VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 computers on 2 separate floors of my home. I have never needed to connect them before but I just recently received an Ipod Touch with wifi capablities and want to wi fi my home, so I can connect the Touch online and the other computer as well. I have XP on both computers and DSL on my main one, hooked up with an usb modem. Any suggestions on what is the simpliest to set up and use? I'm a complete novice at these things so the easier thw better. Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does your modem also have a Ethernet out connector? If so, you just need a simple wireless router and a wireless card or two for your other computer(s), unless you have hard wiring already. (Cat 5 cables) Either way, the router can give you a hardware firewall and the WiFi ability. If your modem just has a USB out, it's a bit harder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The modem I'm using has an ethernet port on the back. The main computer also has an ethernet port but the older one on the 2nd floor doesn't. Will this matter? I will probably use an usb adapter on it to connect. Does anyone have any brand suggestions? Something better to use or easier, so on. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should be able to use a USB wireless adapter on the other computer.
    As far as brands, I've had good luck with Netgear, Linksys, and D-Link. I would recommend that you use the same brand for all of the devices. The wireless router will connect to the ethernet port of the modem. The main computer will connect via cable to one of the ports of the router. The other computer and Ipod will connect via wireless. You should be able to find a router/USB adapter combination at a decent price.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a Wireless Router with a 4 port switch and one Wireless adapter, either USB or internal PCI. The internal PCI ones tend to be little more stable in my opinion, but involve more to install. You will generally see two types: Wireless G and Wireless N. N is newer, faster and costs lots more than G...that's your decision.

You will need one additional CAT5 cable with RJ45 connectors to connect from one of the router's switch ports to the computer that is already networked. The router connects to your modem via it's WAN port, using your existing CAT5 cable. Your second computer will connect via wireless to the router, as will the Touch.

D-Link and Linksys are both reputable brands. There are others available as well, your local computer store should be able to help you.

VH
    Quote Quote  
  6. USb and networking do not really mix, you would be far better off getting a cheap network card for your second computer and having a wired network. Much more secure, much easier to configure & much faster. Also the kit required is much cheaper. Adsl modem router to isp, and two computers connected to that.. I went from Usb modem to adsl modem router and feel it is far better, even on a single computer
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    While I sort of agree about USB connected wireless routers, the OP seems to have a Ethernet connection on his modem. With that you have many economical wireless routers available. It's simple enough to install a wireless G PCI card on your second computer, then set up encryption on your router for the wireless connections. Without some sort of encryption all your neighbors can log onto your connection, if they have a mind to. You can use a wired connection from your new router to your Ethernet wired computer.

If your router is downstairs and your second computer with the wireless card upstairs, just orient the router antenna for vertical use if you need more signal. They work fine through most buildings, up to 300 feet, depending on your building construction most times. Your PC should have software included with the wireless card to show your signal strength.

A home network can be a bit of a pain for initial setup, but you should only have to do it once. And you will like being able to exchange files between any of the devices. If you share your hard drives, then they show up on both computers just like a local drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. USB wireless adapters work fine. The only one I ever had trouble with was fixed by updating the drivers. It's been running solid ever since.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "you would be far better off getting a cheap network card for your second computer and having a wired network. Much more secure, much easier to configure & much faster. Also the kit required is much cheaper."

Always the best solution...but not always logical. Drilling holes in the floor and walls to accomodate Cat 5/6 cable can cause problems with some landlords and occasionally plumbing and electrical - leading to 911 and insurance company calls. Loose lay cable is for the lazy...and some people just can't tell Chuck from his key.

USB wireless networking works fine. Most PCI adapters have adjustable antenas making them just a bit more stable - and several USB WiFi adapters I have worked with have had to be positioned in a front USB port to work properly. USB does not require opening the case or installing components.

VH
    Quote Quote  
  10. USB wireless adapter easier to install, USB cable serves as an extension for the antenna. This may not be needed, but may be vital and is a nice option to have. No opening the case, good for a newbie.

Gadgetguy named the three brands, I absolutely agree. Solid, reliable, good support, inexpensive. Check your local stores for a package on sale. G should work fine for you.

Routers - Many have a USB WAN port, but if the modem has RJ45, use it.

Setup is cake. Main trick is the address change. The modem will likely be 192.168.1.1, making the Router 192.168.1.2. Only the last number changes, the first three are the general neighborhood. This is the WAN side. On the LAN or PC side, the address will change to something like 192.168.0.1 for the router, with 192.168.0.2 for the PC. A very simple security trick is to make the LAN side something extremely different, like 10.10.0.1.

I used to specify DNS on the PC, lately Sprint modems seem to be working better pointing DNS to the modem itself.
    This may be unique to my area as Embarq took over, and they can't figure out how to run E-Mail servers yet.
    God knows what else they are screwing up, service has been screwy since they took over.

Set the security as mentioned, also do not forget to change the Admin AND the User passwords, write them down and tape to the bottom of the router. Unless you have teenagers, in which case hide it somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do any of the wireless adapters recommended above work with Vista 64?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I feel your pain, and good luck to you. You will have to research specific models, and should be able to find at least 2 or 3 which are supposed to work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help, I got a Linksys wrt54gs router and usb adapter. After some trial and error I got it to set up. Now the Easylink advsor that came with the router shows my 2 computers and Ipod touch on the network but I can't get online with the second computer. I have dsl service with AOL ( I know not a great choice, it's not mine) and hope someone could help with getting that working. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Go on-line (from the main computer) and get the latest driver for the USB adapter. That sounds like the same problem that I spoke about before that the updated driver fixed. And if I recall correctly, that was the same Linksys package.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote