VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a whole bunch of problematic WMV files that I cannot seek through (fast forward). Neither Windows Media Player 11 nor Media Player Classic work. VLC is miraculously able to seek, but I can't use it because it lacks full screen controls

I have tried the following:
    • VirtualDub-MPEG2 2.1.6.19 (build 24586).
      ffdshow VFW interface, WMV3/9 format set to be handled by decoder wmv9.
      Saves 134 MB out of 604 MB, then stops and displays this error:
      ASF: missing fragment (Media_Object_Number=be, current_obj=bd, pktpos=12ec9b36)
    • Fx WM VIndexer
      Instantly says "Complete" but doesn't even create the output file.
    • AsfTools 3.1
      Failed with an error message I don't remember and now it won't even start. After I click OK at the welcome screen, it just disappears.
    • Steeper 1.2
      Creates a useless file 5.92 KB in size.
    • AsfBin with the Reindex batch file that was posted on this forum.
      Creates a file 188 KB in size, with corrupt video to boot.
    • Windows Media Encoder 9 > Windows Media File Editor
      If I choose "Save and Index" it instantly says "Failed to save file" and if I choose "Save As and Index" it says the same thing but about a minute later.
    I can't re-encode because of the loss of quality. Is there no hope at all?!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'd still like a solution to reindexing the files (if there is one), but I wanted to report some small success

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, still includes Windows Media Player 6.4 with recent versions, named MPLAYER2.EXE in the installation folder. This version is able to seek through the WMV files, plus it has a seek bar in full screen mode! The only problem is that playback is sluggish and it takes a few moments to fast forward; that's why I'd still much rather reindex the files instead

Oh well. If no one can help, then I hope this message might at least be useful to others with the same problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm surprised mplayer2 works and not MPC. MPC is often superior. The slow ff/rw is likely related to the bad file indexing. Unfortunately, you've already tried all of the current tools for fixing such issues.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to download the Microsoft Windows Media SDK kit and use their re-exer to get the seek to work. I don't believe it will touch files that are protected with DRM, however (I cant' remember). I had the same problem with someof those WMVs and this tool worked great and its fairly quick as well.

I'm sorry, but I'm at work and can't give you a link. Google it and you should get a link to it.

Relayerman
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Unfortunately, you've already tried all of the current tools for fixing such issues.
    That's what I thought... thanks for the confirmation!

Originally Posted by Relayerman
    You have to download the Microsoft Windows Media SDK kit and use their re-exer to get the seek to work.
    You mean the File Editor in Windows Media Encoder 9? As I mentioned, I tried that. If you meant something else, I'd appreciate a direct link, since there are quite a few SDKs and there doesn't seem to be an encoder SDK newer than version 9.
    Quote Quote