VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hey everyone I know this isn't a gaming forum but MAYBE someone can help me. I've just recently been upgrading my computer so far I have bought a new mobo (ASUS P5KC) Ram (OCZ 2GB) HDD (500GB SATA Western Digital) video(BFG Geforce 8800). But I'm still using a crappy Pentium D 930(3.0Ghz) going to be getting a Core 2 Duo E6850 this Thursday. Anyways I had XP installed and ALL my games worked fine no lag what so ever but when i installed vista suddenly ALL my games started to lag (Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 Deathmatch WoW HL2 Ep1 & 2 plus many more). By lag I don't mean ping lag i mean screen lag VERY bad screen lag it's almost like watching a slide show you know....frame by frame. Its driving me insane has anyone else had this problem if so how did you fix it or is it even fixable. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If XP is working well for you, then Vista adds nothing at all at this stage. It has higher overheads, and no 'killer app' to make it a must have upgrade. And for whatever reason, even though they had more than enough lead time to address it, video driver writers were one of the last parties to come on board, and they still have not properly optimised most drivers for Vista. Your problems should not be as bad you seem to be experiencing, but you also have not given any reason at all that justifies going to Vista. Take this as a lesson. Put the Vista box on the shelf, wipe your HDD and re-install XP. Hang on to Vista until you have some DX10 games that are worth playing, then put it back on the machine - as a dual boot. By then the drivers should be up to scratch.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The major culprit is Vista. With all of the latest updates and patches, it has gotten a little better and should be better yet after the SP1 release.

Aside from that, the next biggest issue seems to be video drivers.

Honestly, there isn't much you can do, at least not that I've come across and I've been helping a friend here at work with his new Vista experience. He was having game playability issues, networking and file transfers were slow (even after multiple patches and tweaks), and just general slowness within the OS. He has an Intel 3.4ghz dual core cpu and an nvidia 8600 video card. He finally switched back to XP after fighting Vista for over 2 months. The difference is night and day. Everything is much faster and he can now play games again at a higher resolution with higher fps.

Vista just needs major hardware to run well.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. One reason this happens is because the games aren't Vista-savvy. In XP, you can throw as many frames at the graphics card as you like and it will attempt to display them even if the rate is much higher than the refresh rate on your display.

In Vista, everything is sync'd to the refresh rate of the display. Throw too much at the graphics card and it will just ignore them and only an occasional frame will get displayed at the right time. Benchmarks at places like Tom's Hardware show this very clearly - though the people running them don't have a clue as to why.

Not so much a Vista problem as a difference between two major OS versions. The reason it is done this way in Vista is to reduce the tearing that can occur when playing video.

There's a workaround I read about but not sure where.

FWIW, I have a Pentium D 2.8GHz and I'm very happy with it - I don't think it's crappy! I make heavy use of XP and Vista on the same system - I definitely prefer XP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Once you get your core duo the games will go back up to speed,when i had an athlon64 3400 and installed vista64 on it the games went to a crawl at times esp. world of warcraft.After i got my new system the games play like normal.

Vista requires dual core computers just as winxp required 1ghz and up.You just need the added power.Also games are not set to vertical sync in vista automatically,you can turn it on or off.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all for the replies it seems to be a bit better but it's still laggy. Hopefully when I get the core 2 duo my games will come back up to speed but I feel it will never be as good as XP is. I might do a dual boot with vista and XP but I'm still unsure
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    One reason this happens is because the games aren't Vista-savvy. In XP, you can throw as many frames at the graphics card as you like and it will attempt to display them even if the rate is much higher than the refresh rate on your display.

In Vista, everything is sync'd to the refresh rate of the display. Throw too much at the graphics card and it will just ignore them and only an occasional frame will get displayed at the right time. Benchmarks at places like Tom's Hardware show this very clearly - though the people running them don't have a clue as to why.

Not so much a Vista problem as a difference between two major OS versions. The reason it is done this way in Vista is to reduce the tearing that can occur when playing video.

There's a workaround I read about but not sure where.

