VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok to make a long story short i had a dell desktop that shit on me. i slap together a computer so i can at least get onthe internet and check email. i used the Dell HDD as a slave cause i still had programs and email to use. Now i got me a 2.8ghz P4 but it has a SATA HDD and i still want to use the Dell HDD as a slave. so i hook it up on the IDE ribbon cable and boot the computer. in the boot up screen it shows the HDD as a slave but it errors and reboots. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. IDE drives are designed to work two to a cable in a Master/Slave configuration. A drive is either a Master, a Slave, or a Single.

You cannot have a Slave without a Master or Vice Versa. Since you only have one drive, it must be set to standalone as oppossed to Slave. Many drives the jumper for Master and Single is the same. Single and Slave are NEVER the same thing.

What you have is a Secondary drive, or a non-Primary-OS drive, but not a Slave.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just read that i can use a SATA HDD and a IDE HDD on a computer
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And you might want to go into BIOS and select your SATA drive as first boot device if you haven't yet, along with changing the PATA drive jumper.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the 2nd HDD that i want slave is in slave mode. no jumpers for it means slave. ok here is what i get:

2nd HDD(maxtor) as slave:
    IDE ch 0 - master - none
    IDE ch 0 - slave -maxtor HDD (2nd HDD)
    IDE ch 1 - master - Pioneer dvdrw
    IDE ch 1 - slave - Aopen dvdrom drive
    IDE ch 2 - master - SATA HDD
    IDE ch 3 - master - none

BUT without hooking up 2nd HDD (maxtor):
    IDE ch 0 - master - SATA HDD
    IDE ch 0 - slave - none
    IDE ch 1 - master - Pioner DVDrw
    IDE ch 1 - slave - Aopen DVDrom drive
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll assume that the computer does boot up to the SATA boot drive when it's the only HD? But when you add the old PATA OS drive, you have the problem? Then do what Nelson37 mentions. Change the jumper to 'Master'. And best is to place it at the end of the PATA (IDE) cable.

The difference on SATA controllers is that all drives are 'Master', as there is only one drive per channel. Just a problem with terminology. You can have a SATA 'Master' and two PATA 'Masters', HD and optical, as they are all on separate channels.

I would still set your PATA hard drive to primary Master as your optical drives are probably using the other PATA channel as secondary Master and Slave.

And check your BIOS for which drive is selected as boot or you may end up trying to boot from your old OS drive as many MB BIOS's seem to want to pick a PATA drive automatically for boot if you let them have the choice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The BIOS Master/Slave designation is NOT, repeat NOT, the same as the Master/Slave designation set by the drive Jumper. Bios just means Number one or Number two. Drive jumper means number one or NUMBER TWO ON THE SAME CABLE.

An IDE HD set to Slave, with no Master on the cable, Simply will not work for an IDE drive. SATA drives have no similar setting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just so you know it can be done, I have two PATA 160GB hdd's, two DVD drives all on IDE. Then I have a 500GB SATA hdd in the same box. I did have to go into BIOS and tell the PC to look for that SATA drive before it would work.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Designate the boot drive in BIOS. I NEVER USE MASTER OR SLAVE JUMPERS ON THE HARD DRIVE. ALLWAYS USE CS, CABLE SELECT. By using CS, Windows decides what is what.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cable select may work but with only one IDE drive probably not

The ONLY absolute method is :-

1. make sure the IDE drive is connect to the top cable connector

AND

2. the jumper is set to Single Disk or Master - No Slave Present.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83

AND

the top connecter as in the closest connector to the MB or the last connector on the ribbon cable?

also this computer uses PC3200 ddr400 memory. what other memory is backward compatible with this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    last connector on the ribbon
    Quote Quote  
  13. Been doing this for years

CS (Cable select) requires that the drive be set to CS and that the IDE cable be a CS cable. All IDE cables are not CS. Most 80 wire 40 pin cables are CS, look for a hole through one of the wires, usually near the motherboard end.many newer 40 wire IDE are CS not all.
    Windows does not exactly decide what drive is what based on CS.
    if you install windows on a drive, move it to slave, add a master and set the bios to boot off of the slave, it will still boot and be the C: drive under XP.
    The BIOS does decide which is master or slave based on CS or jumpers.

CS works with one drive or two.

Western digial IDE no jumper is single, Default is CS, Master on a WD drive means slave present.

Other brands Master usually means master only or master with slave drive.

SATA drives avoid this mess with one cable, one drive.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rubberman
    Originally Posted by DB83

AND

the top connecter as in the closest connector to the MB or the last connector on the ribbon cable?

also this computer uses PC3200 ddr400 memory. what other memory is backward compatible with this?
    Generally on 80 wire IDE cables the blue end goes to the motherboard and the other end is the master position.
    Or to put it another way the two connectors closest to each other are for the drives and and the one with the longer stretch is the motherboard end.

If that is what the motherboard uses then that is what you should be using. Only DDR memory will work. Most likely DDR 266 or DDR 333 will work but slow down the memory speed.

SDRAM or DDR2 or DDR3 will not work in a motherboard designed for DDR memory.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no, im talking like pc4000 memory. i dont want to go slower
    Quote Quote  
  16. Then you want pc400 memory, what exactly is the question?

And the cable end does not matter, it will work either way, unless it is a CS cable.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i got it to work with the slave HDD. i put slave HDD jumpers as master and put it on the last connector of the cable. it still wouldnt boot so i went into the BIOS and had it boot the sata drive first and the slave drive as last. so it works that way. thanks for all the help!

also on my old computer with XP pro when i clicked the START button and the menu pops up, mine used to have 2 rolls of items. liek the first roll showed 'programs', ;documents' 'settings' etc and the 2nd roll had 'my computer''my music' 'my network places' and this new computer doesnt. where is the option to change that?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Click 'Start', then R click on any blank place on the menu for 'Properties'. In the 'Start Menu, click 'Customize>Advanced'. That should give you the selection for your menu items.

You can also set how many programs show in your menu. I use small icons for that. And if you want the sort your whole list of 'All Programs' alphabetically, R click on any program in the list and 'Sort by Name'.

Just a few 'housekeeping' hints.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Ask: ATA-HDD cable

Which is better for the ATA-HDD cable (IDE ribbon) using AWG-32 or AWG-26?
    Can everybody tell in details what the purpose and advantages of each AWG 32-28-26..?
    Because I've tried all the same - there was no significant difference.

Thanks in advance.
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since IDE (PATA) cables are usually less than 36 inches (90 CM), it wouldn't matter much what the wire gage was. I have quite a few 32 gage PATA cables, but most are 18 inch (45 CM). The longer 36 inch cables may be a larger gage. All the long ones I have are round type, so no gage labels.

The PATA specification states a maximum of 18 inches (45 CM), but the 36 inch ones work fine. I've used quite a few.

SATA cables are about the same, 36 inches or less. The specification for them is about 34 inches (100 CM) max. I have used longer ones with no noticeable problems, but it's not recommended.

eSATA can use cables up to 6.5 feet (2 M) as they use different specifications and connectors.

Very long data cables (48 inches (120 CM)) or more, might be more subject to crosstalk or noise interference because of their length, but that wouldn't have much to do with the wire gage most times.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks redwudz, So..what the advantages of cable AWG-32 and AWG-28 for the same length 20"?
    Actually, I mean like written on both cables i.e. AWG-32: 105° C 150V and AWG-28: 105° C 300V.
    What's the purpose of all really are... Which is better to be use? Is it accessing data of AWG-28 will be faster?
    Last edited by Leo99; 9th Mar 2011 at 02:55.
    Leo99
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No difference in data speed. The AWG-32 cable is just smaller diameter wires and probably a bit more flexible than a AWG-28. My guess is the AWG-28 also has a bit more insulation as it's rated for a higher voltage. But the voltage in a PATA cable is probably less than 12VDC. They both have the same temperature rating, so probably have the same type of plastic insulation. 'AWG' stands for American Wire Gauge. (I misspelled 'gauge' before as my spell checker doesn't seem to have that word.)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Well, good answers. Hmm.. all the same speed, this most important thing for me.
    Greatly thanks, redwudz
    Leo99
    Quote Quote