VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Archos player that I use to make dvd with from my vhs tapes.The files looks great on the player but when I burn them to a dvd they still look like a vhs tape.Is there a program that I can use that will mort of upconvert the vhs file to a better looking picture? Here is a link to the gadget I use to make my dvd files.
    http://www.archos.com/products/video/archos_504/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The basic rule of transfer is this:

You can never make a transfer look better than the source.

A VHS tape will never look better than a VHS tape, no matter what format you transfer it to.

Hence, unless the VHS tape's contents cannot easily be replaced (a recording of a wedding or the like), the only advice you are going to get is "don't bother".
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,I sorda figured that.It was a movie that I dont want to degrade each time I watch it on vhs.Thanks for the reply though

Sean
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity, which movie?
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Slaughter High
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah yes... then that might be worth the transfer hassle, as I think the company that owns the rights would be long out of business.

However, unfortunately, the original statement still applies. While the DVD will be incorruptible and look the same regardless of whether you have played it once or a thousand times, it can never be any better than the tape it has been converted from. My advice, given the difficulty in finding the title on anything anymore, is to simply be happy that you can do the transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is worth its weight in gold.Vestron used to own the rights but I heard now that Lions Gate bought all the rights to them.It is in its uncut form also which is rare for a movie to be uncut in the mid 80's

Sean
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nilfennasion is correct, but you can touch it up with a color corrector either by software or hardware. It will make it look a little bit better than not using it at all.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but you can touch it up with a color corrector either by software or hardware.
    Yes, if a person asking about this kind of conversion had done numerous such conversions before, I would be inclined to recommend trying this. But the obvious problem is that without knowing when you are going too far, it is all too easy to mess the thing up.
    Quote Quote