FWIW, I have a Pentium D 2.8GHz and I'm very happy with it - I don't think it's crappy! I make heavy use of XP and Vista on the same system - I definitely prefer XP.
    lol it's not that crappy but when comparing it against the Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz it just sucks and not to mention the Pentium D 3.0Ghz offers no performance boost compared to a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz aside from it being dual core the FSB is still the same
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stay the hell away from vista people.

<--- Still rocking WinXP even with the new laptop
    Quote Quote  
  9. Edit
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, desktops are never the appropriate device
    to play videogames. That's what the game consoles
    and the arcades are for.

=====================
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I brought a laptop that had Vista, couldn't use software that I already had, so got it off and replace with XP. Vista to Buggy, a year from now it'll probably be good. A lot of fixes needed.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Edit
    Quote Quote  
  13. Most of the problems users experience with Vista CANNOT be fixed by the end user. Upgrades to software and drivers are required. Many of these do not yet exist.

This thing is Millenium all over again, except that we all knew Me was a half-step temporary band-aid. Blista, Wishta, whatever, was touted as the next great thing.

It offers nothing, is not compatible, too many apps do not work, sucks way too many system resources, and is too expensive.

Staying with XP is not a "step backwards". It is sticking with what works as oppossed to blindly stepping off a cliff, and paying cash for the experience, and trusting to hope during free fall that the air bag will be there at the bottom, with enough cushion to break your fall. Once you see the first guy crash and burn, why the hell would you continue to follow the lemmings and jump off?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And most of us have been through this before (upgrading to Win 95, moving from Win 98 to XP), everyone that begins using a new OS before SP1 if basically testing and bug hunting. There will be some that will cope with the issues and/or have a fairly smooth ride. But for the rest of us it is a total pain in the ass. Upgrading your pc to get more power and speed is common (especailly for us gamers), having to upgrade your pc to get your new OS to perform equivalent to your old OS is just plain studid.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can only speak from my own perspective, as someone who's been playing the personal computer game for over 27 years (not bragging, just stating a fact). I'm as computer-savvy as anyone, and possibly a great deal more, and I'm staying the hell away from Vista. I'm tired of constantly being a victim of the Microsoft shell game, for one thing, where they establish ways of doing things, get you used to them, and then turn around and change all of the rules. I stick with Windows because, let's face it, it's still the only practical game in Wintel-ville (Linux not withstanding), but I'm sick to death of changing how I do things and what I do things on just because Microsoft thinks we should all blindly follow them off the cliff. I just want to get my work done, and Vista offers nothing that'll improve that situation (but quite a lot that'll make it worse). If "Windows 7" shows that Microsoft has listened to the howls of anger and frustration coming from its customers, then I'll certainly take a look, but for now, Vista is on the same level for me as Windows ME: persona non grata.

My $0.02, for what it's worth...
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Edit
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I second the words from MJPollard (probably I am
    even older than he ). Unfortunately many people
    have been taught to believe that "efficient coding" is a synonym for
    punched cards or ferrite-core memory.

=================

P.S.:

"No evil shall escape my sight"
    I doubt that.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Deleted
    Quote Quote  
  20. For the record, I have been using Vista since Nov 2006 (primarily as a software development box). It gets heavy use. I have experienced only one BSOD - due to a soundcard that didn't even have XP drivers. Yanked it out....

If you are getting frequent BSODs then it is because your hardware is not adequate - mainly due to badly written drivers (e.g., hastily cobbled together beta drivers). Caveat Emptor.

Since I develop software, the OS takes quite some abuse because the alpha code crashes etc. The OS has never hung on me nor created instability due to my abusive treatment.

The primary reason I urge people to think very carefully about Vista over XP is the new audio pipeline that causes problems with *legacy* applications.

The only time I have not been able to install legacy software is when it states clearly that it is incompatible. That's not a fault of Vista but an inevitable consequence of taking Windows 5.x software (or even 9x) and running it on Windows 6.x. The vast majority of XP apps work just fine. Those that don't often have programming issues that tie them explicitly to a given OS version. That's the vendor's fault, not Microsoft's.

And to equate Vista to Me is just absurd.

I like Vista. I prefer XP. I've been using XP for a l-o-n-g time so I can get around it quickly.

Both beat the Commodore PET 2000 I learnt BASIC on in 1978!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    You cannot stop change my friend. :P
    Oh, I agree, but I do expect change to be beneficial. To my mind, Vista does not meet that definition.

I have been goofing with computers since the TRS-80 ( Trash 80 for the people that don't knpw).
    Which is also the computer line on which I cut my teeth. Hung out at my local Radio Shack practically every day during summer breaks from junior high and high school (something that I highly doubt you could get away with today). Back then, they didn't mind, because they didn't know how to market the bloody things, so they figured that customers seeing some geeky kid banging away at it was better than nothing at all.

I am not bragging either, but I am offering help for people instead of telling people to go backwards.
    Going backwards isn't a bad thing. If you're about to drive off a cliff, for example, going backwards is a very good thing.

You do not ask a scientist how to fix your car. You talk to a mechanic. Since you do not use Vista, you have no objectivity. All your are doing is spreading FUD.
    On the contrary, my friend. I do use it, at work -- I have to, being a software developer -- and I've encountered many of the headaches that I've read about from other users time and time again. (Sorry, I should've made it clear in my previous post that I was referring to my own personal use; work requirements are always a different matter, especially if you want to keep getting a paycheck.) I know from experience that the bulk of these complaints are more than just the usual Microsoft-bashing. I can certainly get around such problems, and I have done so, but I shouldn't have to do so, at least not to this degree. And neither should anyone else, especially in an era where computers are a more important, pervasive, and essential part of people's lives than ever before. That is why, for my own personal use, I'm avoiding Vista entirely: I don't need the hassle.

Ask anyone, and I'll bet that most of the people you ask will tell you that they Just Want It To Work. Joe Average is being sold a bill of goods by Microsoft, who is following the standard plan out of the playbook: making the new kid seem like the Second Coming, and their current offering (which was similarly billed as God's Gift not too long ago) as a three-headed bastard stepchild from Venus. They'll expect the New Kid to live up to the hype, but Vista, by its very nature, will (more often than not) put up so many roadblocks to that goal that anger and frustration are only natural... even moreso when they're told that they can't reach this Nirvana with their current setups (even though the Bastard Stepchild did) and have to spend more of their hard-earned cash to do so.

That's the reality of Vista. You and others may call it "spreading FUD" if you wish, but the funny thing is, it's not FUD when it's true.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Edit
    Quote Quote  
  23. All I do is get customer's computers prepared to complete the job that the customer wishes to do.

I have yet to encounter ONE SINGLE INSTANCE where Vista has added a benefit to the user.

I have encountered at least 4 absolute deal-breakers and a large number of burdens, annoyances, and hardware which does not work. Only one customer who likes it, with well over a dozen who hate it, several who have had me replace it with XP at their request. And the guy who likes it is 92 and still doesn't know which OS he is using, he likes the pretty colors. Not one single business user who wants or needs Vista. For most, they Can't use it as one or more Must-Have apps do not yet work correctly. Running in Compatibility Mode but unable to print to a USB printer does not count, particularly for the app which prints paychecks.

MS has lost sight of what an OS is, they are putting an ostrich-leather handle on a screwdriver.

The comparison to ME is quite apt, not in a technical sense but market penetration and customer satisfaction, absolutely. I do not recall any other MS app which faced this level of rejection, or this level of lack of functionality.
    The only other one which would compare other than ME would be DOS 4.00 (IBM) and MS 4.01 to a somewhat lesser extent. NT doesn't IMO count as it was never really intended for general use, anyway.

Yes, there is always a curve, but it must be made gradual and there should be some sort of bonus for making the climb.

Add in that performance drops, pricing exceeds that of most office productivity apps, $400 for the Operating System!!! Hey Bill, the OS is just what the user fires up to get to the Real App, are you out of your mind?

And yes, the Consumer can stop this particular change. The Users stopped NT, they stopped ME, every vendor I talk to indicates Vista is in no way the sure thing for the future. Consumers are voting with their wallets, and those votes are being carefully counted. Linux has a real opportunity here, XP is going to live on for a long, long time.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Wow the slang is different
    so they figured that customers seeing some geeky kid banging away at it was better than nothing at all.
    that would have created quite a stir ! input and output ..waayyyhayyyyy!
    Trs-80 was only for the rich kids, us country rednecks had to make do with the video=genie (first clone computer?) Punch cards, ferrite memory and paper tape all figured in my past as well.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MJPollard

Ask anyone, and I'll bet that most of the people you ask will tell you that they Just Want It To Work.
    If you could market a low cost, low perfomance computer with a word processor, browser, email, video player and simple image editor all wrapped up in a nice easy interface you could make a mint. Your Average computer user doesn't need the power to play Doom 3 nor do they need a majority of all the other applications, settings and other things that come along with a modern OS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vista is XP with a bunch of eyecandy bullshit added.

That's how the pre-SP1 XP was too. Win2000 with eye-candy. SP1 and then SP2 made it a worthwhile upgrade. Maybe that will happen with Vista, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Most of the OS advancements planned for Vista (Longhorn) ended up being dumped.

I won't be leaving XP for many years, as I've got the software I need for the foreseeable future (photo and video, mostly). I'm hoping Windows 2007 Server is an actual upgrade over 2003, not just something new for the sake of new.

I don't even understand why people buy a new OS when the current one works fine. Was that $500 really burning a hole in your pocket? Stick it in an IRA, at least it'll be worth something in 10/20/30/etc years.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman
    Originally Posted by MJPollard

Ask anyone, and I'll bet that most of the people you ask will tell you that they Just Want It To Work.
    If you could market a low cost, low perfomance computer with a word processor, browser, email, video player and simple image editor all wrapped up in a nice easy interface you could make a mint. Your Average computer user doesn't need the power to play Doom 3 nor do they need a majority of all the other applications, settings and other things that come along with a modern OS
    Sounds like Linux to me LOL

I have to tell you though ... been playing around with lot's of different versions of Linux ... I've had issues with certain websites when using FireFox especially websites with videos embedded or shockwave etc.

It's a real drag ... especially since FireFox under WinXP Pro has no such issues. Go figure.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    as I've got the software I need for the foreseeable future
    That's another thing that I get a good laugh at, I go to my aunt's house and she proudly shows me she now has the latest Photoshop installed. She doesn't need any version of Photoshop let alone the latest. Irfanview or <gasp> the image utilities in Windows are more than sufficient for what she does, crop, rotate etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Sounds like Linux to me LOL
    Without all the issues.... guess all OS's have issues. I've only tried a live CD version called knoppix, I couldn't adjust the frquency on the monitory so I had to turn it off before my eyes blew out of my skull.

It's a real drag ... especially since FireFox under WinXP Pro has no such issues. Go figure.
    You most likely need a plug-in for the player you are using. Could also be the HTML code. Embedded video or flash has its own issues even between browsers on windows .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LinuxMint 3.1 codename "Celena" seems to be the best version of Linux I have found when it comes to out-of-the-box functionality in regards to multimedia support. It even had no issues with this one website that has yet to work properly with other flavors of Linux that I have tried ... yet LinuxMint has no trouble with that particular website. Weird!

I also recently tried openSUSE 10.3 and I really liked it ... a lot ... but I did have some website weirdness with a few websites.

You might want to try Ubuntu Studio 7.10 as that is a version of Linux based on Ubuntu 7.10 codename "Gutsy Gibbon" but unlike the regular flavor of Ubuntu the Studio version adds multimedia support along with an emphasis on Audio/Video applications. I haven't tried it myself yet though ...

http://distrowatch.com/

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    LinuxMint 3.1 is based on Ubuntu 7.04 but the next release of LinuxMint will be based on Ubuntu 7.10
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote