VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. OK, I'm completely lost. I have a computer (actually a brain) as part of a communication station. It has a 15 pin VGA out. The Sharp 52" has component video in and HDMI inputs. The installer that our company hired has the 15 pin converted to go to the component in and we're not getting a picture. Why not? How can I hook this up? I am sincerely screwed if I can't get this going!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be specific with model numbers. What are you trying to do?

If your Sharp 52" doesn't have VGA in you will suffer loss through a conversion box.

Another option is to change the display card in the "brain".
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks again, ed. It was a long, frustrating day and at 2:30am, I still don't have a solution. We bought the LCD at Costco, so the numbers might different. I believe the other difference is that this particular LCD does not have VGA in. So are you saying there isn't any way to hook this up without quality loss? I can't go VGA to component or VGA to HDMI?

The Sharp model number is LC 52D62U. That model will probably list VGA in, ours doesn't have it.

If anybody could respond before I have to get to work at 6:00am with a solution, I would appreciate it.

The bright side? I may be the owner of a new Sharp 52" TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a graphics card with HDMI output or DVI output and get a DVI-HDMI connector. ATI have budget models with full HDMI capability. nVidia also have them, although I believe they may cost a little more.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can't go do it, it's not our brain. Thanks for the reply, guns1inger.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey guys, Will the convertor linked below work with out a reduction in quality?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3413&sku=40698
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Captain Satellite
    Hey guys, Will the convertor linked below work with out a reduction in quality?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3413&sku=40698
    I don't think that converter is going to work at all. It says it provides S-Video and COMPOSITE (note that word carefully) outputs which are NOT what you say the TV has.

Dude, at this point I think you just need to worry about getting it working at all. Worrying about "a reduction in quality" is stupid when you may not be able to get ANY picture out of this TV and your setup.

Here are some various VGA to HDMI type converters that might work
    http://www.hdtvsupply.com/10vgatohdco.html
    I know nothing about this company. I found it with a web search.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh great, now I'm stupid. Thanks, but no thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh great, now I'm stupid. Thanks, but no thanks for your help.
    I didn't say YOU were stupid, I said worrying about quality when it's going to be tough to make it to work at all was stupid. I don't care if you don't like my advice. However, I can point out:
    1) YOU bought an expensive TV without doing the research to see if it would work with your computer.
    2) YOU didn't notice that the connector in the converter box you talked about won't work with your TV.

Although I didn't call you stupid, a person who does those kinds of things might have his intelligence questioned. By the way, I could have said nothing about #2 and perhaps you would have bought it and spent more money on something that doesn't help you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You've been really helpful in the past, jman, I'm not sure what the problem is today. There's more to this whole scenario than I am posting. Too many chefs in the kitchen if you know what I mean. As I said, this is work-related. Need I say more?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A converter may not work anyway. What are your output video settings of the "brain" (resolution and refresh rate)? Most TV's only accept very specific resolutions. A TV with VGA input would be a better bet, but even then you have to meet the TV's requirements. You need to start by knowing what the "brain" is outputting.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Perhaps I would come across as being more intelligent if I posted all of the facts surrounding the purchase of this LCD, at this point, it's pointless.

KK, The resolution of the brain is set to 1360 x 768. You can view a demo of the product/service below.

I will admit to being an idiot as far as not purchasing the whole package including the plasma and installation for a higher price. Our company has the money - dumb move.

http://www.themarlincompany.com/Products/DisplayECS.htm
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i just joined this forum, and just wondered if anyone,with some knowledge,could help.

I have quite an old 28'' wide screen tv and would like to connect it to my computer, the route i would be taking is to connect a vga output to a scart input, the guy at the computer shop has a cable like this for me.

my question is would this work, i have an acer aspire desktop computer, with a built in graphics,card, that probably doesn,t have a tv out fascility, what i mean is there is no s video output only vga.

On my computer the lowest resolution i can set it to is (800 by 600 pixels) if anyone has any advice or think they can help i would appreciate it thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you will need a converter like the one here http://www.hdtvsupply.com/10vgatohdco.html but if its possible take that tv back and get one that has a vga input vizio has a plasma 50" for 1200$ that would work great. if you cant return then your stuck with the converter. and there will be loss and some picture/screen fill issues. i dont think it will ever be perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  15. We have an account at Costco so we need to get it there. The 52" VIZIO was 2200.00 and the 47" is 1500.00. It's going inside a breakroom that is only 22' x 16' so we're going to get the 47" VIZIO today. The closest chairs at the table are only about 3 or 4 feet away from the screen, so I think 52" was probably too big to begin with anyway.

Thanks for all of the responses - even you, jman!

(We're returning the Sharp)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that 52 is full 1080P thats why its so much. it looks like costco doesnt carry the 50plasma 720p its much much less.. i got it at sams club. i have the 42 lcd and 50" plasma. the 42 only cost 900 out the door. the 47 you talked about is also full 1080P that means that your pc settigns will need to be 1920x1080 not 1366x768 like the other one.

there is a westinghouse 47 for less that has teh VGA input. its only 1300.

i did a quick look around and costco is 99%1080P sets. and the prices are good.

all you need to remember is that if you only have vga out on your computer just make sure you set it to the proper tvs native resolution before you hook it to the tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Costco will take the TV back.

Suggest you do that and start over asking usefull questions.

I don't have time to register your site find out what your idiot "brain" is. Post a spec and stop wasting our time guessing your problem.

Are you actually being paid to waste our time?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I took the TV back, all is fine. I asked the questions the only way I knew how to, ed.

You can view the demo w/o registering.

Am I being paid to waste your time? I can only waste your time if you allow me to waste your time. I was posting from work, I get paid to work, so I guess the answer would be "yes".

I'm surprised at your hostility, ed, you've been so helpful in the past. What might seem so obvious to you, is really foreign to me. I read your posts all the time and am quite impressed by your wealth of knowledge. Still, I see no reason for your reply.

I'm home now, so I'm not getting paid to waste your time anymore. Thanks for your help in the past, ed, I hope I can count on your help in the future.

Signed, A major newb (although I'm no longer young) from Northern California.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Heywould3, The tech at Marlin told me the the computer or "brain" is set to 1366 x 768. I'm at home (don't flame me) but I know I saw 1366 x 768 on the list of specs somewhere in the manual. Why would the computer need to be set to 1920 x 1080 and what would the difference be in terms of the picture? Thanks for your help, Heywould3.

Originally Posted by Heywould3
    that 52 is full 1080P thats why its so much. it looks like costco doesnt carry the 50plasma 720p its much much less.. i got it at sams club. i have the 42 lcd and 50" plasma. the 42 only cost 900 out the door. the 47 you talked about is also full 1080P that means that your pc settigns will need to be 1920x1080 not 1366x768 like the other one.

there is a westinghouse 47 for less that has teh VGA input. its only 1300.

i did a quick look around and costco is 99%1080P sets. and the prices are good.

all you need to remember is that if you only have vga out on your computer just make sure you set it to the proper tvs native resolution before you hook it to the tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took the TV back, all is fine. I asked the questions the only way I knew how to, ed.

You can view the demo w/o registering.

Am I being paid to waste your time? I can only waste your time if you allow me to waste your time. I was posting from work, I get paid to work, so I guess the answer would be "yes".

I'm surprised at your hostility, ed, you've been so helpful in the past. What might seem so obvious to you, is really foreign to me. I read your posts all the time and am quite impressed by your wealth of knowledge. Still, I see no reason for your reply.

I'm home now, so I'm not getting paid to waste your time anymore. Thanks for your help in the past, ed, I hope I can count on your help in the future.

Signed, A major newb (although I'm no longer young) from Northern California.
    OK two issues:

One, bad stock market day so I'm in a sour mood. Sorry.

Two, you owe us an explanation what this "brain" is and what video export options it has. If you are limited to VGA 1366x768, there are many flat screen HDTV sets (LCD or some plasma) that will accept that as an input. The Sharp DLP is not one of those. Adapting VGA to analog component would be expensive and would cause quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks, ed. We picked up a VIZIO 47" LCD. I'm at home but from what I recall, the brain has a SVHS out, audio out, VGA out, ethernet connection, keyboard and mouse connections and a couple of USB ports.

