VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have burnt a DVD Video using dvd shrink. it was done after converting the mpeg 1 files to vob using tmpg enc. when it was burnt i got a message that dvd book type set to DVD ROM. now i wanted to play it in my Thompson dvd player. But it does not read. I checked it with my sony dvd drive. It does not read. When I clicked the drive letter in mY computer it shows DVD ROM 0 bytes where it is of more that 3 gb material. how can i get back the data? plz guide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you didn't burn anything to the disc at all. Did you use Nero or DVD Decrypter as the burning engine in DVD Shrink ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sumeshkri
    I have burnt a DVD Video using dvd shrink.
    Impossible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Impossible.
    ...as DVDShrink doesn't burn (on its own).
    Your process seems a little convoluted.
    • mpg1 doesn't necessarily have to be reencoded to be authored as Video DVD.
      TMPGEnc doesn't encode to VOB - it encodes to mpg (1 or 2) Or did you mean you authored the mpg1 to Video DVD using TMPGEnc DVD Author?
      Where does DVDShrink come into the picture? It's usually used for shrinking/transcoding.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of lazy or uneducated people use Shrink to create an ISO and burn because they either don't know a better way, or can't bothered learning a better way.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. well dear friends,
    thanks for the replies.
    i captured some videos from my tv to the computer . using ulead video studio i got the advertisements eremoved. then i joined a few videos into one. then i put it in tmpg enc to chenge format to vob. i have got so many vob files. so if one vob file exceeds one gb there is some problem in nero.
    then i want to make a dvd video. using dvd lab i make the menu and all connections. then i want to nburn it into a disk. for that i use dvd shrink. of course it uses nero writing tools.
    i know this only. can you suggest me how to make a dvd video using the tools in a better way.
    1. there are too many mpeg-1 files.
    2. i want to make multiple vob files.
    3. iwant to take all these vob files into one dvd video. the quality may be less but the content some four hours will be there. ihave done so many dvds. but this time i used moserbear blank dvd. then only this problem come. may be the probelm with the blank disk i used. But now i have did it in the way i explained. kindly help to to retrieve the data. yes i have made mp3dvd also. that i want to get bnack. help plz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    Load your mpg-1 files as source material, many to one title, or each as its own title or any mix of these.
    Cut out what you don't want in TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    Author to HDD.
    Burn to disk using ImgBurn. Done.
    VOB files are the output from authoring, not what goes into the authoring stage.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB files are created by the authoring process. There is no reason to, nor should you want to, create arbitrary VOB files while encoding. VOB files are created based on the need of the disc - size of video/menus etc, number of titles. Just encoding to VOB and then throwing them all together gives you nothing but a mess.

The DVD spec says that VOBs on an authored DVD may be no larger than 1000 MB. Again, authoring will take care of splitting the VOBs correctly so you can play them back. If you encode to VOBs then you get crap.

You have a couple of choices.

The best is to read and learn about DVD authoring. There is no quick pathway to learning how to correctly prepare video and author a disc. It takes time and effort.

If you don't have what it takes to do this, then find some reliable software, use it, and accept that what you get will never be as good as what you would have made if you had learned how it all works.

Personally, I would recommend FAVC or DVD Flick for a short cut method. The quality is good, the menus are simple in FAVC (DVD Flick does not produce menus), and they are pretty reliable.

If you do what to use DVD Lab then you must learn how to correctly encode your video and audio streams. DVD Lab will complain if you you give it crap (which includes mpg or VOB files that you don't demux correctly, non-compliant AC3 files etc)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. dear friends,
    once again let me thank you for the interest you have shown in my case.
    I do use the tmpg enc dvd author. with this software i change the MPEG-1 video files to dvd video files. then the mpeg-1 file will be vob files.
    then i take them to dvd lab and make a video ts folder. then i take the video ts folder into the nero burning rom-dvd video- video ts folder and burn.
    earlier i used dvd shrink to burn the dvde folder aftter it was made in dvd lab.
    after reading a guide, i began to use nero directly adn burn three dvds. it works on my stand alone dvd player.(assumed that a standalon dvd playeris a seperate dvd player which we use for watching dvds and vcds)

the problem i face now is the quality. the source quality is not good.can you suggest any method thorugh which i can improve the source material quality in the authoring process?
    thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what is wrong with the source, however if you are using mpeg-1 then you are already limiting your resolution and bitrate to the low end, so the quality of the source is either very bad, or your aren't too concerned with the quality. And blowing it up when viewing it will only enhance any flaws it has.

If your source is youtube-ish, then the most likely problem is blocky artifacts, in which case you might look at the MSU smart deblocker. It might smooth out the blocks, at a cost to sharpness.

FWIW, you should not feed VOBs to DVD Lab Pro. You will get much more reliable outcomes from giving it elementary streams.

Post some screenshots or a short clip if you want detailed answered on cleaning up the quality though.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So - Your process is:
    Source -> TDA -> DVDLab -> Nero -> disk

If your sources are DVD copliant (as they seems to be, as TDA accepts them) the process could be:
    Source -> TDA -> disk
    or
    Source -> DVDLab -> disk

I don't get why you use 2 authoring apps in your process.
    If you have to use an external tool to burn to disk, use ImgBurn.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. well once again thank you people for the comments and advice.

let me explain.
    I get the video files from the capturing process form the television. This is being done with the help of ulead .
    then removing the commercials i join the files to one vcd pal file.
    this file is being taken to tmpg dvd author 3 to convert to dvd video. it is being doen very quickly.
    I make a few files like this to be within the limit of one gb per file.
    every fiel is being taken to pmpg dvd author and conversion iis made.
    then i open these files in dvd lab to get one video ts folder in order to burn to disk.
    that is why i use two authoring tools viz tmpg and dvd lab.
    in brief:-
    more than one file to be converted to dvd video ,that too within the limit of one gb capacity.( I have a few file with less than one gb)
    in every distk i burn, there will be four to five movie items (of less than one gb capacity each)
    help and advice solicited.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) VCD is already DVD compliant. (Except for audio, which TDA will handle automatically.) No need to convert.
    2) TMPGEnc DVD Author can cut out unwanted parts as part of the authoring process. No need to remove anything before loading the mtrl into TDA.
    3) Why involve DVD-Lab, as TDA can do the same basic thing - Author to DVD? So far, nothing you've said explains the need for using 2 authoring apps in sequence.

I'm just trying to figure out why you go this long and winding road from capture to finished disk, when there is a short and straight.

/Mats
    Quote Quote