VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to convert a wifi signal to an ethernet signal?

I have wifi in my house.
    I would like to be able to connect my PS2 to the internet, but the router is kind of on the other side of the house, so a 100ft ethernet cable would be ridiculous.
    Since the system only accepts ethernet, i would need a device that can take the wifi signal and connect my ps2 via ethernet. Is this possible? Is this expensive?

OR, would it be possible to somehow connect via my computer's ethernet port (obviously my pc is connected via wifi) ???
    asdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on your wireless router. some companies make additional access point hardware capable of being a "repeater" , you set them up by cloning the mac of the router and it extends the range of the network. which would also give you cat5 wired outlets you could plug into.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rather simple device called a wireless bridge. It is use to convert any ehternet port into a wireless device. Cost would be between USD $30-100. Will need a computer with a ethernet port to program it if you are using any type of security.

It is best to buy the non-gaming units rather than the gaming only units because of flexibility of using it with other devices and also because of the above mentioned secuirty issus.

Hope this helps!

GS
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for the help. i dont know much about networking, but i was pretty sure there was something that could do what i need.

i'll start looking around and see what i could find.
    asdf
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a Motorola WA840GP (no longer made) with great results.
    Quote Quote