Do I need to reset my settings to 1920 x 1080 as Heywould3 suggest?

I uploaded the customer faqs to my site. It's a 13 page document that spells everything out. Page 1 is what it looks like and page 3 are the brain specs.

I don't know of any other company that offers this service. Basically, it's an electronic billboard for the workplace with Safety, Health and Wellness tips and up to the minute News, Weather and Sports.

http://myfavoritevideoclips.com/potluck/customeritfaqs.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, ed. We picked up a VIZIO 47" LCD. I'm at home but from what I recall, the brain has a SVHS out, audio out, VGA out, ethernet connection, keyboard and mouse connections and a couple of USB ports.

Do I need to reset my settings to 1920 x 1080 as Heywould3 suggest?

I uploaded the customer faqs to my site. It's a 13 page document that spells everything out. Page 1 is what it looks like and page 3 are the brain specs.

I don't know of any other company that offers this service. Basically, it's an electronic billboard for the workplace with Safety, Health and Wellness tips and up to the minute News, Weather and Sports.

http://myfavoritevideoclips.com/potluck/customeritfaqs.pdf
    This is the way you want to hook it up. Use 1366x768 @60Hz (WXGA)

"· Integrated Graphics Adapter with a minimum of 64mb video RAM, capable of supporting a 16:9
    aspect ratio desktop (848x480, 1360x768, 1366x768)"
    They define the TV as needing to be 1366x768p native.

"· Display Device w/remote control (Plasma or LCD): Must have an RGB/PC input, must support a
    native resolution of 848x480, 1360x768, or 1366x768. Note that this resolution must match the
    supported resolution of the Integrated Graphics Adapter listed above. The exact specifications
    depend entirely on the make and model that was purchased with your specific contract. If you
    require specifications on this device, please contact The Marlin Company for information."
    If the HDTV that you bought is a GV47LF, it is 1920x1080p native. The TV will need to upscale to that resolution. Call the Marlin Company and get their blessing. They may say as they do above that it must be 1366x768 native. That would require another trip to Costco for something like a VW42L - 42.
    http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=20
    http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=27

Good to stay with LCD for this since a home type plasma might burn in. The disadvantage for an LCD is angle of view. It will need to be carefully mounted near eye height. There are special "signage" plasmas that rotate and move the image slowly to prevent burn in. These have the advantage of wide angle of view.

This is an example of a 1366x768 Sony Commercial Signage Plasma as would be used in public spaces.
    http://www.monitoroutlet.com/M10685.html

Quote Quote  
  23. I'm really trying to comprehend what you're saying below, but I just don't get it. I don't know what upscaling to that resolution means. Get their blessing on/for what? I do know that they called me while configuring the brain to ask me what size screen we would be using. I told them that I would be using a 52". Today when I was on the phone with him, I asked him would it have to be changed since we were going to get a 47" and he said "no". He said that it was set to 1360 x 768.

I'm pretty sure that the TV that you linked is the one we bought, BUT, I know for a fact it had 1360 x 768 in parantheses right next to "RGB" on the side of the box.

I have to go to the plant for a couple of hours tomorrow, I'll check. As I pointed out above, I'm not sure what you're saying, ed.

"If the HDTV that you bought is a GV47LF, it is 1920x1080p native. The TV will need to upscale to that resolution. Call the Marlin Company and get their blessing. They may say as they do above that it must be 1366x768 native."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All LCD and plasma screens have a "native" panel resolution. Many are 1024x768 (most plasmas) or 1366x768 (most wide LCD). Some are full 1920x1080p.

VGA can be set to WXGA 1366x768 giving a match with no upscale or overscan to a 1366x768 panel. 1360x768 is close enough.

The "brain" display card maxes at 1366x768 and they recommend that resolution in the PDF.

If the TV you bought has 1920x1080p native resolution, the TV processor will upscale the 1366x768 input to 1920x1080. It may or may not overscan at 1920x1080.

They say they want you to use a 1366x768 native display. Maybe they think the text fonts won't look as good if scaled.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks for taking the time to reply, ed, I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 47" lcd that captain bought is full 1080P HD. what i was refering to is if the tv you have has a native resolution of 1366x768 then you need to set your brain to that resolution. if its 1920x1080 then you need to set the brain to that resolution. LCD an plasma monitors look very blury and washed out if not fed their proper resolution.

the only 47 on costco site is this one http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11195976&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

since thats a 1920x1080 native and the brain only puts out 1360X768 the pic will not look right. it will be useable just not as sharp as if it were fed the proper resolution. to show you what i mean. if you have a laptop around change the settings from their native display to something else and see what i mean.

EDIT: i read further in the details of the LCD and it says as a monitor the resolution is 1366x768 SO i guess as a VGA monitor your "brain" will work just fine.

I dont really understand that. maybe ED can explain that a bet better. BUT as a rule LCDs like to be fed their native resolution and the one you;re getting is 1920x1080 so why it says 1366x768 as a monitor is beyond me. sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 47" lcd that captain bought is full 1080P HD. what i was refering to is if the tv you have has a native resolution of 1366x768 then you need to set your brain to that resolution. if its 1920x1080 then you need to set the brain to that resolution. LCD an plasma monitors look very blury and washed out if not fed their proper resolution.

the only 47 on costco site is this one http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11195976&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

since thats a 1920x1080 native and the brain only puts out 1360X768 the pic will not look right. it will be useable just not as sharp as if it were fed the proper resolution. to show you what i mean. if you have a laptop around change the settings from their native display to something else and see what i mean.

EDIT: i read further in the details of the LCD and it says as a monitor the resolution is 1366x768 SO i guess as a VGA monitor your "brain" will work just fine..
    Where do you see 1366x1080 native for the Vizio GV47L ? It appears to be 1920x1080. If that is the case, the TV will internally upscale. The quality of the upscale depends on the processing chipset in the TV. All pixels would need to be interpolated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I dont really understand that. maybe ED can explain that a bet better. BUT as a rule LCDs like to be fed their native resolution and the one you;re getting is 1920x1080 so why it says 1366x768 as a monitor is beyond me. sorry.
    HDTV sets rely on scaling chips for quality. Other than some HD/BD DVD, nothing comes in at the native progressive resolution (1024x768, 1366x768 or 1920x1080 typ.). Most input is interlace 480i, 576i or 1080i so must be first processed for IVTC or deinterlace. Then the raster needs to be re interpolated (scaled) to native resolution.

The processor-scaler quality is the key to HDTV performance and is the main differentiator for premium models vs. budget models that use generic processors and scalers. The premium processors usually have much of the cost tied to royalties and sometimes frame memory delays. The Vizio processors are more at the generic end of the scale but some models use the no-memory version of the Faroudja DCDi chip.

Computer LCD monitors are highly price sensitive so they usually use lowest end scaling filters. That is why you should drive computer monitors at native resolution and use the diaplay card or OS to scale text.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

EDIT: i read further in the details of the LCD and it says as a monitor the resolution is 1366x768 SO i guess as a VGA monitor your "brain" will work just fine..
    Where do you see 1366x1080 native for the Vizio GV47L ? It appears to be 1920x1080. If that is the case, the TV will internally upscale. The quality of the upscale depends on the processing chipset in the TV. All pixels would need to be interpolated.

I didnt say 1366x1080 anywhere. but my whole point is.. that if the lcd is 1920x1080 native shouldnt you send it 1920x1080? not 1366x768 as the spec sheet says for that model
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

I didnt say 1366x1080 anywhere. but my whole point is.. that if the lcd is 1920x1080 native shouldnt you send it 1920x1080? not 1366x768 as the spec sheet says for that model
    Sorry for the typo.
    The spec sheets I looked at implied native 1920x1080 for the Vizio GV47L . I was just asking for a source that says 1366x768.
    Quote Quote