VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm downloading it now. I hope it is as good as everyone says...but I don't think I will switch from XP yet though. Anyone else here running it already?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I am installing it right now. I am curious!
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't get my wireless network to work on my macbook...bye bye ubuntu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Currently running 7.04. I just finished downloading 7.10. Now I hope upgrading will be an easy process. Anyone here have any experience upgrading from an earlier version of Ubuntu?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have found Unbuntu 6 and 7.04 to be a very underwelming experience. Hardware support, especially wireless and graphics cards, are a pain in the arse. Yes, you get a desktop, but actually getting decent drivers installed is not as simple as it should be. Also tried Unbuntu Studio, and found it to be pretty much as useless.

PCLinux is a much better starter Linux than Ubuntu, but neither are Windows Killers.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I gave up on linux when XP came out. For ease of use and compatibility I'll stick with Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like ubuntu. It's great and it's 'almost there'. At least for ease and flexibility. I still use XP and Vista, but with just a bit more work Linux distros would rule. Most of us jaded MS fans aren't used to having to work a bit to get a OS working properly.

The only fear I have is MS buying up anything Linux and molding it to their own plans.

Keep trying Linux, you're sooo close. JMO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded & install 7.10 on a 2GB USB stick. Very slow boot, but most things work ok. Personally, I like more Mandriva 2008
    Now, I download ubuntustudio 7.10 (this distro is more for "us", the video / audio enthusiasts).

Also I like to mention that Ubuntu 7.10 didn't like my WD E-Book for some reason...
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ubuntu only supports NTFS read by default. You have to explicitly install extra packages to get write support for NTFS. I suspect your e-book is (rightfully) formatted as NTFS. Most distros ship with only NTFS read support out of the box, which is a pity because a good Live-CD is a great recover tool, if it can write to your external drives.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't knew that. I shall try it!

in the meanwhile, I need to get a 800MB CD, cause Ubuntustudio is around 800MB...
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Most distros ship with only NTFS read support out of the box, which is a pity because a good Live-CD is a great recover tool, if it can write to your external drives.
    MEPIS ships with NTFS write support out of the box. There is also some Mac extras which may work better with Baldrick's Macbook. They are still in beta with the 7.x version, so it may be better to wait for an RC or the final release.

With this version, they dropped the Ubuntu base, and went back to Debian roots.
    Quote Quote