VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to convert file .avi encoded with video codec H264 and audio codec Ogg to simpler one with XDIV(XVID) and MP3.
    What video converter can I use? Or is there any codecs needed?
    (I have K-Lite mega codecs Packs installed, and I love to use VirtualDub to convert

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Avidemux, MediaCoder, SUPER and many other tools based on libavodec, FFmpeg or MEncoder ...
    (Above tools not require and not use extrernal codecs.)

VirtualDub required ffdshow VfW wrapper and Vorbis Ogg ACM codec (to decode A/V streams).
    Or use Avisynth script (DirectShowSource - required DS filters) in VD or some other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I will try
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or alltoavi, handles h264 pretty well...also a ffmpeg/mencoder gui.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The previous posters said it all, but keep in mind that the AVI container is an older format and will have difficulty handling modern codecs like H.264. By its very nature the AVI container can't "see" as far ahead/behind as up to 16 multiple reference frames, B frames, etc. of the H.264 standard so you're bound to lose something along the way with encoding/muxing/decoding.

And if you want HD, the 4GB limit will be a pain with AVI. Anamorphic? Another story.

You are better off using MP4 or MKV as your containers. If you really want AVI, then ODML AVI may be good for you, but to me that's only a "hack". Not a true format.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote