VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, there!

I am looking for a small portable TV (color or b&w) that can handle both NTSC and PAL input signals from video sources. Better yet, a color NTSC-only portable TV that can handle PAL in b&w is also acceptable (I have heard that some models can do that). I want to use this TV for testing purposes with different video equipment in different places, so the small footprint is important for me.

C Albert L
    discomakberto
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few companies that carry multi format TVs but they may not be that small, mostly 15" LCDs :

http://www.220-electronics.com/

http://www.world-import.com/tv.htm

Or try a search for ' multi format TVs '.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Disco Makberto
    Hi, there!

. Better yet, a color NTSC-only portable TV that can handle PAL in b&w is also acceptable (I have heard that some models can do that).
    I think you are misunderstanding how this works. All NTSC TVs that don't support PAL show PAL in black and white. The problem is that the image scrolls constantly and is thus unwatchable. I've never heard of any NTSC TVs that are able to display a PAL image correctly in black and white. Either you have a multistandard TV which supports both formats or you have an NTSC TV that is incapable of displaying a watchable PAL image. There is no middle ground.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello, Redwudz!

Thanks for your links.

The problem with the TV's that those vendors sell, as you correctly pointed out, is that they are not truly portable, though I still hope to find one.

CAL

P.S.: I am looking for something like 5", 7", or maybe 9" inches.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey, Jman98!

Some old TV's, those that have the button to manage scrolling, for instance, can show PAL videos in b&w. But you are right, there are other considerations that makes watching less than perfect; stretching could be an issue, for example. But in my case, those are minor issues since I would like the mini TV for testing purposes, not for watching purposes.

Cheers,

CAL
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try looking around the internet for a small (Maybe 7" screen.) portable player. But all the ones that are multi-format I saw seemed to be for DVD playback and didn't seem to have any video/audio inputs. But there may be one out there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you, Redwudz!

I found one similar to the one you are mentioning. It was a traditional CRT, NTSC & PAL, with DVD playback and A/V inpputs (and FM/TV tuners too). However, I think it is too expensive at more that $200.00. I was hoping to find someting less than $50.00...

I'll keep trying, and I will report back if I find something.

CAL

P.S.: I forgot. The portable TV had a 5.6" screen. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Update:

I found some cheap portable NTSC TV's with V-Hold control (for the scrolling issue), and A/V inputs. It could very well be the case that one of these portable TV's handle PAL signals, at least up to an acceptable point. I am going to buy one of these and test it with my NTSC & PAL VHS player, and I will report back in about two weeks. I hope to be sucessful.

Carlos Albert L
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go on ebay.co.uk and get a PAL LCD TV and/or monitor. Virtually all will accept either a PAL or NTSC signal and display it properly.

How about this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slim-7-LCD-TV-Monitor-In-Car-Widescreen-Audio-Video-UK_W0QQitemZ...QQcmdZViewItem
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I forget that on your 'side of the pond' dual PAL/NTSC TVs are common. Good idea about E-Bay.
    It's too bad US TV manufacturers didn't adopt the same setup.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would love to get a portable TV-like monitor like those models that are used for security purposes. Basically all of them, even those for sale here in the US, are NTSC and PAL. Of course, a TV-like monitor doesn't have a TV tuner, but I don't need a TV tuner. The challenge is to find a cheap one.

C Albert L
    D-Mak
    Quote Quote  
  12. Apparently, there are some NTSC-only TV-like monitors, but still, NTSC and PAL TV-like monitors are easy to find in the United States. The point that I am trying to make is that this is unlike TV with tuners that are hard to find with both NTSC and PAL systems in the United States. I have no idea why this is the case, but I can tell you this has been my experience so far.

C Albert L
    D-Mak
    Quote Quote  
  13. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7726721&type=product&id=1142290252289

I have one and it plays multi region PAL DVD's with a hack and has an input.
    Quote Quote