VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a customer who bought himself a new Dell with Vista Home Premium on it. He was all set to go for broadband until he discovered there is nothing but satellite available in his area. So now he is going dial up for the time being. At least he was until I looked and his PC and found no modem in it. I have a modem out of a Dell Optiplex GX260. It's a Conexant (GVC branded) F1156I/R2F. I can find no Vista drivers for it. Does anyone know how to obtain them or make the XP drivers work for it under Vista? I can order him one fairly cheap but if at all possible he wants to be online this weekend. He's been dealing with the broadband runaround for over a month now as it is. Any input is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you might try is R clicking on the exe for the XP modem driver, then go to 'Properties' and select XP SP2 compatibility mode. The problem with Conexant chipsets and some other generic type modems is that they may use slightly different driver software for each brand, model and version. You probably aldready know Conexant doesn't make the modems, just the chipsets.

Possibly if the driver has a exe to install it, it may work. But just the .inf file likely won't. At least Vista will probably not be able to use that. Half the time XP won't either. I try to avoid .inf files and the Windows driver dialog for installing drivers, especially modems.

And you should be able to find at least links to XP drivers at: http://www.conexant.com/support/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I finally just ordered one and told him he'll have to wait one more week. If it was for me I'd try it with the one I have but for a customer I hate to half ass things. He's not happy about it but it's Dell his irritation is directed at, not me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the best move. I use Conexant and NetoDragon chipset modems fairly often. Both come with a disc that has about a dozen drivers on it. And when I order another modem with the same chipset, it will have a different disc with different drivers. I often have to try a couple of discs to find one with a driver that works for that particular modem. I suppose the firmware is slightly different.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not the solution to your problem, but I used USB USRobotics modems under Vista x64 successfully.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I ordered him a Zonet card for $5. Popped it in and Vista loaded it's own drivers for the card. Only problem he had after that was getting Verizon Dial-up. I talked to 2 different women, both of them Indian and barely understandable and then I got hung up on. So in ten minutes I set him up with Ntelos Dial-up via an English speaking American only 15 miles away from his house. with only one button press on a menu first. Once he was up and running everything on the computer wanted to run updates. Needless to say he didn't get on the internet that day!
    Quote Quote