VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

I see that Raw DV uses a bit rate of 25Mb/s and High Definition also uses up to 30 to 48Mb/s - so is it adviseable to convert my travel videos which are on DV tape to High Definition - I mean is this possible to do (I mean to 720x576x50i for PAL) ?

Thanks
    Shelton.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Converting something to a higher bitrate or resolution isn't going to improve it and in most cases will make it worse. The best you will ever have is the original copy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no - what i mean is convert my DV footage to HD using 25Mb/s - is this possible ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For what purpose?

If you play these to an HDTV, the HDTV will handle the upconversion.

In the fuure you might want to upconvert these to edit with native HD source. You shouldn't alter the DV master tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BF109
    no - what i mean is convert my DV footage to HD using 25Mb/s - is this possible ?
    Makes no difference what you're doing... whether going from x to y format or y to x format. Minor filtering and other tweaks which can sometimes be beneficial aside, any conversion of video causes degradation and provides no end benefit except for specific purposes such as if you need to convert it to MPEG for authoring a DVD.

As mentioned just let the hardware do the conversion on the fly.

The best you will ever have is the original copy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree with BF109 and like his idea. It would be possible to improve the picture quality by converting DV avi directly to HD video. DV converted to mpeg2 and recorded to SD DVD has a noticeable quality loss due to bitrate limitations. The upconvert HD player will only upscale the video to HD format but will not recover the losses.
    Maybe it is already written some special scripts for Avisynth to convert DV avi to HD mpeg2 or etc..?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is an Avisynth script & function called iiP (Integrated Image Processor) that can upconvert from 720x4xx to 1280x720 (preferred) or 1920x1080. Go to the doom9.org forum and search that thread. Warning that script/function is SLOW SLOW SLOW and even SLOWER than that, so be prepared to wait a while, but the end esult is worth it. If you have a DuoCore Quad processor, then forget what I said Speed-up will be noticeable
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for an idea.
    I will try to read more on doom9.org about iip function.
    So far I have found that it works on progressive mpeg2 source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still see no reason to upscale from your DV master unless you are importing the material into an HD production.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree with Ed...whats the point of all this?

Garbage in Garbage out Folks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. O yes, of course it will be used for creating HD DVD for example.
    The HD video content might be even burned on a standard DVD disk as a 3xDVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    guys, he is obviously experimenting here. There is still room for that.
    Quote Quote