VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I followed the steps to create a slow motion clip, but can't Append it back into Virtualdub.

Here's the original post by another member I followed:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Topic: Want to create slow motion effect...help with this?

Q:
    Basically what I want to do is, in a short video, play each frame twice, yet keep the same frame rate so that the video looks like it is in slow motion. I'd like to do this in VirtualDub, so if anybody has any help, or can tell me what filters to use, that would be great.

A:
    In the top of the Frame Rate dialog select the "Change to" option and set the frame rate to half the original.

In the middle section select "Convert to fps" and set the original frame rate.

You're audio will be out of sync of course.

If you just want a file that plays at half speed on the computer you can use a program like AVIFrate to change the frame rate (it's just a value in the header of the AVI file) without reencoding."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The slow motion clip turned out great, just what I wanted, but using my usual method of opening a clip and then
    choosing Append AVI Segment, I received an error about the framerates not matching. See below what I did
    and then the error I got. How to fix, did I do something wrong, need to use another step, or is it just not possible rejoin into my collection of joined clips? (I've joined 50 clips using this method so far.)

Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.

Plato
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PS: The 29.970 is that. There's not a 1 there, it's just the cursor flash when I print screened it.

Plato
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way that I've been able to append like clips that Virtualdub refuses to join is to save the audio from each clip as a wave file and join the wave files with an audio editor.

Change the frame rate to 29.970 (it should say 29.970 anyway but you still need to change it so each clip is identical) and direct stream copy the video without audio.

Append the two files without audio and add your wave file. Direct stream the video, compress the audio and save as finished file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. According to the error message, the clips are different. Based on your description, your source video is not 29.970 fps, but 29.97003. In order for your modified clip to append it must also be 29.97003. As for why this always worked before, evidently all of the other clips you have done this with were 29.97000 to start with.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for trying to help. So far, nothing tried has worked. I guess it's easier to undo, than redo for a slow motion clip.

What I meant by this always worked before, was joining clips by the append avi segment, but always with the same framerate, never tried to make a slow motion clip and then try to join it up with the rest. I can do without the slow motion. It would have been nice to have a couple of slow motion (very) short clips for emphasis, but not necessary.

Plato
    Quote Quote  
  6. DarrellS already gave you the answer. Make them both the same framerate. I would do it a bit differently by setting them both to 30fps, direct stream them both, join them, and then change back to 29.97fps. That will work, unless there are some other differences between the files (audio bitrates, for example, resolutions, codec used, or other things).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Manono, check out the new experimental version of Virtualdub 1.7.X test3. It will now handle VBR MP3. It still gives the error but it handles the files with no problem at all.

fccHandler (and a couple other guys) have made some plugins to allow opening of MPEG-2, WMV, QT and FLV files. A few more are soon to follow. Hopefully an H264 plugin.

I always seemed to get audio errors or still get framerate errors by doing it the other way which is why I use the files with no audio. I find it easier just to join with Avidemux. Haven't tried to join a slow mo clip with a normal clip though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hehe, good, no more differences of opinion.

Yeah, the audio can be a big stumbling block to joining clips encoded separately, and if worse comes to worst WishMaker might have to remove the audio from both clips, change the framerates, rejoin, and then add back the audio. It's always easier if both are made at the same time with similar settings for everything. The fact that one is slo-mo shouldn't really affect anything, as long as it's playing at the same framerate as the other one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After reading additional posts this morning, I went back and tried the different methods offered. I guess I'm just not doing it correctly.

I've already joined 50 clips, that are ripped from the same DVD in the exact same way. Since I was trying something different, (making one of those 50 clips a slow motion clip) I was making sure it would work by joining only two clips before I added the modified, slow motion clip into the mix. Before I modified the clip to slow motion, it worked fine when joined to the other 50 clips. It's only after I modified it and tried to experimentally join it with another clip from the 50 clip collection, that it didn't work. (Also tried the modified slow motion clip with five different clips.) When I look at the clip in the details list of the original and modified ones in windows explorer, they aren't the same. Original 30,574 the modified 30,575. (That might have been the one I tried using the 30 fps method.) It's just a 1 second clip made into 2 seconds when slow motioned. You know, a turned head with a raised eyebrow sort of clip.

Someone else may get theirs to work, but I haven't been able too. If I REALLY wanted to make the ONE, modified slow motion clip work with the other FIFTY clips, then I suppose I could go back and change all 50 clip's framerates. I'm not willing to do that, just to make one clip work. Maybe on another project, but not until I finish this one. Thank you for all your help.

Plato
    Quote Quote