VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks,
    I have a VideoCD of a band in concert that i purchased all nice and legal like here in Germany back in 1994. For some reason, the sounds "squelches" once in a while when played on my computer or if I go through the usual steps detailed here for converting VCDs to DVDs.

It is a VCD authoered according to VCD standard 1.0 and it its CD-i compatible.
    I wrote a lengthy process about how to rip it over a year ago: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic303571.html

As I stated then, the squelching was still a problem.

When my VCR broke, I got a new DVD player/VCR combo (LG 280) because my current DVD player, a Thomson, doesn't like rewritable DVDs. Then I got to thinking.

I recordeded the VCD to VHS using the highest possible quality tape and the best qulaity settings. The LG 280 automatially stops at the end of the VCD so this is easy.

I was surprised to se ethat the audio synching and squelching no longer occured!

I then used my ADVC 300 to "capture" the VCD into my computer and authoered as normal. te ADVC and he LG 280 both have smooth/sharp settings and other settings to improve the quality of the film.

I am much more pleased with the result than the pure digital conversion process.

Again, I don't know if this is primarily because of the VCD itself and I know recording to analog seems daft but it fixed my problem!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't take this the wrong way, but one possibility for the (oddly uncharactaristic) worse digital transfer you mentioned (as opposed to this analog method) is that it seems very Bass-Ackward.

It doesn't get much simpler than going from VCD to DVD.

1. Rip each VCD to Harddrive using VCDEasy (vcdxrip tool)--it'll give you a MPG1 file (along with XML of the structure, etc) for each disc that you rip. Assuming it's a regular movie, it'll have to be 2 or 3 discs.
    2. Demux using TMPGEnc--even if you have the shareware/trial version, you can mux/demux MPEG1 freely. Now you have M1V mpeg1 video + MP2 mpeg1layer2 audio. The video is 352x288@25fps (since you're in PAL land). The audio is 44.1kHz stereo. You should have 3 M1Vs and 3 MP2s (one for each disc).
    3. Convert MP2 to WAV in Goldwave, while simultaneously samplerate converting to 48kHz. Goldwave seems to have less difficulty than Audacity in this respect (capability with MP2, no "squeching").
    4. Nothing needs to be done to the video at all for it to be DVD-compliant (1/4 D1).
    5. Load the 3 M1Vs and the 3 48k WAVs into your authoring app of choice (but please, no NERO!) and author and burn your PAL DVD (concatenating into 1 single movie if that's what you want, or leaving as 3 segments).

Shouldn't have any "squelching" or whatever, should have better picture quality than the analog method.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Scott,
    I tried that and many variations of it and it didn't work. I had Donald Graft aka Neuron2 look at the VCDs and he confirmed that something was slightly odd about them, probably because of the CD-i.

So thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote