VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071030-bd-may-be-on-the-ropes-as-progress-made-on-crack.html
    SlySoft, the Antigua-based company behind AndDVD HD, has claimed that it knows how to defeat the additional BD+ encryption available on Blu-ray devices and that BD+ movies will be cracked by the end of the year.

In a press release, the company appears to relish its outlaw status in Hollywood. "I should really think about hiring a bodyguard now, since this product won't please everybody," said James Wong, the company's head developer. He's certainly right about that.

AACS, the "advanced" copy protection system deployed on both high-def disc formats, proved itself to be something less than hacker proof when it was cracked in a couple of months. Back in April, hackers announced a set of "non-revocable cracks" and then promptly cracked AACS again a day after it was "fixed."
    BD+ is a second layer of encryption that can be slapped on top of AACS. It wasn't used with initial Blu-ray releases because, well, it wasn't actually done. The specs and licensing arrangements weren't worked out until June of this year, and it wasn't long after that BD+ went to work annoying legal users.

The technology allows special code to run in a virtual machine that is created on Blu-ray devices. This code runs continuously in the background while a disc is playing and examines the player environment for traces of tampering or copying. The code is disc-specific and is deleted from memory once a disc is ejected.

Despite its complexity, BD+ may soon join AACS on the "PWN3D!" list. SlySoft has a good track record when it comes to handling AACS, and the company's newest release of AnyDVD HD includes a bypass for the recent upgrade to the media key block (MKBv4) that is used to protect new HD DVD and Blu-ray films.

SlySoft's CEO, Giancarlo Bettini, claims that his firm is really one of the good guys; in reality, it's Hollywood that is trying to shoot itself in the foot, and companies like SlySoft that want the industry to keep on walking. "I wonder when people will understand that more restrictions, pressure and protections that prevent things from working won't generate more but less revenue," he said in a statement. "Microsoft's revenue in the 90s proves us right and even Apple recently released a DRM-free iTunes version."

So it's all openness, ice cream, and puppies? Not quite. As a SlySoft dev recently noted in the company's own forums, "You must understand, that our research costs a lot of time and money—funded by customers who have or will buy an AnyDVD HD license—and we don't want other commercial software publishers to benefit from our work."

That's the explanation for why the company won't release parts of its decryption code, and it sounds an awful lot like the kind of argument advanced by another industry...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting......
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it's all openness, ice cream, and puppies? Not quite. As a SlySoft dev recently noted in the company's own forums, "You must understand, that our research costs a lot of time and money—funded by customers who have or will buy an AnyDVD HD license—and we don't want other commercial software publishers to benefit from our work."
    That's the explanation for why the company won't release parts of its decryption code, and it sounds an awful lot like the kind of argument advanced by another industry...
    Sounds like somebody writes at the level of a high school speech class student. That reasoning is warped. Not wanting to share your tech with others is a far cry from trying to prevent customers from using legally-purchased merchandise as they see fit.

At any rate, this is a puff piece. I hate vaporware releases. Either put it out or don't say anything.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    ..................................... Either put it out or don't say anything.
    Reminds me of an old girlfriend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bah. There must be a dozen different crackers all on the verge of defeating BD+.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote