VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am just getting started in the realm of actual video editing. I have read quite a few reviews of the different software that is available. I was wanting to get a recommendation from some users here as to which software I should use. I would like something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is fairly easy to learn to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ulead Video Studio is hard to beat for all around. Good encoder, plenty of features and settings usually found in the pro-sumer editors. It's all in one package but it's worth foir the editor alone.

Other than that I guess you would have to give a budjet, what you plan on doing? Just experimenting? Nearly every product has a trial version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You are going to need a LOT more hard drive space. 10x what you have now, at a minimum.

When you purchase your capture hardware, it will most likely come with a decent editor free.

$500 will get you one of the two or three considered the best. Ease-of-use is not a feature of high-end products.

Having used many, my advice would be to use what you get for free until you find a feature which you must have that this product does not provide. Then find a product which provides that feature, but keep the older software as it will almost certainly do something the new one does not, or do it in a way you find easier to use.

By editing, what exactly do you mean? Simple cutting? Fancy transitions, blends, and effects?

Or possibly nice menus - This is completely different software from an editor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's hard to tell what your budget is, but here is a suggestion if it is modest: If you just want to edit mpeg video, Womble Mpeg Video Wizard is good. It allows you to cut on any frame, create transitions between scenes, and costs $69.00 (US). If you want to author a DVD as well (create menus and the files that are needed to make a playable dvd), there is Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD for $99.00 (US). I haven't tried authoring with Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD, but I liked Mpeg Video Wizard as an editor. There are trial versions of both programs for download. If you don't like Womble's authoring program, TDA is a good, simple authoring program.

If your budget is very small, the freeware editor I like best is Cuttermaran, but it requires you to do more work to edit files than Womble Mpeg Video Wizard does. You need to demultiplex the source to use Cuttermaran, because it only accepts video and audio as separate files. You can cut on any frame in encoding mode, but you need control the number of frames that are re-encoded yourself. I'd still suggest TDA as an authoring program, if you want menus.

You might try looking at the tool section here for more options and reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Premiere Elements isn't hard to learn, and does quite a lot for the money. Loads of transitions, plenty of effects etc, DVD authoring with customisable menus. Version 2 is good, and sometimes turns up nice and cheap on ebay.
    Quote Quote