VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have a Toshiba laptop with 2 user accounts setup. On one account the user is able to log into the internet, but the other user can not. Both users are setup as Administrators.

Would this be a settings issue?

Thanks
    Blue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Home or corporate network ?
    Ethernet or wireless ?
    Software firewall ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Since the hardware is demonstrated to be functional, yes, it IS a settings issue. WHICH SETTING is the trick, depending on who set it up. Two Admin users is not something I would normally do, but not really a problem.

Start at the beginning, IP settings, ping tests, on from there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. gunslinger,
    it is a home network connected wireless with laptop but ethernet with desktop through Dlink DIR-635 Router

As far as firewall, it's with XP defaulted software

Nelson37,

have to have two Admin, my girlfriend is taking her masters online and need to be able to have authority to download certain files. Her profile is the one that will not allow internet connection. Actually I activated the Guest account to see if it was just her profile, but even with the Guest account, I still wasn't able to log into the internet.I'm using Config Free software by Toshiba to connect to the internet, would that be an issue? And that's weird I'm the only one able to login.
    I've also look at the IP settings and nothing wrong there. I can ping off of different profiles/accounts? How would I do that? Just login under that profile and msconfig?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Login as her.

Run, CMD. IPCONFIG /all. Note IP numbers for whatever card you are attempting to use.

Ping yourself. Don't do this too often or you may go blind.

Ping the gateway.

Ping DNS. If DNS is in same subnet or equal to gateway, ping 63.75.167.11.

If your address is 169.something, stop right there, DHCP is not working. For a 3 unit network, DHCP is worse than useless. Manually enter IP numbers, re-test.

Report all ping results. "Reply From" is success. Destination host unreachable or timeout is failure.

Define "nothing wrong with IP". MSCONFIG has absolutely no functionality, use, or purpose in resolving this issue.

Results of this test will determine the problem, without fail.

The Toshiba software is unnecessary, not needed, and to the extent it is different from standard and known methods, it is a bad thing. Waste of time and effort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    The Toshiba software is unnecessary, not needed, and to the extent it is different from standard and known methods, it is a bad thing. Waste of time and effort.
    If you're only using your laptop in your home, connecting to your own access point, Windows Zero Config, part of WinXP, is fine. Not bad for roaming either.

Anyway, you should be able to disable the Toshiba software and reenable WZC and simplify matters.

Also, from your desktop you should be able to look at the admin/status of the router, which will tell you things about what is connected to it. RTFM for details, but likely to be visible in your browser at an address like
    http://192.168.1.1/
    Quote Quote  
  7. I logged in under my girlfriends account and pinged gateway and 63.75.167.11. DNS was equal to the gateway. No errors, disconnects or anything negative was returned. so I opened the ConfigFree software went to Devices Settings looking to disable the software but ended up only disabling the wireless network connection. So I enabled it back again and I was able to connect wirelessly under my girlfriends account with the ConfigFree software. So I didn't figure out a way to totally disable the software probably unless I uninstall it. I'll most likely continue to use this software (not disclaiming MS software), but I kinda like ConfigFree right now. So, if I later decided to go back to Wireless Zero Configuration, what would be the correct steps?

Thanks a lot for everyones help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bluemoss
    So I didn't figure out a way to totally disable the software probably unless I uninstall it. I'll most likely continue to use this software (not disclaiming MS software), but I kinda like ConfigFree right now. So, if I later decided to go back to Wireless Zero Configuration, what would be the correct steps?
    You can only have one app in charge of wireless config. WZC is the XP default. For anything to replace it, they have to disable WZC (and vice-versa).

If well written, they will have a way to gracefully uninstall and restore WZC. Otherwise you can have problems.

If you've shut down ConfigFree and WZC is not active, you can restore it by
    Control Panel/Administrative Services/Services
    Find WZC listed and turn it on (right-click), or make it "automatic" to always be on.

I've tried a few wireless config apps on my ThinkPad. The IBM Access Connections was too unwieldy, Boingo (a freebie for a hotspot company) is what I use when out and about, simple and effective. My wife has a Dell laptop that lives on the coffee table, so that is fine with WZC, it always logs on to my own access point.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, I understand. I remember looking at WZC before. Can't remember if it's set to 'automatic' or 'disabled'.I'll check to make sure it's disabled. I'm assuming it's disabled, since I'm able to use ConfigFree. Yeah, I didn't find any uninstall instructions for ConfigFree like other software. I think I will have to uninstall through the control panel for this in the future. And make WZC 'automatic' and all should be good. Weird there are no uninstall instructions with this software. I'll check around again just to be sure.
    Yeah, it's cool to be able to use other config apps to see what works best for you. WZC is simple and effective, but I like the graphics with ConfigFree. I still need to read more on the other functions it offers.

Forgot to set my SSID as 'invisible'. Not to broadcast freely. I'll do that when I get home. I'm learning a lot of good things about wireless network security. I know this is another post, sorry.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
    Blue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to set my SSID as 'invisible'. Not to broadcast freely. I'll do that when I get home. I'm learning a lot of good things about wireless network security.
    That's not a "good thing".

See Wireless LAN security myths that won't die
    The problem with turning off SSID beaconing on your access point is that not only is it worthless, since the SSIDs are still easily detectible over the air, but it also forces your laptops to probe for the SSID. That means that all of your laptops will run around the world broadcasting your SSID, which opens them up to data seepage or even evil twin attacks

Just have a longish WPA password and you'll be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Let me get this straight, the Windows setup is "simple and effective", but you prefer the pretty pictures in the Toshiba prog? Do you plan on spending a lot of time with this app? It's a set it and forget it type of thing. I'll take simple and effective over pretty almost every time. Not to mention, almost any PC tech could walk you thru the Windows prog from memory, perhaps one in ten will be familiar with the Toshiba prog. To each his own.

SSID worthless for security, use NAT, and some form of encryption. Just setting a non-standard internal address gives a good deal of security.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Forgot to set my SSID as 'invisible'. Not to broadcast freely. I'll do that when I get home. I'm learning a lot of good things about wireless network security.
    That's not a "good thing".

See Wireless LAN security myths that won't die
    The problem with turning off SSID beaconing on your access point is that not only is it worthless, since the SSIDs are still easily detectible over the air, but it also forces your laptops to probe for the SSID. That means that all of your laptops will run around the world broadcasting your SSID, which opens them up to data seepage or even evil twin attacks

Just have a longish WPA password and you'll be fine.

Ok, yeah my WPA password is loooong.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Let me get this straight, the Windows setup is "simple and effective", but you prefer the pretty pictures in the Toshiba prog? Do you plan on spending a lot of time with this app? It's a set it and forget it type of thing. I'll take simple and effective over pretty almost every time. Not to mention, almost any PC tech could walk you thru the Windows prog from memory, perhaps one in ten will be familiar with the Toshiba prog. To each his own.

SSID worthless for security, use NAT, and some form of encryption. Just setting a non-standard internal address gives a good deal of security.

Yep, I like the way the ConfigFree is setup. Plus I still like the option of being able to use another application other than windows. Like I said, I'm not putting Windows down. Just like to be able to use something different. Yes, I plan on spending time with this app.

NAT? I have to look more into this as well.
    Quote Quote