VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some movies seem to not work well with subtitles no matter how well you try and I know I can't move the subtitles down below the movie, like I seen with a few so they are always on the same background color. I want like a black background color to show on the white subtitles whenever they appear so the glare from a window or a light in the movie don't make parts of the white subtitles not viewable. I have already tried different colors but it doesn't help and larger font. This is exactly what I want please.

Sig. I really wish Netflix gave you a option of what type of subtitles you want on your dvds. Colors, background color option, and size. Its a pain having to fix the subtitles everytime with netflix dvds if they are difficult to view because of all the background color during most of the movie make them very difficult to read. This is the exact same problem I am having during a lot a scenes. http://board.softpedia.com/lofiversion/index.php/t8724-150.html Read the 2nd to last post. I can't do that solution though because I am trying do it with the subtitles and not through a dvd player but it would be nice if it was universal for all dvd players. Well I was able to get my black background just like I weanted with white text. The problem is Subtitle Workshop is the only place I see it working. It works fine with in Subtitle Workshop but once I save the files as a ssa the black background doesn't show up. Only the white text with no black background color. Strange. It was so easy to do too with Subtitle Workshop. I been using SubResync mainly but it has some really strange issues like for example when I choose red for a text subtitle color it gives me blue and when I choose blue it gives me red. The only thing I can't get SubResync to do is give me a black background color behind the white subtitle text. I tried everything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just figured out the problem and feel so stupid. I can't have a background with .ssa or even .ass subtitles only .sup and vob subtitles. This sucks. Thankfully I came up with a fix that will work well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Problem fixed and now have the subtitles I want with black background on the white text subtitles! Looks so much better and a lot easier to read during bright scenes! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Glad to see it so high and people scratching their heads
    Quote Quote  
  5. You figured it out...? But you don't say how!?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by max2
    I really wish Netflix gave you a option of what type of subtitles you want on your dvds. Colors, background color option, and size.
    You think that Netflix does anything to your DVDs? They are just a rental outfit... They have nothing to do with the production of a DVD. You need to direct your complaint to Hollywood.

I believe that your problem is that you expected your .ssa files to have the subtitle format that you wanted. The program that originated the .ssa format was SubStation Alpha. This program is just a glorified text editor (don't get me wrong - I love SSA and it is still my preferred program for creating/editing/formating subtitles). What you needed to do was to continue to the next step and to import your .ssa into a SUBTITLE CREATING program. What I use for this step is MaestroSBT (MSBT) for creating the subtitle bitmaps for final importing into DVDMaestro. MSBT allows you to add the background, add any text outlines and to change the text color to your heart's content.

The last part of your problem is that there are only four basic subtitle colors that any standard color order (if there even is one) is not rigidly enforced. These colors are the primary RED, BLUE, WHITE and BLACK colors. You can, however, map any color that you want to these four primaries. Since the order that you mapped your colors may not correspond to the order that your DVD authoring program orders their colors, you get miss mapped colors (ie, white where black should be, yellow where you want green, etc). To fix this, your subtitler should have output a color pallet map that you can import into your authoring program. IIRC, in MSBT the pallet has a .spf extension.

Once this mapping is correct, you will finally have what you want displayed.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just found a great solution for block backgrounds in .ass, through Aegisub:

http://malakith.net/aegisub/index.php?topic=1279.0

added keywords: subtitles bar transparent opaque solid image rectangle transparency alpha ssa ...
    Quote Quote