VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have a couple questions about converting rm files on a mac and avi's...

the rm files I have are compressed files, 120 MB for about an hour. how do I convert them to uncompressed avi's?? am trying to keep the audio and video quality the same as in the RM files, i.e. as lossless as possible...

is xVid an uncompressed codec? I have converted a few .rm files to xVid .avi's using ffmpegx's mencoder with decent success. but I dont think these are "uncompressed avi's" are they? the size(188MB) is very small for the length of the video(60 Min)...

any help is appreciated...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our mac forum section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't really want to convert them to uncompressed AVI. They would be huge, on the order of 40GB an hour or more. And the quality won't improve. At best it will be the same.

Real Video, Xvid/Divx, H.264, MOV, WMV, and several others are highly compressed formats. DV AVI would be a fairly low compression format, about 13GB per hour, and a good choice for editing in a AVI type format. Or less compressed, HuffyUV or Lagarith would be a couple of choices. Lower compression means larger file size.

But for RM, unless it is very high quality, I would just use Xvid or similar. If you need to edit the file after conversion, that's where you might use a less compressed codec for conversion. Xvid is not good for editing.

If you are using the Xvid codec, you should be able to set the codec to a Quantizer setting of 2 or lower and get very close to the original RM quality. But the file size with be larger.

What do your want to do with the files after conversion?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You don't really want to convert them to uncompressed AVI. They would be huge, on the order of 40GB an hour or more. And the quality won't improve. At best it will be the same.

Real Video, Xvid/Divx, H.264, MOV, WMV, and several others are highly compressed formats. DV AVI would be a fairly low compression format, about 13GB per hour, and a good choice for editing in a AVI type format. Or less compressed, HuffyUV or Lagarith would be a couple of choices. Lower compression means larger file size.

But for RM, unless it is very high quality, I would just use Xvid or similar. If you need to edit the file after conversion, that's where you might use a less compressed codec for conversion. Xvid is not good for editing.

If you are using the Xvid codec, you should be able to set the codec to a Quantizer setting of 2 or lower and get very close to the original RM quality. But the file size with be larger.

What do your want to do with the files after conversion?

And welcome to our forums.
    thanks for the response...

What I have on the rm files is live music performances with audio and video, I am open to using any format that will retain as much of the original video/audio as possible, this isnt something I want to have a poor quality copy of...and space isnt really an issue... My end result is to burn it to DVD

about the quantizer setting, right now it is set as
    QMin=2 QMax=15
    should I change that?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your end goal is a DVD, then why go to the trouble of encoding into an intermediate format?? Every conversion takes time, and degrades quality, so if you don't need the intermediate form, there's no good reason for making extra work for yourself.

To end up with the highest quality, use the highest bit rate consistent with fitting the movie on whatever size DVD you are going to produce. The DVD spec also has a bitrate ceiling of just south of 10Mb/s (9.8Mb/s if you want to be picky). So you can't go higher than that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I agree if your final format is to be DVD, I would skip Xvid entirely. If you really need a in-between format, you might try DV AVI, or for less compression HuffyUV or Lagarith.

I haven't used my Mac for video in quite a while, so more experienced Mac users may give you better advice. You will likely need to resize the video for DV as it's the same framesize as DVD video. But you will need to resize anyway for DVD.

But better, as mentioned, would be a single conversion to MPEG-2, then author to DVD.

And for the Quantizer setting, this is the one I mean:

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    If your end goal is a DVD, then why go to the trouble of encoding into an intermediate format?? Every conversion takes time, and degrades quality, so if you don't need the intermediate form, there's no good reason for making extra work for yourself.

To end up with the highest quality, use the highest bit rate consistent with fitting the movie on whatever size DVD you are going to produce. The DVD spec also has a bitrate ceiling of just south of 10Mb/s (9.8Mb/s if you want to be picky). So you can't go higher than that.
    ok, Im open to doing it differently...

Anyone know or a RM>MPEG-2 converter for Macintosh?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree if your final format is to be DVD, I would skip Xvid entirely. If you really need a in-between format, you might try DV AVI, or for less compression HuffyUV or Lagarith.
    Are these for Macintosh? all the comments seem to be PC based..

I haven't used my Mac for video in quite a while, so more experienced Mac users may give you better advice. You will likely need to resize the video for DV as it's the same framesize as DVD video. But you will need to resize anyway for DVD.

But better, as mentioned, would be a single conversion to MPEG-2, then author to DVD.
    gladly, any suggestions on RM>MPEG-2 on Mac?

And for the Quantizer setting, this is the one I mean:

mine looks like this as Im using ffmpegx

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try using the DVDmpeg2enc option in ffmpegx?
    good luck.
    .rm is such a fussy format to convert from,
    I see why you were thinking of going intermediate,
    then to DVD.

the only solution I know that's straight forward without headaches,
    is this PC based version.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj
    try using the DVDmpeg2enc option in ffmpegx?
    good luck.
    Pretty sure I have to use the mencoder engine with .rm files but I tried anyways, and heres the result after it failed.

* /bin/sh: line 1: /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX/mpeg2enc: Malformed Mach-o file
    Thu Nov 8 20:21:56 EST 2007
    INFO: [yuvscaler] yuvscaler 1.9.0 (15-02-2004) is a general scaling utility for yuv frames
    INFO: [yuvscaler] (C) 2001-2004 Xavier Biquard <xbiquard@free.fr>, yuvscaler -h for help, or man yuvscaler
    movtoy4m
    Copyright 2002-2006 Johan Lindstr??m
    All rights reserved..
    ERROR: Could not open movie: /Users/****/Desktop/Dez/Dez.rm
    **ERROR: [yuvscaler] Could'nt read YUV4MPEG header!

Originally Posted by terryj
    .rm is such a fussy format to convert from,
    I see why you were thinking of going intermediate,
    then to DVD.

the only solution I know that's straight forward without headaches,
    is this PC based version.
    yep, fussy indeed...

thanks... no pc though
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a RM video of Enya that I converted as a test of ffmpegX on Real video. It worked fine.
    The avi is three times the original rm size, but the quality is the same.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The avi was then handed to Toast. The dvd video ts is now 58mb.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah dnix71, that what was I was suggesting, that a hand-off
    to a intermediate format would be necessary to eventually
    get it into a DVD.

But the OP wanted a simple 1 to 1 solution.
    And if ffmpegx failed to give him that straight
    1 to 1 path ( 2 step process) ( .rm to authored valid Video_TS folder
    for DVD), then it would have to be done on a PC,
    as that's the only thing I found.

nothing exists on the mac that is 1 to 1,
    at best, like you pointed out,
    it's 1 to 1 to 1 ( 3 step process).
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A movie capture utility like iShowU or SnapZ Pro X will make an avi in one step, but the files are hideously large. At 15 fps into a mov, it's like 100Mb a minute. Which is strange, because that mov handed to iSquint will return the file back to original size if you choose 'optimize for iPod' and 'go nuts' for quality.

I don't like proprietary formats like Real, but I do admire their evil genius at making such a small file that looks as good as it does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dnix71
    A movie capture utility like iShowU or SnapZ Pro X will make an avi in one step, but the files are hideously large. At 15 fps into a mov, it's like 100Mb a minute. Which is strange, because that mov handed to iSquint will return the file back to original size if you choose 'optimize for iPod' and 'go nuts' for quality.

I don't like proprietary formats like Real, but I do admire their evil genius at making such a small file that looks as good as it does.
    Yeah "hijacking" is the way to go with .rm files,if you got the free space on your HD.

I agree with you on not liking their proprietary file format....had they really wanted to, they could have
    come to an agreement with Apple, and work together on their container formats.
    Their new rmvb ( realmedia variable bitrate) files are really good, the ones I've seen on the web.
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestions guys, Ill try to hijack it, and see how it goes...
    Quote Quote