VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A friend connected a 15volt power adapter to his 12volt external hard drive. Now drive no workee. The same friend never dusted his 3 year old PC mobo and EVERY fan stopped spinning in it.

Back to the drive - I would take it the likely course of action would be to try and remove it from the casing and hope the actual drive itself isn't kaput ? Any other suggestions ? External "Silver Casing" Maxtor 160GB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you can't get a warranty claim - negligence - then open the case remove the drive and connect it to an IDE or SATA channel and power to see if it works. If it does you can use it as an internal drive or purchase one of those external device boxes to regain the portability. Those boxes have a small controller board in them and that is all that may have blown.

Just make sure to unplug the power supply before opening the case! :P

VH
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the drive is still under warranty I would not open the case. I would ask for an RMA from Maxtor.

Many companies limit their checkout on returned drive to checking the seals on the product and looking for physical damage. Open the drive and break the seal may be the only way to actually void your warranty.

If it isn't in warranty opening the box and checking the drive is a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, gents. Apparently, the data is important enough to risk voiding the warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking the drive itself has a good survival chance. The case may have some overvoltage protection or the drive itself may have internal voltage regulation, though if that higher voltage was passed to the drive, it might not last too long.

Worst case, if it doesn't work when used as an internal drive: It's hard to guess if the internals of the drive are OK or if only the controller board is fried. Professional data recovery is expensive. But that's the next level.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Recently had a customer with almost the exact same experience. Dead drive. Recovery not worth the effort, was out of warranty.

Recommend careful labeling of external power supplies to match the device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello everyone.
    I did the same thing, I connected too much voltage to my portable HDD, its an old IDE Seagate 200 GB 7200 rpm
    Now it wont start, took it out from the case and connected to a PC but nothing, now what can I do. I have a lot of old family pics that really want to recover...
    Please help me out, I am prepared to pay some money to recover the files.
    I live in Sweden.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BurnedMyHDD View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I did the same thing, I connected too much voltage to my portable HDD, its an old IDE Seagate 200 GB 7200 rpm
    Now it wont start, took it out from the case and connected to a PC but nothing, now what can I do. I have a lot of old family pics that really want to recover...
    I live in Sweden.
    just to let you know, this is an old dead thread, usually it's better to start your own new post.

as for the drive there are professional data recovery businesses. cost is extremely high as they have to remove the platters and put them into a working drive in a clean room. the only other way that occasionally works is to find another working seagate 200gb drive of the exact same make model and revision number to take the mainboard off of and put onto the dead drive. maybe a 10% chance of it getting the dead drive going as the motor and servos are most likely fried.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by BurnedMyHDD View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I live in Sweden.
    just to let you know, this is an old dead thread, usually it's better to start your own new post.

as for the drive there are professional data recovery businesses. cost is extremely high as they have to remove the platters and put them into a working drive in a clean room. the only other way that occasionally works is to find another working seagate 200gb drive of the exact same make model and revision number to take the mainboard off of and put onto the dead drive. maybe a 10% chance of it getting the dead drive going as the motor and servos are most likely fried.
    Thank you for your reply. Yes I think I ll try to find another Seagate of the same model and give it a shot.
    Quote Quote