VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Kudos! The path described in this post worked well for me on Jun 2008!

All I wanted to do was join-up or trim DVDs of home movies. I had used
    DVD Decrypter to pull them in, but no editor can touch them. I lamented
    the $100 cost and many many nights trying to figure out Easy Creator 8
    years ago; And their help website was like being stuck in voice-mail hell.
    I'm no newbie: A senior software engineer, but VOB's bring me to tears.

This is June 2008. I finally braved to run the Adobe Premiere Elements 4
    that I had my wife buy me for Christmas. It could not open DVD's either.
    But having that name in my search terms found me your successful recipe.

Notes: The Dark Avatar site was gone or down, and I got the HeadAC3he
    without support DLLS, then found them around, not all good, but finally,
    the DOOM9 website had them all in one coherent package, and it worked.

You may need to download freeware UNRAR to open some .RAR archives.

I had copied a 8MM VHS to DVD using a Sansui VCR->DVD deck, with the
    mono sound split to both L+R inputs. So the "Center" to "Center" choice in
    the recipe was not applicable; I used the Left/Right to Left/Right defaults ok,
    and then I did nothing special about audio mapping in PE4. But it was A-OK.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hey guys,

I think this guide is what I want, but I wanted to ask your opinion to be sure. I have a VHS tape of some goofy movies my friends and I made about 16 years ago that I took to a video place to be put on DVD. Now that it has been converted to DVD, I want to edit the movies by trimming them, rearrange some scenes, and add sound effects and music to the soundtrack. Is this the guide I want to be able to edit the files of the DVD, or is there a better way for me to do this? I'm using Sony Vegas 6 if that matters.

I've been searching this site for hours to find a way to get this stuff editable and this guide seems like the ticket. I don't want to lose any quality, is that possible too?

Thank you for your advice,
    Geo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, you WILL lose some quality. It's unavoidable (once converted back to DVD, it will become second gen MPEG-2).

This will be the best way to maintain as much quality as possible though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your reply, I didn't want to try this method if there were a better way. I appreciate it.

Geo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guiboche
    The way you are requesting to get video into premiere is COMPLETELY different then what I have written in this guide.

If you follow this guide step-by-step, you should have no problem getting the video into premiere.

How to get the footage into DV format will not be covered here. There are other guides for that method. This guide is the frameserve method.
    At the beginning of your guide, you mentioned that you need to make a VOB from the DVD. That's what I need to know how to do. The guide search on here does NOT list any guides to creating a VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    chrissakes just use VideoReDo lol
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm having a little trouble as well and I think the problem may be not having a prepared VOB file. I got my DVD of my home videos ripped to my harddrive, but when I explore the files, it reads as ".VOB" with the file type as "VOB File". In the first picture of this guide your file type reads as ".vob" and the file type is "MPEG File". How do I get my VOBs from the DVD into this proper state so I can use this guide? Thank you in advance.

I hope what I typed makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just found this guide a few days ago and I have been following it. I am stuck when using virtualdub I get the same "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'vifp' (unknown)
    VirtualDub requires a Video For Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow Codecs, such as the ones used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable" message. I've tried double clicking the vifpset.bat but then I get

I also tried to just copy and paste the files into system32 and I still get the same error. Lastly, in the begriming I was able to create a D2V file and a AC3 file by setting Audio to Demux all tracks in output method and not Demux tracks as was suggested, just letting you know what I've done so far. TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you're using Vista, you probably need to run the .bat with admin privileges. Right-click on the .bat file and pick "Run as administrator". You'll need to have the admin password for your system handy.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did it but I'm still getting the same error.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have problems at the very beginning. After I save the project in DGMPGDec. I only have the D2V file and I don't have the AC3 file so later i won't have sound on the video.

How do I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by mcjosh
    How do I fix this?
    If you're creating a D2V file from a VOB file, you're supposed to have audio. In Audio->Output Method of DGIndex, did you select Demux All Tracks?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I selected Demux Tracks as it is shown in the guide and it didn't work. But I've got it sorted now: demuxed all tracks in VOB Edit 0.6 and it worked that way. I followed this guide step by step after that and everything worked fine

Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by mcjosh
    I selected Demux Tracks as it is shown in the guide and it didn't work.
    The syntax has changed since that guide was written. The guide is wrong. I said Demux All Tracks (when using a newer DGIndex) and you should get audio. If you use Demux Tracks, you now also have to specifically choose a track (or tracks) to demux or else no audio.
    Quote Quote