these laws and concepts. Reasonable efforts are being made to self police and prevent unlawful activities at this site and to learn what is and what is not allowable under the law, while trying to maintain freedom of speech and the free exchange of thought.

As to what should be done to those that post direct questions about unlawful or questionable topics? Perhaps a rubber stamp reply by a mod or member with the instructions to read the rules and a link to the rules. Big red letters are nice, and a lock on the thread if needed.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?

Search Comp PM
    "Evidence"?
    All YOU need to do is look at the posts I linked to above as possible evidence and think logically.
    Check their post count, the content of their question and think of DVDDecrypter and the many other

Ban Them.
    Yes, think logically. If they are agents provocateurs, they would weaken any case brought.

They're just clueless. The world is full of newbies.
    To educate them, perhaps their accounts could be denied posting privileges for a week. Have a canned response emailed to them on the rules. Ban if they persist, not on the first offence.

Anyway, it's up to the mods who can investigate IPs and such if they want to. I didn't know this was something we could vote on.

4. Dunno about the rest of you, but I lurked for a long time before posting anything. Consequently, I never had to ask how to... never mind.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener
    Dunno about the rest of you, but I lurked for a long time before posting anything. Consequently, I never had to ask how to... never mind.
    One of the reasons people don't bother to research and study is laziness. They have a question about a problem and don't bother to try to research an answer. They sign up and ask their question. Some of them have a pissy attitude if the answer isn't served up on a silver platter. A few wind up being good members but most lose interest and go away.

Search PM
    "Evidence"?

Ban Them.
    Yes, think logically. If they are agents provocateurs, they would weaken any case brought.
    Based on (very) recent events regarding the RIAA, the MPAA and American politicians...nothing could be further than the truth.

7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WOW, alot of action in a few short hours, it seems that that the majority agree with first time, read the damn rules and second time well, obiously u didnt read the rules so get out. as far as banning the first time, read the name of the website VIDEOHELP.com. if people already knew what they were doing ,then why does this site exist? oh,oh,oh i know to HELP people with VIDEO related issues. so yeah we should do something, but not fry someone on the first time

fresh mpegs just like mom use to make
    if all else fails read the manual

Search Comp PM
    I see that you're seeing these too, hech54!

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic292318.html#1776027
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic335788.html#1776029

Seriously, how fucked up are those posts?
    His first question bumped an 18-month-old post .... and then bumped another random post with the same question .... all TWO of this new moron's posts .... specifically .... and GENERICALLY ... ask about "how can I remove Macrovision".

Something is fishy here. Something stinks. Like having your head up a cod's ass.

These are not newbies. They're not even asking real questions. It's some sort of bait. C'mon guys, I know you can read those IP addresses, so what's going on here?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    These are not newbies. They're not even asking real questions. It's some sort of bait. C'mon guys, I know you can read those IP addresses, so what's going on here?
    I can't see any pattern from the IP-addresses. But yes it looks a bit strange.

I have no plans to change our "fair use"-rules, you are allowed to discuss how to decrypt your own media so you can backup or convert it.

Search PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic292318.html#1776097
    Somebody removed the "Macrovision" post and my reply.

11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    hech54: He/She crossposted.

12. What is wrong asking about eliminating copy protection? If that is what you need to do to make a copy of a DVD, then that is what you need to do. And no one will ever eliminate DVDFab Decrypter because that is located in China.
    Hollywood could give DVDFab Decrypter a few billion to keep the software off the market and DVDFab Decrypter would gladly agree and take the money, but DVDFab Decrypter would still be available because that is the way the Chinese are.

Search Comp PM
    I think that I finally get it.

Even though I would ban any 1st time poster who asks about "removing copy protection" (for being a lazy MF), it actually goes deeper than that.

For example, you have someone asking how to transfer their home made tapes to DVD and they need to remove macrovision

I guess it's hard to describe the exact problem, but I can see how they're fishy and not like the standard, general ripping question. They have that bait "feel" to them.

Again, I do vote to ban so-called newbies who ask these stupid questions. Maybe a person is a newbie to video, but are they a newbie to the search function? To navigating a web site?

You can't tell me that these people set up their PCs, connect to the internet, and they're pre-configured to go to videohelp.com? There HAS to be some type of basic net usage skills operating by the time they reach here.

I guess that's why some of the weirder ones seem even more suspicious.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech54,
    Take alook at your sig, I think it says it all.

Search Comp PM
    I'm against blanket bans based purely on suspicions and gut feelings.

As far as "how to circumvent copy protection of various types" questions, newbies may not fully appreciate the nuance of ownership, versus drm, versus rental etc... Who knows that when properly redirected these new ones might become long term contributing members here.

You can say read the rules but how many of us actually read license agreements in full before clicking yes when installing software. They have a question, they want to ask it, they're in a hurry let's be realistic. Unless you have a question and answer activation that ensures they know the rules it's pretty much hit and miss.

That said...... There is a simple solution for us to follow. Click on the "Report this Post" and explain the reason for reporting it. Let the moderators do their job. Let them earn their big paycheck If it is a bait question they'll be watched.

Although sometimes it's tempting to do more, I don't believe the average Joe needs to do anything else.

btw) In general, IMO, when someone resurrects a really old thread then they were probably doing research but don't appreciate forum etiquette and the need to start a new topic. They probably need training more than derision.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting. Even I noticed it, so it must be very obvious.
    I've seen responses to some of these posts indicating it is illegal to bypass the copyright by Oldandinthe way.

So, my immediate suggestion would be that when someone notices one of these strange posts, they should give a clear answer to the post saying what they want to do is illegal and not allowed. Make the answer short and sweet and all in Caps.

Tony

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Of course, the whole "I rented ... and can't rip it" should be pretty much insta-ban.
    We've seen stupid people say such things in the past but I've noticed an increase as well in posts where people will say exactly that ... Oh BTW I rented, borrowed, stole this DVD I want to rip/copy/make love to etc.

Like LordSmurf says ... it does seem odd this influx of such statements/questions!

Would be nice if we can just flame the hell out of them like in the good 'ol days of the indolikaa specials

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    Yeah ... remember the time when we flamed the heck out of the guy who posted the comment ... Help ... I ripped a movie and it's over 8.5 Gigs !! ..................... that was fun

Search Comp PM
    In my mind, there is a distinct difference in these 3 items:

1. "My DVD recorder says the tape is protected. How can I bypass this to put my wedding tape (or whatever tape) on DVD?" ------ This is a fair question, as copy detection, and copy protection, are not the same. Many devices are overly sensitive in how they detect protection, so feel free to disable or bypass it, using the normal signal-cleaning methods, or with a firmware, driver or menu tweak on the recording device.

2. "I can't back up This Great Major Motion Picture DVD." -------- The site takes a stance on fair use, be it archival copies or safe copies for kids to destroy, or conversion to iPod. Fine. I think it has a definite purpose.

3. "How can I get around copy protection?" --------- No reason, no situation, no valid question. Just a bait-like question to see if people will discuss circumvention of copy protection. This conversation has no intrinsic value, there is no legitimate goal. This is bait, and this is what we've seen lately, and this is why I made this post. It would be very difficult to defend answers to questions of this nature.

Just to clear up confusion.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by SWBisbee
    hech54,
    Take alook at your sig, I think it says it all.
    I'd love to go into detail about the many other uses that
    DVDDecrypter users incorporate into their video projects
    but a simple search (by you) can give you all of those answers.
    IF indeed your post was meant as some sort of "crack" (pardon the pun).
    NEXT

Search PM

For example, you have someone asking how to transfer their home made tapes to DVD and they need to remove macrovision
    That's entirely possible and not an uncommon occurrence, they just might not be aware that it's not really macrovision. I have a article here complete with sample clips if anyone is interested: www.nepadigital.com/mv/

Number 5 on Google for the search term VHS Macrovision and a few others , they can kiss my ass. I spent a solid week trying to figure out what the problem is and just because the only realistic solution can be applied to the real thing is not my problem.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some around here are just "BAN" happy.
    There should not be an automatic ban for asking a stupid question.
    If they are fishing then they have the money and knowhow to overcome a "BAN".
    The only ones who would suffer would be those newbies who dont know any better.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman
    That's entirely possible and not an uncommon occurrence, they just might not be aware that it's not really macrovision. I have a article here complete with sample clips if anyone is interested: www.nepadigital.com/mv/
    On the other hand, you're trying to prove something with evidence from your own site. Not very objective.

Mainly, I haven't run across it, and I've been doing VHS-->DVD for years on many different types of equipment (even those mentioned in your article). Maybe not uncommon, but not far from it.

And nicky57 should be BANned.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Suppose they preface their post by saying they own the copyrighted DVD and they wish to make an archival back up which is permitted under, and in accordance with, the law.

Will you refuse to answer that question ?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MacPCConsultants
    Suppose they preface their post by saying they own the copyrighted DVD and they wish to make an archival back up which is permitted under, and in accordance with, the law.
    Read my post: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic340425-30.html#1776349

Personally, I wouldn't answer it, no. But that kind of question is not why I made this thread.

Not all mods and admins read every thread, and this was something I wanted to bring to their attention, using the proper feedback forum. Baldrick and others have seen it now, so it's his choice what's done. It just looks really unusual, and there is something else going on here besides your normal newbie questions.

25. This is an international forum. How do you apply a policy re banning without taking into account the laws of the location of the person asking the question. What's illegal in one country is perfectly legal in another. Do you take all the laws of all countries and only permit questions relating to activities that are legal in all those countries? And how do you verify that a poster is in the location they claim?

Seems rather unmanageable.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MacPCConsultants

Sounds suspicious. No one ever starts a thread that way. Why are they volunteering so much detail. It's a trap. Don't risk it. Quick..... hit the ban button.

Search Comp PM
    This was never about laws.

This was about something else, and I don't really need to explain it (those who need to know, already know).

Search PM

On the other hand, you're trying to prove something with evidence from your own site. Not very objective.
    What do you think I'm making it up?

Here's my first post here which coincidentally is about this very same issue -> https://forum.videohelp.com/topic208504.html

Note I thought I had it fixed in my last post but I jumped the gun.

A follow up about the Leadtek not having the problem -> https://forum.videohelp.com/topic216937.html

And the same problem with a nvidia Gforce VIVO card>>> https://forum.videohelp.com/topic218582.html
    (note i just edited this to fix old link)

Noe you can still argue its not ovjective but you can search this site ot the internet, the keywords you want to include are strobing, white band, macrovision , etc. This forum itself is full of these questions and thery don't start out "how do I get rid of macrovision" but instead follow along the lines of what you suggested. There's even a thread stickied in the restoration forum .

Unobjective? Maybe but I'm not the only one that experienced the same problem. If you really want to narrow your search down throw any of the ATI AIW 9000 series cards into the mix series and I think you'll be surprised to find its a lot of people.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    This is an international forum. How do you apply a policy re banning without taking into account the laws of the location of the person asking the question.
    Good or bad, you don't. You look out for the site, first and foremost, and not any single poster. On the flip side of that, the will of the community may stand out too, if they feel that the person is not up to community standards. This site has an off topic area, and certain places have an age of consent of 14, but I'm sure that no one here wants to see a bunch of posts about all the 14-year-old tail that some guy is getting. I know it's a little far-fetched, but I'm just trying to show that the good of the board (or specifically Baldrick) and its community comes before anything else, especially those things inappropriate for this board..

Originally Posted by thecoalman

What do you think I'm making it up?

Unobjective? Maybe but I'm not the only one that experienced the same problem.
    All that I'm saying is that, since you were volunteering the information to try to prove your own point, maybe ou should have used one of the others ("not the only one") as an example instead of yourself. No different than if it was a leprechaun you saw, then linked to a section on your own site, written by you, to prove it.