VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I installed what I take to be the most recent trial version, and converted a sample of about 51 (downloaded) video clips, totaling 1 hour 9 minutes running time. The clips' video formats were quite varied, I'm sure. ConvertX made a serviceable menu and auto-authored the DVD. This much is already fairly impressive. (The config settings were probably all the default ones, but at this point I'm not sure.) As some have pointed out to me here -- and not in a particularly civil fashion, either -- downloaded clips are extreme pot luck: you never really know what you've got, and quality expectations should be low. That said, I have to tip the hat so far to the ConvertX people. The video quality is for the most part a bit better than I thought it would be, and certainly shows no appreciable deterioration from the source. It is enough to make me want to purchase a license. One thing does puzzle me a bit with the audio results on certain clips though. A few of them came out with just a severe "picket fencing" type of intermittent noise that is not at all recognizable as speech. But they do not sound that way when the source files are played on the computer. Am I lacking some essential audio codecs, or can you offer some explanation ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Without knowing what your source it, it is impossible to say what is happening.

You can use something like g-spot or media info to tell you what your audio and video actually is (note : you may need to install both tools, as they present different information, and neither read all formats well)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertX is a very nice almost automatic app.
    The config settings were probably all the default ones, but at this point I'm not sure
    Make sure you set 'TV Format' to your Video Standard, PAL/NTSC and that TV Screen is set to Automatic.

A few of them came out with just a severe "picket fencing" type of intermittent noise that is not at all recognizable as speech. But they do not sound that way when the source files are played on the computer.
    Stuff happens, no app is perfect and many downloads have been poorly created.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in settings/audio there is an option to automatically adjust sound level. i don't know if it's on by default but it can cause distortion. make sure it's off. other than that i would agree it's a useful app.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote