VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all, I could use some help.

I've got a Cannon XHA1 HDV camera and I can't for the life of me capture footage from it. I usually edit with Sony Vegas 7.0, which in this case recognizes the camera, but says it can't connect and suggests that I make sure it is turned on and not being used by another program. Well, it's definitely on and if it's being used by another program I certainly don't know what.

This isn't actually my camera, it belongs to a friend, so I'm not entirely familiar with it. Also, I'm on the oh-so-adventures Windows Vista Home Premium, if that makes a difference. Am I missing something?

Somehow I finally (in the middle of writing this post) got Windows Movie Maker to capture, but am still frustrated that Vegas won't work. Any ideas?

Ben
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thatbenguy
    Hey all, I could use some help.

I've got a Cannon XHA1 HDV camera and I can't for the life of me capture footage from it. I usually edit with Sony Vegas 7.0, which in this case recognizes the camera, but says it can't connect and suggests that I make sure it is turned on and not being used by another program. Well, it's definitely on and if it's being used by another program I certainly don't know what.

This isn't actually my camera, it belongs to a friend, so I'm not entirely familiar with it. Also, I'm on the oh-so-adventures Windows Vista Home Premium, if that makes a difference. Am I missing something?

Somehow I finally (in the middle of writing this post) got Windows Movie Maker to capture, but am still frustrated that Vegas won't work. Any ideas?

Ben
    #1 Are you connected with IEEE-1394 firewire?

#2 It is possible to export as DV or HDV depending on settings at the camcorder. You will need to read the manual to get the settings correct. You probably intend HDV.

Manual
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTab...&modelid=14061

#3 Vista Home Premium can capture HDV but "keeping it pure HDV" may prove difficult. Use Vegas to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our HDV forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I'm using footage from mixed cameras (one HD and one not) so I'm really just trying to capture standard definition.

Ben
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it working now, guys. Thanks for your tips. Honestly in the end I'm not entirely sure what I did. Sometimes with Vista you just have to unplug devices a few times before they work right? I dunno. It certainly is frustrating.

Ben
    Quote Quote